Gun Permit Applications Rise Since Westroads Shooting

This is a discussion on Gun Permit Applications Rise Since Westroads Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.ketv.com/newsarchive/14880200/detail.html "OMAHA, Neb. -- Applications for permits to buy handguns have more than doubled in Douglas County since the Westroads Mall shootings. More than 100 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Permit Applications Rise Since Westroads Shooting

Gun Permit Applications Rise Since Westroads Shooting

http://www.ketv.com/newsarchive/14880200/detail.html

"OMAHA, Neb. -- Applications for permits to buy handguns have more than doubled in Douglas County since the Westroads Mall shootings.

More than 100 applications have gone through the sheriff's office since the shootings.

After the nine deaths at Von Maur, people spoke repeatedly of the shock, fear and helplessness that they felt. The sentiment appeared in KETV.com's forum about the shootings." One poster wrote on Dec. 8: "I went out shopping yesterday for the first time since this happened. I visited four stores and I have to say it was a very daunting task. I was so nervous."

Some residents may be responding to their fear, filling out handgun permits and signing up for target practice.

"What we're seeing now is people wanting to defend themselves, be able to defend themselves," said Douglas County Chief Deputy Marty Bilek.

Bilek said his department issued 43 certifications in the week before the shootings -- in the week following, they issued 105.

"This is the largest spike we've ever seen," Bilek said.

Interest in concealed-carry permits is also up, though not as much, Douglas County reported.

The National Safety Council Omaha Chapter said it had canceled several training courses the last few months, but not in December.

"People are always concerned. They're just sad that it happened in Omaha, and I think they always want to know what they can do to help," said National Safety Council Omaha Chapter President Kay Farrell.

Some law enforcement officers said they are concerned, noting that people should have the right to own handguns, but those people also need to understand the risks and liabilities involved.

Bilek said that's why deputies heavily screen those who want a permit.

"For people who have sound judgment, and for people who have the proper training," Bilek said.

While permits to buy handguns may be up in Douglas County, they're not necessarily up elsewhere. Sarpy County, for example, said it has seen a small increase in permits issued, but they said it always goes up during the holidays because some people want to buy guns as gifts."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes it take a tragedy to wake up the sheep.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Sometimes it take a tragedy to wake up the sheep.
    Couldn't agree more.

sad sign of the times. I used to carry "just because". Now I carry "because I have to". I will not be a victim.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Am I reading that right that you need a permit to possess a handgun in Omaha? I knew the city was largely non-CCW, but that is ridiculous.

VIP Member
    Wouldn't it be great if we had enough armed citizens on the streets that the number of violent crimes in our nation actually went down? Maybe I'm just dreaming.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree with the above. I refuse to expect another to stand in my defense.

Maybe people are starting to realize that the only way to get immediate response in a bad situation is to be prepared to react yourself.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Heavily screen?

Who do the cops think they work for?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Yeah, I'd like to have a really clear definition of "heavily screen".

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Am I reading that right that you need a permit to possess a handgun in Omaha? I knew the city was largely non-CCW, but that is ridiculous.
    well i live in Bellevue, NE and in the state of Nebraska you must first acquire a firearms purchase permit. that is just a permit saying you passed a background check done by the local sheriffs department, cost $5. If you LIVE or BUY your handgun in Omaha, you have to register it with the Omaha police department. To open carry in Omaha you also have to have a separate permit. Of course you have to get a ccw to conceal one.

Permit to possess?
    Register?

What are these things you speak of? Have things gone that far out in Nebraska? Were we all sleeping while this snuck up on you guys out there?

Amazing isn't it? Just like it takes a city 20 or so recordable accidents at a given intersection before they put up a traffic signal. Personally, I bond more with those who have pioneered a field, saw an opportunity, and taken it, rather than those who have obviously needed some form of persuasion to take action. In my mind, their actions are elicited as compared to those with a sense of moral upstanding and principles. I have no sympathy for those that haven't heard the alarms, nor heeded advice-that the ship is sinking. If permits were granted on a first-come-first -served basis, I'd never give up my seat on the lifeboat to someone seemingly more in need.

The silly thing is, there have probably been a hundred other instances of violent crime since that mass shooting, which nobody's focusing on. An undefended mall one can almost plan for, but it's the violence everwhere that's hard to anticipate. Folks should have long since come to the conclusion that it's a risky world, and that being unarmed is a silly fool's hope. But, whatever floats your boat. So long as you can float.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It amazes me how Nebraska has changed since I moved away in 1985. Ernie Chambers has taken over! When I was in High School, virtually every truck in the parking lot had at least one shotgun in the back window rack, and nobody locked their doors. Too bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links