Stealth - an observation

Stealth - an observation

This is a discussion on Stealth - an observation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am frequently guilty of ''appearing'' in the house when my wife does not expect it! She is yet to really fully utilize condition yellow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth - an observation

Assistant Administrator

Stealth - an observation

I am frequently guilty of ''appearing'' in the house when my wife does not expect it! She is yet to really fully utilize condition yellow - something along with shooting practice we need to work on.

Over and above that tho I realize thast for more years than I can remember - I move around with some degree of stealth - it has to be an old habit. My wife would use the word ''sneaky''

I do tho open and close doors quietly, I tread light with or without shoes and attempt to be unheard. So I wonder, is this just a ''me'' thing or do we mostly in fact have some degree of this as CCW's.?

My reasoning is that I want to be one step ahead of any intruder in a home, or even elsewhere to be as unseen and unheard as I can. Could be I used this instinctively way back, when I had no options for carry altho I did always have a blade.

So - who else is ''sneaky'' by default?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I tend to walk softly myself. However my girlfriend seems to do the same , so I don't really sneak up on her often. it does startle my mother , when I am visiting sometimes.

Administrator

Talking I can't sneak up on anything or anybody

because my dog follows me wherever I go.
    I mean wherever I go...any room...any time "Day or Night" - upstairs downstairs ~ 50 times in a row & she is right at my heels.
    We have all hardwood floors and her paws click on the floor.

Me...Sneaking up on somebody would sound exactly like this:
    tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick~tick tick tick tick

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    So - who else is ''sneaky'' by default?
    (sneaks into thread)

yes, I am "sneaky by default"

(sneaks out of thread)
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    "Stealth - an observation", Isn't that an oximoron?

I've bee surprising people for years. At work it got so bad I've gotton into the habit of even knocking on cubes, or else I have to stand there.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Stealth

Guilty.

As a kid I used to wander and play in the woods behind our house quite a bit. I also was something of a student of "Indian" ways and used to practice the soft ("flat") footfall. All of those years of practice "play" apparently stayed with me. I still play hide and seek with my Lab to teach him to keep track of me. I am routinely accused of "sneaking up" on people - though I rarely do it intentionally. A couple of friends tell me I have a talent for "slithering".

I keep track of what boards in our house "creak" and avoid them. I tend to walk up staircases on the outer edge of the steps to minimize the creaks. All of this has become second nature to me. I guess old habits die hard.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

I think it's a lifestyle a lot of us fall into thru habit and necessity rather than by design. I've alway's been "quiet" by nature. Add to that the fact I come from a large family and my parents worked odd hours. It seemed there was always someone sleeping and there were so many people around (6 kids, 2 parents, grandparents and various other relatives from time to time) that we had to be "quiet" just to keep noise down to a reasonable level. Later, after I joined the military and had kids (6) of my own, circumstances were pretty much the same. Even now, I'm a night owl and with 3 school age children still at home, I've just kept my old habit of being "invisible". Add to that I enjoy hunting & fishing, two activities that require quiet and stealth, I guess I'm going to have to vote for being a sneak.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Moderator
    Stealth...or lack of...

My deer hunting buddies and me take great pleasure in seeing how close we can get to each other when hunting. Keeping a tree in the way of them and never being able to see them when walking up behind them very slowly and easy had allowed me to tap them on the shoulder many a time over the years.

If that happens they are the subject of much ribbing and harrassment.One morning when squirrel hunting I walked up on the same guy who prides himself on being always aware, 3 times in the space of about 4 hours and harrassed him unmercifully about it. JimBob was his name. He just smiled and said that "paybacks are a *****". I knew I had something coming, I just didnt know what...

A few weeks later me, him and one other went squirrel hunting again. We all drove there in a 4 door Ford F250.4 wheel drive. This truck is jacked up and looks like the typical redneck truck complete with winch and large knobby tires...in fact, one has to pull himself up into it.

We had made arrangements to meet at the truck around noon, and two of us met there about the same time, both of us had a limit of squirrels. Hunting was good that morning and it was a beautiful morning. So we got up into the truck and sat in the front sit engaging in th normal chitchat while waiting for JimBob to get there. Due to the weather, we had left all of the doors open, using the back seat to put our shotguns and packs. We were telling each other of our usual squirrel hunting exploits and the driver of the pickup mentions the fact that JimBob is a little late and that we need to get a moveon. We had been there for about 15 minutes.

Right then JimBob spoke. You dont have to wait on me...Ive been wondering why we are still here...

JimBob unbeknown to us, had snuck up in the back seat and had been listening to us for 10 minutes and neither one of us knew he was there. He was in the low profile mode and had been laying in the back seat. We or course blamed our inability to detect him on the fact that we are all wearing camoflage, and we had taken our jackets off and chunked them in the back seat which allowed him to blend into the "clutter". We assured him that between that and the guns laying around with varoius other equipment in the back that made up the mess that crawling in there and hiding could have been accomplished by any 7 year kid that had learned how to play hide and sneak.

