Non-Resident MA CWP info needed? :MERGED

This is a discussion on Non-Resident MA CWP info needed? :MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so, what justification did you put on your form? Thanks, Mike...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

If so, what justification did you put on your form?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I tried calling and requesting a packet, but the Statie told me its only available to people outside Mass, I said I was just visiting and they wanted me to provide my out-of-state address to send the packet . LOL

Every forum I'm a member of has been with mostly residents of Mass ( except this forum ) so the members there usually dont need a NR LTC.
    Using google search , I found everyone to be saying , they are LTC ALP ( FULL CCW rights ) . They go thru the State Police and dont require the stupid process that Local CLEO administer .

I dont know what the application form looks like as I was unable to get one, but all said, for purpose you only need to put 3 words "All Lawful Purpose"

The forums that I've found members that stated they received their LTC-ALP , those members haven't logged into those sites in over 8 months.
    I was trying to locate an "active forum" member to send a PM and request details as to how they applied.

But like said, everyone has said they know out-of-staters that received LTC-ALP

Q: Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

A: M.G.L. c. 140, 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.

If you ever get a good answer to that question, please post it. I will be doing the NR LTC for MA in the next few months and I'm not sure if htey will except "All lawful purpopses" or if you have to justify your security in a more detailed term.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I called the phone number listed on the states website and left a message, and I received the application package within a few days. Problem is, there is a question pertaining to "reason for requesting temporary license to carry firearms".

All Lawful purposes is a check box option, but it goes on to say "give detailed reasons why this type of license is requested. Applicant must have reason to fear injury to person or property".

So, I am wondering exactly what to put in this field to ensure that the license gets approved.

Thanks all,

Mike

EDIT: Some more info here: http://www.goal.org/PDF/nonres.pdf
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    TTBOMK, "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" works, without any long sordid tale. However, I am not an expert on the NR LTC, as I am a "subject" of the Commie-wealth.

If I have the URL correctly, the following 4MB file is a scan of the MA NR LTC application. You can't use it in lieu of the "package" they send you because they will bounce your application if you don't use the proper (special) fingerprint card they supply. But it will give you an idea of what you need to put together for info to fill out the form correctly.

http://st25.startlogic.com/~wikkidpi...NR_LTC_App.pdf

I have a MA nonres license for the past 3 years (have to renew every year).

I have a page typed out which involves my job description, doing my job in terrible MA neighborhoods, and involving medical equipment. I also detail my shootin/firearms experience, and inform them that I know the legal ramifications of a SD shooting.

jamz,

Thanks for the reply. I don't work in MA, but we do travel through the state frequently to visit relatives in NH, and we take my son to Children's in Boston on a semi-regular basis. I don't know if that is enough justification to obtain a permit.

Also, is the renewal cost $100/yr, or just $100 for the first year?

- Thomas Jefferson

Mike that renewal cost is _per_ year per renewal.
    Payment is upfront at time of application and there is no guarantee of acceptance/allowance nor is there any refund of fee(s) paid if rejected, or issued an unusable downgrade permit such as LTC-A with a condition of "Spoting Only" or LTC-B which contrary to the licenses nomenclature being 'License To Carry' in fact does not at all allow carry of any firearm whatsoever.

I have a resident MA LTC and residents are required to provide same toward a reason for ones request.
    Like Jamz I cited similar and went along the lines that in my daily travels and involvement with or amongst the public I may carry, bear, or wear products and goods that may be perceived to be of value and desire to those with criminal intent. I went on to state that I am not requesting a permit to protect those items as that is unlawful, in MA. I am though requesting said permit for purposes of protection and defense toward my person.

When I went in for the mandatory interview with my towns licensing authority, and I live in a town with a strong anti gun modern day history (last 50 yrs.), the officer read over my application, read down to my paragraph written in neatly by hand, he looked up at me, smiled (he had been stone faced the whole time prior), and said "Everything looks okay".

Take your time, don't go into it's my right/2A etc. type crap as you'll be auto figured out to be a loony, be _doubly sure_ to fill out everything fully,legibly and correctly (as I was advised by others including a retired issuing authority), and basically don't give them even the slightest reason or out to deny you...if there is no other lawful reason to deny you.

Best of luck!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am also a resident of the commiewealth, I was instructed by the local PD that putting "all lawful purposes" was not enough and to expand the reasoning with hunting, personal protection, target shooting, etc. would be good enough.

Janq,

So if I read your post right, you did not provide any specific reasons (large sums of money, restraining order against a violent ex, etc), but rather a generality. That is along the lines of what I am looking for.

Does similar justification have to be provided at each renewal?

Thanks everyone for all of the help and information.

