Louisiana CHP Test

This is a discussion on Louisiana CHP Test within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in LA and I have been carrying on a FL permit. I need to take the time and take the LA class and get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana CHP test

Louisiana CHP test

I'm in LA and I have been carrying on a FL permit. I need to take the time and take the LA class and get a LA permit.

I noticed that I will need to bring 36 rounds of ammo to the class.

Do any of you know what the shooting portion of the test includes?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I live in Louisiana also, and I have a non-resident FLA permit. When we had our class here, I think there were people in it that were applying for LA and FLA. We all shot the same shooting requirements.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

What was the shooting test? Was the target at a certain distance? Did you have to shoot a certain group?

I did not take a class, I used the hunter safety class to get my FL permit.

Unless it is different than most if you can hit the broad side of a barn you are good. In SC you have to shoot 50 rounds and the only ones I have ever seen fail are those that don't know which end of the gun the bullet comes out. Yes there were two ladies that could not shoot without closing their eyes and turning their heads. One hit the target once and the other twice at 3 yards.

In Arizona, I could qualify with a slingshot, it's that easy. Half my original class had never shot before, and everyone qualified.

This is the quote from the LA laws and rule book pertaining to the shooting requirements:

actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures:
    i. live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet and 15 feet for a
    total of 36 rounds;
    ii. each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun
    at each distance;
    iii. each applicant or permittee must score 100 percent hits within the silhouette
    portion of a N.R.A. B-27 type silhouette target with at least 36 rounds.

For detailed information, including a copy of the Laws and Rules book, go to http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

I hope this helps you.

LA Concealed Hangun Permit

Any exception... former/retired military, police, etc.? In VA all I needed was a DD214.

In Oklahoma the main requirement in the shooting test was that you not shoot the instructor. It's been quite a while since I took the test but I do remember the instructor saying that.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

That should not present a problem for anyone and hopefully will be a starting point to improve.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks. I was just curious, now I can practice at those distances. They're a little closer than I'm used too. I hope I can hit it.

I took the Louisiana course on the 1st of December. The rules as they were explained to us say you should demonstrate proficency by hitting a target with 12 rounds at 6 feet, 12 at 10 feet and 12 at 15 feet. Thats what makes up the 36 rounds. I recommend practice before you take the course. Our instructor had us shoot more than that with targets of varying difficulty before testing us. I mailed my application on the 3rd and have not recieved my permit yet. Hope it gets here soon.
    Last edited by Charliee; December 31st, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: error in content

In my class, we had to shoot 36 rounds into a B27 target at 6yds.

What blew me away is how many people needed 150-200rds to accomplish this task.

I did my qual with a Rossi 38 5-shot, 36 rounds in the 9-10 ring in about 8 minutes. Then I had to wait for the rest of the class, which seemed like hours.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

At least in my original course as soon as we qualified, the instructor sent us home for the remainder 8 hours of "weapons maintenance" practice!

Cool Initial Louisiana CHP does accept military....

Quote Originally Posted by Conaso View Post
    Any exception... former/retired military, police, etc.? In VA all I needed was a DD214.
    training (DD214) in lieu of the class. Permit renewal; however, requires the class.

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Cool When will it get here!

Quote Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
    I took the Louisiana course on the 1st of December. The rules as they were explained to us say you should demonstrate proficency by hitting a target with 12 rounds at 6 feet, 12 at 10 feet and 12 at 15 feet. Thats what makes up the 36 rounds. I recommend practice before you take the course. Our instructor had us shoot more than that with targets of varying difficulty before testing us. I mailed my application on the 3rd and have not recieved my permit yet. Hope it gets here soon.
    My permit was mailed on the 21st of December, and I haven't seen any trace of it. Of course it is only 55 miles to Baton Rouge and there were the holidays. I guess it will get here when hell freezes over. LOL
    Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links