The nightstand piece - Page 2

The nightstand piece

This is a discussion on The nightstand piece within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you have things set up for your situation, and that is good. I too am a "right-handed" married fella. I keep my carry ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think you have things set up for your situation, and that is good. I too am a "right-handed" married fella. I keep my carry gun (mostly) a 92FS behind a drop down door in the head board. I have a 16 ga. shotty under the bed's overhang on the floor, and an AK hidden in a small sofa. All of this in the master bedroom.
    But we depend on multiple layers of alarm, namely 1 outside dog with good vocal cords and an inquisitive nature. Follow that with 3 large dogs inside the house, 2 yellow labs and an Irish wolfhound.

I'm a bachelor again, so currently I sleep alone.....most of the time. ;)
    I don't have a bed frame, merely a king box spring and mattress sitting on the floor. I sleep on the same side of the bed I did when I was married, which is the DOOR SIDE. I don't care if it's right or left depending on the orientation of the bed, my rule is I sleep between whoever is in the bed with me and that door.

My "nightstand gun" also no longer resides exposed on the nightstand, rather my Bulgarian Makarov is slipped between the mattress and box spring, with the grip almost completely exposed. However it is close to the head of the bed, so it cannot be seen from the door, because from that angle it is behind my nightstand.

Currently the door side is the left side of the bed, taken from the perspective of lying on your back. I am right-handed, and if lying on my back the Mak is on my left. However I am an "active sleeper" so there is no telling whether at any given moment during the night I'll be on my back, side, or stomach, so the gun could just as easily be under my right hand when I awaken. Not much to be done about that.
    I've drawn it from there several times when hearing "bumps in the night", and found that the position is rather good, whether I awaken on my back or my stomach, I can reach down and grab the gun as a natural part of the motion of rolling out of the bed.

I also do feel much more secure with my two greyhounds to give me additional warning. I've also recently placed those First Alert alarms on my front and patio doors. I got four of them for about $12, they each consists of two parts, one that you stick to the doorjamb with adhesive tape, this contains the alarm itself, and the second part that is stuck to the door immediately opposite so that when the door is closed the two pieces are right next to each other. A simple pair of magnets is used to detect when the two pieces move apart, and the doorjamb part emits a piercing wail, or a softer "doorbell" tone, depending on whether you set the control switch to "Alarm" or "Notify". This design works equally well with hinged or sliding doors.

Not a bad setup for the price, IMHO.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

I'm right handed, and I sleep on the right side of the bed.

I cut down an old leather belt, and attached it onto the side of my nightstand with screws, just below the level of the top of the mattress.

I clip a cheap generic IWB holster on the belt, as well as a flashlight in a belt holder, and a folding knife, and a spare mag. I keep the mattress about 6 inches from the night stand

With the night sights staring up at me, I can always see where the gun is, and I can draw it from my usual sleeping position, which is on my right side with my arm under my pillow, hand dangling over the side of the bed, over the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by logistar
    FLM, I don't think anyone COULD get that close that fast really.
    Did anyone see this article: "Couple survive 'scary' late-night attack." I posted it here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=3804

Allen W. Kirsch was asleep in his rural home at 1:30 a.m. Thursday when a masked man turned on the light, stuck a gun in his face and began cursing...

..."After we were awake, the guy asked us, 'Didn't you hear your (expletive) dog bark,' " Konwinski said. "They were very unpolite and nasty."

She said they had heard the neighbor's dog bark, but paid little attention. It wasn't until later, when they found the dog taped up, that she realized what the robber meant.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Interesting how that works, isn't it! I experienced the same thing. Well, I was wide awake though.

I've just started carrying my H&K USP 9mm. I really like it which means I'm now torn between which gun to carry than ever.

Which HK you got - if I may ask?

USP .40 cal. , If I have enough time I can always pick between my AR or 12 ga. Too , but prefer handguns for indooor distance encounters.

FLM
    P95, I hadn't thought about teenagers in the house. That does complicate the situation.

