Carried IWB for the first time today - Observations (long)

This is a discussion on Carried IWB for the first time today - Observations (long) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As lame as it sounds, I carried IWB for the *first* time today even though I've had a permit for years, both here and in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

As lame as it sounds, I carried IWB for the *first* time today even though I've had a permit for years, both here and in a previous state. I've carried concealed in public before, just not IWB. I mainly keep the pistol in my car but it's nice to have a legal carry option if needed. The reason I carried for a while today is because I was having some work done on my car and I wasn't going to leave the pistol in the hands of "whoever."

Gear:

Springfield XD 45 Compact (4-inch barrel)
    Brommeland MaxCon V
    The Wilderness original Instructor belt
    Extra 13-round mag in left front pocket
    Khaki pants (NOT a waist size too big)
    T-shirt and light windbreaker

Here's how it went.

The drive to the shop wasn't the highest level of comfort I've ever had. I need to lean slightly to the left to be comfortable. So I got there and checked in for the work to be done. Walking and standing upright turned out to be perfectly comfortable.

So now I had about two hours to wait or entertain myself.

First, I stepped up to the nearby mall because I wanted to see what their deal was on guns, mainly in light of the recent Omaha mall shooting. The rules placard in the foyer said something to the effect of, "No weapons, permit or not," so I walked away. I sure hope they never have an armed crazy in that blissful gun-free zone since law-abiding citizens are prohibited from carrying there.

I left there and walked around for a while, then went into a book store, making sure that there was no "weapons prohibited" sign. There wasn't, which surprised me in a way because book sellers tend to be a bit, shall we say, liberal.

Once inside, it was a bit warm so I decided to unzip the windbreaker. I went to the restroom once, mainly to have a look in the mirror and assure myself that I wasn't printing. Not a bit. I went to the magazine rack and read a few articles over the next 45 minutes or so.

Then it was getting close to the time for my work to be finished, so I started walking back there. They hadn't pulled my car out of the shop yet, so I sat down in their little waiting room. Three other people soon came in, minding their own business just like I was. Then I saw that my car was out of the shop, so I wandered around the lobby until I could pay and leave.

Overall observations:

All in all, a good experience. Any time I pulled a book from the top shelf in the bookstore, I did so with my left hand. Neither my t-shirt or the jacket exactly reaches to the ground.

Every once in a while, I would casually reach down and grab both sides of my shirt and pull it down, making sure that the right side hadn't snagged on the pistol or holster. Never happened.

Going to the restroom isn't a barrel of fun with an Instructor belt and a holster attached. Very minor complaint, though.

I wear size 34 pants, khaki's in this case. As mentioned above, I didn't go to a size larger for IWB carry. Sure, it snugs them up a bit but I suspect that the belt contributes to that about as much as the holster. I also believe that denim jeans wouldn't have been as forgiving.

I found that the muzzle of the XD makes reinserting my wallet into the back pocket a bit awkward, but nothing major.

Sitting in a regular chair back at the lobby wasn't bad at all, unlike driving with it.

I was very casual and I like to *think* that I wasn't conspicuous by constantly checking myself like some in the stories I've read here.

I'll definitely do it again.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Congratulations. It's going to take a while for you to tweak everything and find that "sweet spot" for carry.

By the way, I switched to a front pocket wallet... works great!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It takes a while to find "that spot", but you've got one of the best IWB holsters in the world. I'd recommend investing in a leather gunbelt by any of the top makers. That Wilderness belt just screams "I"M CARRYING". Great for the range, but a Sparks or Brommeland 1 1/2" belt is incognito, yet does the job wonderfully. I'd also buy a couple of pairs of jeans and Dockers a size larger for added comfort. An off-side mag pouch will balance out the feel and keep that big wad out of your pocket. Don't fall into the rookie trap of "checking" yourself often. Don't look in every window or mirror you pass to see if you're printing. A subtle bump with your elbow will tell you everything's OK. Good luck, you'll become more comfortable with IWB every time you go out.
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    As lame as it sounds, I carried IWB for the *first* time today
    Gear:

Springfield XD 45 Compact (4-inch barrel)
    Brommeland MaxCon V
    The Wilderness original Instructor belt
    Extra 13-round mag in left front pocket
    Khaki pants (NOT a waist size too big)
    T-shirt and light windbreaker

I'll definitely do it again.
    When I carry my XD9 I do it IWB in a CTAC holster. I look for trousers with elastic in the waistband rather than buying them large. I use either my Beltman or my Wilderness belts. This is a very comfortable carry for me and I have long ago got past the self conscious feeling of carrying in public. So will you.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    That Wilderness belt just screams "I"M CARRYING".
    Well, it was concealed, too. I was wearing the t-shirt outside of the pants.

But in dress attire, which would be rare for me, I could totally see it sticking out like a sore thumb.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    When I carry my XD9 I do it IWB in a CTAC holster. I look for trousers with elastic in the waistband rather than buying them large. I use either my Beltman or my Wilderness belts. This is a very comfortable carry for me and I have long ago got past the self conscious feeling of carrying in public. So will you.
    Wow. I can't believe I hadn't thought about that, especially since I used to wear the elastic-waisted pants, anyway. It's been a few years.

I guess I need to go shopping. Just not at that mall!

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Congratulations. It's going to take a while for you to tweak everything and find that "sweet spot" for carry.
    Funny that you should say that.... After the fact, I realized that I was probably carrying it a bit too far back. It was around the 5:00 position and it probably should have been more like 4:00-4:30. Some experimentation is in order.

-miklcolt45

3:30 or 4:00 oclock works great for me in a VM2H.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Being a "large" person, IWB is not an option..you being of average size, can pull it off. Would be curious to know your thoughts when the wx warms up this next summer, think you would still "like" IWB?

Administrator

Question

"I mainly keep the pistol in my car but it's nice to have a legal carry option if needed."

So...you're fairly certain that at some unknown future point in time when you really need your firearm to save your bacon the SHTF scenario will happen in your car and no place else?

How does the Wilderness belt make it unpleasant to visit the bathroom?

Carried IWB for the first time

I find the most comfortable spot for me IWB carry is strong side just behind side pants seam with the belt clip on my Kel-tec P32. The grip disappears behind the belt, I also use an Uncle Mikes Sidekick #1 holster in the same position or in front (appendix position). With the holster the gun sits up higher with grip over the belt.
    In time I'm sure you'll find your "sweet" spot.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I slap my IWB holster on my hip at 3 o'clock, then slide it back until the bulk of it clears the hip bone. That's when I stop it and attach it to the belt. It usually winds up at 4:00.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I mainly keep the pistol in my car but it's nice to have a legal carry option if needed."

So...you're fairly certain that at some unknown future point in time when you really need your firearm to save your bacon the SHTF scenario will happen in your car and no place else?
    Well, you have to consider my daily routine. I'm a single dad of two(widowed) and I can't carry at work, I can't carry at my kids' daycare or school, and I can't carry in most of the places where I eat lunch.

I see your point and if it were an option, I would have it on my hip throughout most of the day, but that's really not feasible. On the up side, my car is pretty much wherever I am or at least within several yards thereof. I know that might be useless if the SHTF, but it's better than not having access to a gun at all. I'll carry IWB whenever and wherever I can.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    How does the Wilderness belt make it unpleasant to visit the bathroom?
    Not to be crude, but I'm not unbuckling that rig to take a wizz. I'll use the zipper, as opposed to unsnapping.

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links