The nightstand piece

This is a discussion on The nightstand piece within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the way you guys think... My piece goes under my pillow and my hand rests right next to it. All I need to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The nightstand piece

I like the way you guys think... My piece goes under my pillow and my hand rests right next to it. All I need to do is grab it and roll over. BTW - it's a PT111 DAO so I don't worry about accidental discharge.

2. Remove Ads

When I move to Texas, I'm planning on buying a Beretta 92G with a Surefire Nitrolon WeaponLight and a 20rd mag to keep by the bed.

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Lead Moderator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pjward
    I like the way you guys think... My piece goes under my pillow and my hand rests right next to it. All I need to do is grab it and roll over. BTW - it's a PT111 DAO so I don't worry about accidental discharge.
    PJ, that AD shoildn't hurt too bad , since its an airsoft.lol. J/K .

LOL nice rocky
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Now you've gotta know that I have a rather SEVERE case of Sleep Apnea and I sleep wearing a mask attached to a Constant Positive Air Pressure machine, long hose and I look like TOP GUN when I wear this. It generates "white noise" so I don't hear much of anything. But I heard that burglar alarm.
    I too use a CPAP and have been concerned because it does quiet tings down and you get used to the wite noise it produces. We do have a dog that will bark if anything happens. I keep a wheelie on the night table coverd with hat. May reconsider that location now.

Smile Ideal Bed Side Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    When I move to Texas, I'm planning on buying a Beretta 92G with a Surefire Nitrolon WeaponLight and a 20rd mag to keep by the bed.

My perfect dedicated house gun is a Sig Sauer P220ST with light rail and a SureFire X200 gunlight and CT Laser Grips. Don't know that it'll ever come to pass since I have other priorities for the immediate future.

Next purchase is my ParaOrd TAC-4 LDA in the SpecOps finish.

Right after that is the Ruger Alaskan 454

After that is the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 and EOtech Holosight.

So, on a teacher's salary, you can see how it might take awhile to get to the Sig. But I have had the TAC-4 budgeted for some time and I expect to make that purchase by this Thanksgiving.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    Justin,
    I bought a 92G Vertec from Langdon Tactical Technologies with his speed bump trigger and trigger job. If it weren't for that slide mounted decocker

The 92 is the only gun I know of designed to permit the user to load a round by hand directly into the chamber. Ya never know!

As you intend to, I bought two 20 round mags for it and my Beretta Storm.

I currently have an M3 and a X200 LED tactical light, and was really curious why you like the Surefire Nitrolon WeaponLight?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    J

I currently have an M3 and a X200 LED tactical light, and was really curious why you like the Surefire Nitrolon WeaponLight?
    I have always liked the Nitrolon lights. I have the Nitrolon G2, the G2Z and I had the Nitrolon P106 on my old Glock. They are just my preferance, light weight, no rust :)

Hi Guys!
    My solution is a bit "out of the box". Rather than a "gun" solution, mine is a "carpentry" solution. Please allow me to explain: If you wake up from sound sleep to see a BG standing over you, you are already SO SCREWED!!! He is fully alert and on his feet - you are anything but alert and on your back. His weapon is most likely in his hand and trained on you, yours is wherever you left it - putting you in the position of being a human bullseye.
    My solution: If you don't have anyone else to be responsible for (other than maybe a spouse beside you) install a solid core wood or steel clad door in your bedroom entry with a deadbolt lock. If you have kids, then frame up the entry to the hallway that leads to the bedrooms and do likewise. Then put the family dog outside the door (yet still in the house) as an early warning (sorry, but the pooch is expendible).
    The BG can ransack the house while you call 911. If he manages to get thru the security door (which will take time and make a boatload of noise) you will be there wide awake, behind cover/concealment with your favorite blastomatic to seal his fate. However, if he does not breach the door, all you've lost is some stuff - which your homeowner's insurance will happily reimburse you for.
    The avarage person that shoots a BG in self defense incurs something like $200,000 in legal fees just thru the criminal phase. The civil suit (that will surely follow) will cost you everything you own in many cases.
    It is far cheaper (and a damn bit safer) to sit behind the door with an 870 while you talk to the 911 dispatcher.

Added side note: If you mount a light to your weapon, then you are aiming a loaded firearm at whatever you light up. What happens if it turns out to be your wife or child? Use a surefire in the weak hand in a Harries technique, and you can light up a perp (or family member) without such a high degree of risk for an accidental shooting. Always remember that under the stress/adrenaline pump of a real crisis your motor skills go completly to crap. It is VERY easy to accidently discharge a firearm and kill someone by mistake. Weapon mounted light systems were originally designed for military/SWAT operations in which a team enters a room/building with the intent of killing everyone inside. It is not an appropriate tool for defense, IMHO.