Mike

- Thomas Jefferson

Isnt it terrible that Florida will give someone without a LTC in their homestate a NONRESIDENT Permit
    yet Massachusetts give you hell to get one even if you acquired one in a "may issue" state such as Connecticut

BTW,

Took the Utah CCW class this morning. Now I just need to get fingerprinted again (the local PD and I are almost on a first name basis), get a couple of passport photo's and send in the $65. Unfortunately the Utah permit is so popular that processing time is up to around 90-100 days I'm told.

- Thomas Jefferson

As to the MA NR, Mine is still in the breeze....

But "ALP" shoud do the trick to get a class A NR LTC.

There are no class B NR LTCs issued because a B LTC means nothing to a nonresident. Target & Hunting (aka locked and unloaded) are covered by free passage

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Janq,

So if I read your post right, you did not provide any specific reasons (large sums of money, restraining order against a violent ex, etc), but rather a generality. That is along the lines of what I am looking for.

Does similar justification have to be provided at each renewal?
    Yep, and yes.

I could not honestly answer that I carry large sums of money.
    Hell I don't carry money at all, aside from several quarters to feed the town meter.
    I have had no restraining orders and such drama. I've to date been fortunate, and lucky, keeping my legal nose squeaky clean and straight.
    After doing alot of research toward this effort prior to actually applying I deduced that what is required is not so much a reason to carry but a reasonable reason to not be disallowed carry.
    I went at it like an entrance paper to college or work proposal toward a contract bid. Provide info as to why I should not be disallowed, not why I should be allowed.
    As to my statements in specific they were all completely truthful and accurate, and as you noted generalized and in fact nonspecific.
    The same could and would apply to anyone, any one of us citizens.

Look at it this way...
    Recall the scene in Rasing Arizona when H.I. McDonough goes to the parole board and they remark about his being a fool in the past and that they don't want to see him continuing down the same path in the future. The interviewer then asks what does he think. To which H.I. replies yes I was a fool in the past and I don't want to continue down that same path.
    The parole board interviewer then states; "Boy, you aren't just telling us what we want to hear are you?!".
    To which H.I. replies no, that would be a fool thing to do.
    The parole board interviewer responds; "Well, okay then.", and the next scene shows H.I. being approved and released. That's what's going on here, I think.

Like Jamz, who I happen to know, I too provided an abundance of supporting information to show I was not a 'fool' and thus low risk candidate. This included photocopies of my VA resident CHP as well as my 13 yr. old long ago expired resident MA LTC 'Sporting & Hunting' from when I lived here during my 20s, which in itself looked favorably for me.
    Also I included copies of the gunfu courses I'd taken to date, copies of gun club membership cards, my NRA member card, and the as required references were top tier too in perception as I'd detailed their professional titles one of which was out of state.
    Does any of this guarantee that I'm not a nut bag or a person who go off the reservation at any moment and shoot up my local Dick's or murder my wife & kids? Nope. But it all looks really good and that's all that folks want so that when their boss/mayor/governor or 60 Minutes shows up at their office they can say hey look on paper he looked to be premium.
    I don't like it nor think as much is fair or accurate but this thing is a game just like checkers or chess. Or so it seems to my view.

When my own renewal comes up I expect and plan to repeat the same exact procedure. Your own renewal would be same only annually, which IMHO is a complete rip off.
    Anyway again it's about reasonable reason(s) to not be disallowed.
    Let that be your mind set FTW.

Good luck!

- Janq

P.S. - Getting an LTC to carry a firearm under 'All Lawful Purposes' aka unrestricted in MA is the toughest firearm possession and carry criterion and evaluation of any state in the union, that actually does issue as much (unlike say MD). Lots and lots of people are denied outright deemed as "unsuitable" for capricious reasons by town issuing authorities or they are downgraded on their application to either LTC-A with a limitation of 'Sporting' use only which means what exactly (!)? Or they are further downgraded to an LTC-B which contrary to it's 'License To Carry' nomenclature doesn't actually allow any sort of firearm carry what so ever. Seriously.
    If you can pull it off here then doing so anywhere else will be cake, and even as no states reciprocate with MA having a MA LTC-A to show others upon application for documentation purposes will for those that know and understand as much make you look pretty darn good to their own non MA po-po perception. Not that as much should matter toward a person who is not a felon, not have a record of abuse/violence toward others, is of age to own a firearm per federal laws, and is a human being in possession of a life and is thus living.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

massachusetts non-resident LTC?

Hi all I'm wanting to apply for a non resident Massachusetts ltc but have questions. First off is any NRA safety course acceptible to them?,being I'm in florida how does this work? Do I just take a basic pistol safety course here in Florida and just send them the certificate with my application?

secondly how long does it take to get the permit and does it restrict what gun I can carry? I believe they ask for a typed letter asking why I'm seeking a permit whats the best thing to put for this? Thanks for any help guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links