As I've mentioned, I keep mine in my Safepacker holster, top flap tucked between the mattress and boxspring, so the open holster is where my hand drops down beside the bed. The pistol isn't on the bedstand or floor. It is out of sight, fully accessible, and can be drawn silently.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a young daughter; so, everything has to be kept out of her reach. My "nightstand" guns have moved to the top dresser drawer. Two model 13 S&Ws. :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I have grand-kids, so I use a GunVault that stands upright on the floor, braced against my bedframe. I touch-open it at night, so my BHP with 17-round mag & Crimson Trace lasergrips is waiting for my hand to drop down on it. Surefire flashlight is on the nightstand just above.

Cool Btdt

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I second Mike's comment. I know you've said you aren't a dog person before due to prior experiences, but that's the big advantage to having a dog in the house (or yard). No matter how sound you sleep you'll know immediately as soon as someone is approaching your house let alone in it. I know - not really the point of your post but I thought worth mentioning.

A big problem that I have, and this torments me to no end, is I CANNOT shoot towards the door of my bedroom. That is the exact direction as my daughter's room. In the case you describe, I'm screwed unless I can position myself at a different angle. Therefore my ONLY option is to detect the intruder and position myself defensively before he enters the doorway to the bedroom.
    In December of 1996, I was sound asleep on a cool night. We'd left ONLY our bedroom windows opened for the cool. I had the alarm on (screens) and the Glock near to hand. At that time our bed was situated so that my sleep position was closest to the window. About 0200 the alarm goes off. LOUD. I sit bolt upright and come nearly face to face with the punk struggling to crawl thru my window! Now you've gotta know that I have a rather SEVERE case of Sleep Apnea and I sleep wearing a mask attached to a Constant Positive Air Pressure machine, long hose and I look like TOP GUN when I wear this. It generates "white noise" so I don't hear much of anything. But I heard that burglar alarm.

So I see this guy. His face is 18 inches from mine (maybe) and from where I sat, he was head and shoulders inside the window but his HANDS were on the SILL outside! He gave me a funny sort of a look in the gloom, lit only by the digital clock kinda like Hey! Gimme a hand here? I THINK he expected me to cower and shriek like the sheeple of south Florida. I instantly thought of the Glock, but realized it was in condition 3 Empty chamber, uncocked and I wasn't sure if I had the time or if he was alone.

So I stood up as my sleepy wife was struggling to understand the situation. I yelled something like GET OUTTA HERE! and (I swear) I did a forward puch, putting a good deal of hip torque into the shot, keeping my shoulders square. Sensei would have been proud! In fact, he was...later. The BG falls back out of the window and I've got the Glocked locked and cocked. I run LOW to my daughter's room (in case rounds start coming in). At that point she was about 14. I DRAG her so that she's on the floor back to our room and she's yelling what's wrong? And I get inside, and see my wife is just PEEKING out of the window. So I grab her and shove her to the floor beside the kid and shove HER 45 into her hand, and tell her to IDENTIFY her TARGET before opening fire! She's quietly sobbing but nods. Then the phone rings and it's the alarm company and wife says BURGLARY IN PROGRESS and that's all I heard...because I'm afraid I have OTHER visitors entering elsewhere in the home.

Clear the house with Glock and SureFire just like they trained me. Nobody else. Then I pass by the Foyer and see....the 145 pound Newfoundland dog on her back all four legs in the air, legs pumping furiously (some dream!) and SNORING ~zzzzzzzzzssssnnnnarrrrk!~ She didn't wake up until about three min later when ELEVEN units show up and one K9! Then it was:

MOM! MOM! THERE'S A BOY OUTSIDE! CAN I GO SNIFF HIS BUTT?

To be fair, once the newfie realized that "mommy" was in fact TERRIFIED, she was RIGHT by her side and wouldn't leave it.

