Disney concealed carry and security observations

This is a discussion on Disney concealed carry and security observations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As promised during my recent visit to Disney World I paid special attention to security looked for details and information that would affect CHL holders. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disney concealed carry and security observations

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Disney concealed carry and security observations

As promised during my recent visit to Disney World I paid special attention to security looked for details and information that would affect CHL holders. We visited all the major venues and the only difference in security I noted between venues was that glass containers are not allowed into Animal Kingdom due to concerns with the animals and broken glass. Everything else below appeared to apply to all venues:

First off, with regard to Disney’s security personnel. Those that I saw appeared to be either retired law enforcement or current / prior military (Guard/ Reserve). No way to be sure of course, but if you’ve ever been in you know the “look”. While they may not be Jack Bauer I suspect that Disney hires fairly high quality people. Their entire operation was very high-class in all aspects: clean, infrastructure well maintained, polite and helpful personnel, etc. There’s no reason to believe they would scrimp on security.

Despite the number of visitors the security situation for Disney World is actually pretty good. It is isolated from anything else. To get to most of the major venues you must park at some distance and take Disney transportation to the venue. The Magic Kingdom, for example, is only accessible by boat or monorail. This breaks visitors up into manageable packets. If someone detonates a bomb on a monorail or ferry the number of possible casualties is relatively small. While the bag check at the entrances to the parks seemed fairly cursory and there was no search of a visitor’s person I don’t think their security is really geared to finding individual handguns. The security and transportation measures ensure that no long arms or large explosive devices can be brought in which would seem to be the major security threat. Maintenance operations are conducted when the park is closed. Thus outside access for large trucks and non-Disney support personnel is restricted to hours when the park is the least attractive target. I would also assume that, given they spend tens of thousands per night on fireworks, that there is provision for response to almost any conceivable threat. I know from an acquaintance that there were civil defense plans for visitors during the Cold War, and that those plans have morphed into response plans for WMD threats. Given Disney’s budget and the fact that they have to be high on some terrorist’s wish list I would be very surprised if Disney didn’t have organic or contracted assets to deal with bomb threats, active shooters or any other imaginable emergency available on site. I do know they have their own fire department.

With regard to personal firearms, I talked with a security guard at Magic Kingdom for a bit. He was in his mid-20’s, and stated he was an MP and member of the Florida Army National Guard when asked about his experience and Disney’s hiring standards/ procedures. He stated that the licensed carrying of firearms inside the gates to any venues was not illegal, but getting caught would get you expelled from the property (without refund). The Disney hotels and resorts on Disney property require that firearms be checked with the front desk and stored in the hotel’s main safe NOT in the rooms or room safes. Day visitors could leave their firearms in their vehicles or notify a security guard who would assist them in checking the firearm into the security station at the main gate where it would be kept in an individual locker to which the visitor kept the key. He also stated that in the two years he had worked there he had never personally seen anyone avail themselves of the service, though some people apparently do. He stated that ONLY LEO personnel with jurisdiction on the property and currently on official business were allowed to carry firearms on Disney property. I did see several county sheriff vehicles on roads on the property. I suspect they pay the county for extra patrols much like many POA/HOAs do. Despite the apparent “weaponless” policy I would be very surprised, as noted above, if Disney does not have some sort of armed response available on-site.

The only security checks were at the entrances to the main venues: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc. The resorts and hotels and the transportation between them and the venues had no security at all. Examining this it would seem that there is a hole in their firearms policy. You can be ON the property, but not in a gated venue, and armed as long as you don't leave your weapon in your room or attempt to enter one of the venues. Also as stated above the gate security and bag check is vanishingly unlikely to discover a handgun on your person unless you’re a complete idiot or extremely unlucky. There IS the issue of keeping the weapon secure on the various rides.

In summary I think Disney does as well as can be expected given their challenges. While it would be fairly easy to get a weapon into the venues I think it would have minimal value and probably be more hassle to keep concealed than it was worth. If I WAS going to try it SmartCarry is probably the way to go.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I remember going to Disney World a few years ago. You do have it right, they seem like their own little country. They even have their own town on their property. Security was rather light when I went. I saw a random light pat down and a few bag checks. But no metal detectors or anything of the sort. It might be different now, but your description matches what I remember. It would not be hard at all to get in with a CCW. if placed in the right places on your person you could get right thru.

I hope things have changed since 9/11 because I was at Epcot when it all happened and it was true PANIC and Chaos, getting out of that place and back to our resort was almost more scary than the attack itself!! I am sure they have changed a lot of procedures since then!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it. I was always amazed how Disney seemed to truly be in their own world.

NCHornet; that would be very scary being there during the 9/11 attacks. I would love to here a detailed account of the goings on someday when you have the time to type it out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I remember going to Disney World a few years ago. You do have it right, they seem like their own little country. They even have their own town on their property. Security was rather light when I went. I saw a random light pat down and a few bag checks. But no metal detectors or anything of the sort. It might be different now, but your description matches what I remember. It would not be hard at all to get in with a CCW. if placed in the right places on your person you could get right thru.
    You are very close on that, maybe someone more in the know can elaborate, but they are separate from the surrouding counties and state control. It was part of the deal that they struck when building it and they have their own police force and government. As far as police they do not fall under the local authority. The government there could be loosely compared to the government of the Vatican. Their own little world.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    FN 1910 you're right.
    Disney is an incorporated town with it's very own government and all that implies. Police, fire, courts.
    If memory serves correctly the Mayor is the head maintence guy at Disney. He's one of the few people that actually resides in the town.
    Power to the Rodent.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    You are very close on that, maybe someone more in the know can elaborate, but they are separate from the surrouding counties and state control. It was part of the deal that they struck when building it and they have their own police force and government. As far as police they do not fall under the local authority. The government there could be loosely compared to the government of the Vatican. Their own little world.
    So you're saying Disneyland or Disneyworld could be compared to Vatican City with rides?

Strangely appropriate.

Tank, thanks for the write-up!

B.

Administrator
    Dang, that would be awesome to be the mayor of Disney world. I think I'm going to apply for a job there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The town is Reedy Creek, IIRC. They have a poulation of about 3, but it's a town.

I've carried there a number of times. No worries, really, just make sure you have a secure carrying system for some of the rides!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The town is Reedy Creek, IIRC. They have a poulation of about 3, but it's a town.

I've carried there a number of times. No worries, really, just make sure you have a secure carrying system for some of the rides!

I dont know why, but I'm finding this most interesting...

Here is a quick rundown of Reedy Creek;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_C...ement_District
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO...I'm still fixed on the idea of being the RULER there. Just picturing myself sitting on my throne and eating a turkey leg while the court jester entertains me. Boy, that would be the life!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    So you're saying Disneyland or Disneyworld could be compared to Vatican City with rides?

Strangely appropriate.

Tank, thanks for the write-up!

B.
    So I guess they have a seat in the U.N.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    When going to a place like Disney, you are not going to enjoy yourself trying to conceal a weapon. You will be worried on almost every ride if your going to lose it or if it's going to get wet on a water ride. If you are going to Disney, leave it in the car and go enjoy yourself.

I'd be shocked if Disney didn't have one or more full response team on site ready to handle anything up to an assault by a regiment of parachute infantry.

They have too much money on premises and too many guests to take security less than absolutely seriously.

Polite, certainly...but absolutely seriously.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    SIXTO...I'm still fixed on the idea of being the RULER there. Just picturing myself sitting on my throne and eating a turkey leg while the court jester entertains me. Boy, that would be the life!
    We should plan a invasion and take over Disney World.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links