Georgia Aquarium "Security"

This is a discussion on Georgia Aquarium "Security" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from visiting my sister in Atlanta. Now, she doesn't live in the city, she lives in the woods about 40 miles ...

Thread: Georgia Aquarium "Security"

Georgia Aquarium "Security"

I just got back from visiting my sister in Atlanta. Now, she doesn't live in the city, she lives in the woods about 40 miles away. While we were there, we took the kids the the Georgia Aquarium. I couldn't take the gun due to Ohio having no reciprocity with GA, but I did take my EDC knife, which is a Boker SubCom (I love this knife) Anyway, as we were approaching, I could see that the "security" personnel were wanding people at the entrance, and I really didn't feel like walking all the way back to the car, so I put my knife in the side pocket of my wifes backpack (much to her chagrin) As I got closer, I noticed a large sign out front that read "No Guns, No Knives, and No Lighters for the protection of our guests" Really no lighters, how stupid. When we got to the front of the line, my wife opened the main compartment of her backpack to show the "security" person. He gave it a cursory glance and asked her if there was any prohibited item. She said no and he let her pass. When I went through, at the last second I remembered my keys, and removed them from my pocket and held them in my hand to show them. It was then that I realized...The metal detector wasn't even on. I looked around to the other "security" performing this screening, and none of there wands were on that I could see. Oh how I love fake @ss security to make the feel safe. I could have just as easily taken a gun in there with no problem.

Of course all of this is hypothetical and no criminal trespassing was committed.

2. Remove Ads

A local skating rink installed a metal detector, mostly to make parents feel safe. I went there to pick up the kids one night. I had already removed my jacket and as I approached the detector the guy monitoring it said "let me take your coat". I gave it to him and walked through. He handed the coat back to me without sending it through the detector and said thanks.
    Left me wondering if he didn't scan it because I was an "old guy" or if he was just dumb. If he did the same for the gang banger types they're trying to exclude, their methods aren't working!
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

lol... sheepeople make me laugh. All of these security measures are worthless. If someone is determined enough they can bring a weapon in anywhere. I think anyone with a legal concealed carry license should be allowed to carry anywhere. My $0.02 anyway.
    Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Article 1, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Hell, our local jail has a metal detector at the entrance to the visitors waiting room. Guess what? It's a fake!

Several years ago, our courts ordered metal detectors for each court door on an emergency basis. They were bought, installed, and turned off in 2 weeks because they were too "noisy". Now everone is checked upon entering the building. Better idea anyway...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Colorado CCW Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by uflnuceng View Post
    lol... sheepeople make me laugh. All of these security measures are worthless. If someone is determined enough they can bring a weapon in anywhere. I think anyone with a legal concealed carry license should be allowed to carry anywhere. My $0.02 anyway.
    I heard a Colorado Congressman the other day on a talk show say he wanted to introduce a new CCW rider on your CCW. If you were willing to take the training through the local Sheriff Dept you would have an endorsement that meant you were basically just like a LEO in the carry dept. No liability if defending yourself or innocent citizens, could carry in all schools regardless of school policy.

I'm not sure he will get it passed. It was in response to the church shooting in Co. Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkat View Post
    I just got back from visiting my sister in Atlanta. Now, she doesn't live in the city, she lives in the woods about 40 miles away. While we were there, we took the kids the the Georgia Aquarium. I couldn't take the gun due to Ohio having no reciprocity with GA, but I did take my EDC knife, which is a Boker SubCom (I love this knife) Anyway, as we were approaching, I could see that the "security" personnel were wanding people at the entrance, and I really didn't feel like walking all the way back to the car, so I put my knife in the side pocket of my wifes backpack (much to her chagrin) As I got closer, I noticed a large sign out front that read "No Guns, No Knives, and No Lighters for the protection of our guests" Really no lighters, how stupid. When we got to the front of the line, my wife opened the main compartment of her backpack to show the "security" person. He gave it a cursory glance and asked her if there was any prohibited item. She said no and he let her pass. When I went through, at the last second I remembered my keys, and removed them from my pocket and held them in my hand to show them. It was then that I realized...The metal detector wasn't even on. I looked around to the other "security" performing this screening, and none of there wands were on that I could see. Oh how I love fake @ss security to make the feel safe. I could have just as easily taken a gun in there with no problem.

Of course all of this is hypothetical and no criminal trespassing was committed.
    Yeah I went there with my family last summer and it was a joke, also can't believe how many people they let in, made me ready to come home to Idaho.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I noticed a large sign out front that read "No Guns, No Knives, and No Lighters for the protection of our guests" Really no lighters, how stupid.
    Have to make the sheeple feel safe and secure.....and the lighters, definitely forbid them from being taken in....nothing more dangerous then the notorius Assault Bic Lighter. Did you know those things are also on the Saturday Night Special Lighter list? Cost less than $1.50, capable of over 500 lights and they are designed as a throw away so they are not tracable!!! I think the Brady Bunch has plans in the works for an all out ban on them, and if that fails a 2 month waiting period on buying one, along with a 1 per year limit!! I feel SO MUCH safer with all those good hearted, right (or is that left) thinking people out there looking after my well being!!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to make the sheeple feel safe and secure.....and the lighters, definitely forbid them from being taken in....nothing more dangerous then the notorius Assault Bic Lighter. Did you know those things are also on the Saturday Night Special Lighter list? Cost less than $1.50, capable of over 500 lights and they are designed as a throw away so they are not tracable!!! I think the Brady Bunch has plans in the works for an all out ban on them, and if that fails a 2 month waiting period on buying one, along with a 1 per year limit!! I feel SO MUCH safer with all those good hearted, right (or is that left) thinking people out there looking after my well being!!

Also read they are looking at banning those dangerous stick matches, people can sharpen them, and make weapons out of them.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Way to go! Blame it on the wife. I assume you have a very comfortable couch in your garage!

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    A local skating rink installed a metal detector, mostly to make parents feel safe. I went there to pick up the kids one night. I had already removed my jacket and as I approached the detector the guy monitoring it said "let me take your coat". I gave it to him and walked through. He handed the coat back to me without sending it through the detector and said thanks.
    Left me wondering if he didn't scan it because I was an "old guy" or if he was just dumb. If he did the same for the gang banger types they're trying to exclude, their methods aren't working!
    Essentially the same thing happened to me at an airport. I was carrying a coat and walked through setting off the alarm. I laid the coat down while searching for metal in my pockets, put my keys and stuff in the little basket, walked around and back through without setting off the alarm. Then I picked up my coat, which I had not taken back through the gate and walked on with no one saying a word.

Links