The knuckles of my right hand were swelling and red. A big fat cop with a heavy southern drawl plops an ice pack on my hand and says: "BOah AHHH think you GOT all the JUSTICE you're gonna GIT!" It seems that after I crushed a nose (judging from the blood trail) the punk stumbled thru my neighbor's eight foot thick Bouganvillia Hedge. In case you don't know, this is a VERY pretty flowering plant that grows B-I-G and has HUGE THORNS about the diameter of a pencil and quite sharp. The cops found about five large blood pools and a distinct blood trail right up until they lost it at a major intersection where no doubt the getaway car was waiting. The cops put out a BOLO for a perp whose exposed flesh was "shredded" but nothing ever came of it...hence the comment about justice. The next day there was a gun show and I went out and bought a great brass paperweight: KNUCKS. Leave them on the window sill every night. No more bruised knuckles for this boy!

But I learned another lesson that night: Our windows are not visible from the street. They were the ONLY open windows in the house that night. That means that somebody is walking thru yards in my neighborhood in stealth mode. I put up some guard dog signs all around the next day. Still, in MY yard, there were piles of elephant sized poop (produced by 145 pounds of rescue dog) all over, so I hope he stomped right thru it all and then walked it all over his car, home and buddies homes.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

St Micheal, you and I think alike...
    I sleep left side of the bed, between the more vulnerable window. Three dogs makes some noise, and while a Mosin nagant M38 is not the greatest home defense weapon made, with 46gr plastic tip training ammo, (46 gr at 3000FPS!), should make a mess of things, plus enough flash to fry them nicely....
    The CZ is very easy to get to - the pillow is right over it, and it is completely invisible.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

DC Founder
    If a BG is standing at my bedroom door, he is standing on the outside of it. I have an exterior door lock on my bedroom door. Whenever my wife and I are not at home, that door is closed and locked and all guns secured, except my shotgun. When we are going to bed at night (my wife goes to bed early, I go late) the door is closed and locked. Our dog (a Golden Retriever) is in the room with us. To get in that door, a BG is going to have to make alot of noise and wake up all of us, unless they are a cat burglar that can pick locks. I keep the 1911 I always carry on our headboard (a bookcase type) which makes it sit at about eye level, with the tritiums glowing at me. If someone should attempt a breakin, the wife will be in the shower stall with the 12 gauge. I sleep at night without worrying too much.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    If a BG is standing at my bedroom door, he is standing on the outside of it. I have an exterior door lock on my bedroom door. Whenever my wife and I are not at home, that door is closed and locked and all guns secured, except my shotgun. When we are going to bed at night (my wife goes to bed early, I go late) the door is closed and locked. Our dog (a Golden Retriever) is in the room with us. To get in that door, a BG is going to have to make alot of noise and wake up all of us, unless they are a cat burglar that can pick locks. I keep the 1911 I always carry on our headboard (a bookcase type) which makes it sit at about eye level, with the tritiums glowing at me. If someone should attempt a breakin, the wife will be in the shower stall with the 12 gauge. I sleep at night without worrying too much.
    Bumper it sounds alot like my set up. The wife and I dont have any kids yet she goes to the Docs, tomorrow I may be a dad for the first time. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted. But yeah, I sleep with the bedroom door locked. I don't plan on clearing nothing. I will call the cops on the cell and dig in. If and when we get kids things will change.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Ex,

Sounds like you handled that well. Trust me, that story got re-told all through the LE community in that area for days after that and still comes up during "war story" sessions. "One time, I responded to (insert code or signal here) over on XYZ street. Some punk tried to crawl window and dude jumps up and punches the punk in the face. You should have seen all of the blood...." :)

BlueLion,

If you are a daddy now, a lot more than your sleeping setup is about to change. :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

bedside

I have a setup that keeps my piece readily accessible, while concealed until you are on top of it, that I pull out from under the bed at night. I figure that if a BG is that close, it's curtains for me, anyways. After I get up, I strap the 1911 back onto my body, and slide the box back under the bed. I have a straight-eight night sight set, so I can pretty much hip shoot if I need tyo in a hurry, and I wil not give away my disposition with a light.

My problem is that both the missus and I are in medicine, and we work long hours, and motion sensors may be tripped by someone going to work, and waking the exhausted spouse in the middle of their scant sleep time.
    A dog would be ideal, but we do not have the time for those.
    "You are what you do when it counts."
    "The secret to long life...is gunsights!"
    Bloodletting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links