He just smiled and lectured us about being in condition white and he mentioned the fact that had he been an indian he could have counted "coup" on us before he scalped us.How he could have walked up to us, stuck a gun in our ear and "had his way" with us if he so choose. About how two mighty hunters as us would have NEVER allowed someone to get so close without being noticed.

And so it goes. Everynow and then the story pops up amongst our various hunting buddies.We constantly practice our stealthy moves on each other and we take great pride in being able to sneak around as well as a certain sense of frustration when we allow somone to sneak up on us....

VIP Member
    Yep. So much so that there have been requests made that I wear a bell or some other noise maker so I quit scaring the bejeezus out of my co-workers. My wife, well she is just used to it.

-Scott-

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I tend to walk softly for a guy my size, but I rarely startle people. The reason is I carry a wad of keys that would make a Jail Keeper green with envy. I jingle slightly as I walk. If I stick them in my pocket or take them off my belt loop and lay them down it is a different story. I always was fair at sneaking up on people but I am a rank amateur to an old childhood friend of mine.

His name is David, and if he hadn't gotten injured they would have either kicked him out of the military in his first year for being so fruity or else he would be in some super duper elite sniper /reconnaissance group by now. He would lie in wait for hours just for the chance to scare the living daylights out of one of us) He used to just sort of appear and disappear in a room full of people. He was serious about this stuff. I actually watched him sneak up on a stray cat once. He stalked slowly across the lawn and leaned down next to it with his hands outstretched , his fingers curled like claws, teeth bared, and then made little tiny chirp like a small bird might make. When the cat looked up his fingers were almost touching it. The cat let out a sound that sounded remarkably scream, did a full back flip and promptly ran into a nearby tree stump before changing course and heading off to lands unknown. (BTW if you think startling a stray cat is easy try it some time they have incredible hearing and are skittish by nature. Yes I had to try it after I saw David do it but I never got close) One night I dropped by his house totally unannounced well after dark. I looked around the yard and house carefully, by now having had living daylights scared out of me too many times to count by this guy. I walked up the sidewalk onto the porch and rang the bell... nothing. I looked back out to the driveway to verify that his car was there, and that he wasn't preparing to ruin perfectly good pair of my underwear. Nobody was in sight. I rang the bell again... Nothing. I turned back around and David who was standing less than 4 feet from me, said quietly “boo”. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! I had a clear view of the yard and driveway and had been keeping my eyes on the only hiding spots for 30-50 ft. When I asked him where he had been hiding, he just shrugged and said "the roof". I asked what he had been doing on the roof, and the answer was "practicing". LOL.

Sadly, shortly after he got into the Marines, they found out about his messed up neck (2 bad vertebrae) and discharged him. I don’t think he ever got over it. He just hasn’t seemed to care about much of anything since the day he got home from the Marines.

I don't know if I'm 'sneaky' by default or for the same reasons. But a few months before hunting season rolls around, I make concious efforts to walk slower and quieter. I try to be more observant. Again, 'try' and 'effort' are key words.

My father is one of those naturally blessed people who are by default in condition yellow, orange, or whatever you call it. Nothing gets past him and he notices everything. I have heard people claiming that they are always aware and observant, but he doesn't even try - he just is and has always been that way. I have tried to maintain his level of awareness with much dissapointment. I suppose at some level their is some talent at play - some folks are just naturally inclined with stealth and awareness. I sure wish I was one of them - but I have to work my butt off just to be mediocre.

Assistant Administrator
    "Stealth - an observation", Isn't that an oximoron?
    Rick - you got me fair and square!
    (sneaks into thread)

yes, I am "sneaky by default"

(sneaks out of thread)
    LOL - very sneaky!

Thx for responses guys - more than I expected and it seems like overall we do tend this way - I had forgotten too re the hunting aspect - which I reckon always makes us better at stealth.

Some darned funny stories too - thx
    Chris - P95

Mom use to say if she didn't know otherwise she would swear I was half indian
    Spent many of my younger years (age 5 to 10) pretty much by myself in the woods with my BB gun sneeking up on all maner of small critters, just became second nature to move quiet.

I should start a thread 'When NOT to be sneaky'. When I started driving and obtaining my freedom as a teenager, I would often stay out late at night. I'm the oldest so nobody in the house was used to someone walking in at 1:00 AM in the morning. My parents were both pretty trusting so they pretty much let me set my own hours within limits (and as all teenagers, I sometimes pushed those limits).

One night weekend night I meant to spend the night at a friend's house but things fell through and I ended up going home pretty late. I think it was well after midnight. I had forgotten my house keys and I couldn't imagine ringing the door bell at 1:00 in the morning. My father had a pretty short fuse...

So being the brilliant teenager that I was I tried 'sneaking' in through a window. Well, I thought I did pretty well. Didn't make a damn noise. At least I didn't think so until the flashlight hit me in the eyes and I knew I had a Ruger Security Six pointed at me. I didn't even hear him get out of bed and I can't hardly believe he heard me. Well that was the end of the late night gallavanting. And we learned very quick that if we had to enter the house at night to make as much noise as possible.

Assistant Administrator
    Hehe - for sure - there will be times when (insufficiently skilled) ''sneaky'' is not so good .
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links