Dropped the gun in public

This is a discussion on Dropped the gun in public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I were in WalMart today. I was pushing the cart and she was in front of the cart on the right side. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped the gun in public

My wife and I were in WalMart today. I was pushing the cart and she was in front of the cart on the right side. I heard something heavy hit the floor. I looked down and caught a glimpse of something on the floor. Before I could say anything she had bent down and picked up her handgun. Some people had looked and froze as she walked back and handed it to me. I had given it right back and told her to just stick it in her pocket for now. She did. After we got home I realized why it fell out. She wears hers so to cross draw. Sitting down presses the pistol upward each time. I figured that when she got into the car it had pushed it upward enough to come out, but her sweat shirt was keeping it from completely falling out. Now she has switched to a strong side carry. I also told her that each time I get up from sitting I always make it a habit to reach down and make sure that my gun is completely seated in the holster. I had also told her that if that happens again to just place it in her pocket and do not fumble with trying to replace it into the holster as someone who looks would see her hand on it out of the holster and may get the wrong idea. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you respond? Do you think it better to just "Pocket" the gun and get it out of sight then replace in the holster in a more private area?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Would that be a molded holster? Items should be worn where activities like sitting, squatting, or bending over won't change the weapon retention/status in any way. If I feel something has been compromised, I'll check it immediately and fix it if necessary. Yeah--I'd pocket the pistol immediately and not fumble around with it. I just couldn't imagine the embarrassment in that situation. I'd go to the nearest restroom and re-secure the gun and my wits. I would also exit the restroom preparing myself for the possibility of a few law enforcement officers wanting to ask questions when I emerged. Too many cell-phone happy people out there that would like nothing better than to see some action on a Friday afternoon and take home something to talk about. We all make mistakes. Learn from them. I'd take a serious look at alternative methods for carry, and practice at home where the learning environment won't be quite as embarrassing.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

It wasn't mentioned what holster she was using.
    I feel confident a good molded leather holster would go a long way in keeping her pistol secure.
    Make it a habit to periodically check it's status also.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Just get in the habit of hugging each other often. You can both check each other's piece that way!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Just get in the habit of hugging each other often. You can both check each other's piece that way!
    Each others "piece"? In public?

VIP Member
    Like others have said, check her holster. With her gun holstered turn upside down, Does the gun fall out freely? Does it retain the gun when shaken? If it falls freely when turned upside down I would replace the holster with one that doesn't.
    At least you live in a state where open carry is legal. Gives you the option of a quick pull up of the outer garment to check real quick without violating the law.
    Still trying to get my wife use to me open carrying when we goo out to eat. I refuse to not wear my gun, and she refuses to eat my cooking!!

Get a holster with a Thumb Retension Strap

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Get a holster with a Thumb Retension Strap

Thats the one!! i will look into that as I feel at times I could use the same myself. Who makes this? My wife and I both use a Uncle Mikes Side Kick, no retention at all with those.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I saw a similar thing in a motorcycle shop last summer. A good friend had his pancake holster come completely off and hit the floor. It was a small shop. Only myself and one other saw it. I still laugh at this.

Galco has some thumb break holsters at www.usgalco.com.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    A good holster goes a long way toward retaining your gun and avoiding such situations. Also , whenever you get a new/different holster, wear it around the house for a day or 2 all day.
    Another way to check holster retention is roll around on the floor once. typically , anything that falls out isn't gonna stay during a violent encounter if you get pushed down.
    IMO , best to just replace the gun in the holster. BG's don't typically wear holsters and many people might just figure you are o.k. if you act casual replacing it. (however embarrassing)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had that sickening thump happen to me not long ago with my 1911. Ordered this and it is even more comfortable than my custom built leather holster was.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhaw...op-paddle.html

Administrator
    Uncle Mikes...that helps explain why that happened.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I was buying paint at a local store last week in NY and my extra p239 mag went flying across the floor when I bumped into a counter.....oops, I just picked it up and pretended that I dropped a paint brush!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Uncle Mikes...that helps explain why that happened.
    me too
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links