Final note: Gun under a pillow? Bad idea. A couple of documented cases exist in which people have killed themselves, spouses, and kids in the next room by discharging the weapon under said pillow (perhaps while having a dream of being attacked?). Your home defensive firearm should ALWAYS be far enough away that you need to be fully awake to acess it.

OK, I've been windy enough. Back to the holster shop - I hope this helps. 'Later folks!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    Then put the family dog outside the door (yet still in the house) as an early warning (sorry, but the pooch is expendible). The BG can ransack the house while you call 911. If he manages to get thru the security door (which will take time and make a boatload of noise) you will be there wide awake, behind cover/concealment with your favorite blastomatic to seal his fate. However, if he does not breach the door, all you've lost is some stuff - which your homeowner's insurance will happily reimburse you for.
    The avarage person that shoots a BG in self defense incurs something like $200,000 in legal fees just thru the criminal phase. The civil suit (that will surely follow) will cost you everything you own in many cases.

Added side note: If you mount a light to your weapon, then you are aiming a loaded firearm at whatever you light up. What happens if it turns out to be your wife or child? Use a surefire in the weak hand in a Harries technique, and you can light up a perp (or family member) without such a high degree of risk for an accidental shooting. Always remember that under the stress/adrenaline pump of a real crisis your motor skills go completly to crap. It is not an appropriate tool for defense, IMHO.
    First off, in MY household the pooches ARE the kids. That's just the way it is. Two legged daughter is married and living in another city with her hubby and her SP101. BGs in my home are my responsibility. That's okay....BTDT. I disagree about the mounted gunlight, but that's just me. Things going bump in the night are either dogs or they're BG's these days. The pups will let us know which. My trigger finger lays along the frame so much I often have to remember to press when I'm using a POWER DRILL.

Thanks to Jeb Bush and the FL Legislature, we don't have to worry about either prosecution or lawsuit from perp's surviving family if the shoot is justifiable. I'm hoping this legislation takes off as a model for other parts of the country since we hope to move to another state in about six years.

BTW, along with that landmark legislation goes wording that intruders in your home while it is occupied is primae facia evidence they intend extreme and deadly harm. Nobody is going to ransack my home while I chat with 911! My chatting will be done by my friends Mr Benelli and Mr. Sig. Wife will have her buddy, Mr Colt.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yup, agree with Ex. Move to Colorado (or, apparently, Florida) where anybody entering your house illegally is essentialy making himself a target.

I do like the security door idea though, no point in getting into a gunfight you can avoid... police paperwork, gun into evidence hassle, stains on carpet & walls, etc.

As for the doggie, everyone should have one. My only concern is that my 100lb rottie/ ridgeback mix will eat the BG before I get there and make himself sick.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Yup, agree with Ex. Move to Colorado (or, apparently, Florida) where anybody entering your house illegally is essentialy making himself a target.
    Gota love castle doctrine states Is your vehical covered under the Colorado castle doctrine?

I plan on getting a light for the under rail of my Glock. At the moment I keep my surefire on the nightstand and a handgun in the drawer, which is left halfway open.
    I miss my dog. He is a 12year old German Sheppard, that was raised in upstate New York. I know he cannot deal with the Florida heat. Besides, my apartment complex wont even let have a stinkin cat.

Another problem is the fact that I have pest control, that spray my home once a month. Just last month, the pest control guy was in my apt. while I was asleep(He would have normally woke me up earlier, but I was comatose from nonstop work). He had no clue how close he came to getting shot. Later that day I had my apt manager give me a early warning before the bug guy is coming.

Like I said, I miss my dog. Hans could have dealt with Mr. StumbleOnIn Bug Dude .

Assistant Administrator
    wont even let me have a stinkin cat
    Greg - tell 'em you'll bath the cat first - and it'll smell better!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Heck I think I'm going to get myself a stray kitty.

They are smart enough to hide from strangers. If I kept the litter box out of sight, no one would know I have a contraband animal.

VIP Member
    Well said Ace Ventura. In my case there's no hiding the 4 mastifs. They love the postman (he has treats) but hate the UPS man (don't we all.) The hardened door to the safe room is what makes it the safe room (thanks Gary) and the light in the off hand (for those who crave the adrenaline rush of house clearing) will be shot at sooner than later. Wouldn't want to ruin my piece or the hand holding it by mounting the light on it. The kneeling lean out with the light held high works for me. But the kids are gone, so if BG gets past the dogs, spouse does the 911 while I wait for the revenge of the K9. The bedroom/safe room is the armory. The inventory is locked in a safe, all except UNO & BUG which ride in a tethered Mini Vault on the floor next to the bed. When I'm home or sleeping, UNO lays across the vault's rubberized finger groove top with the night sights visible.
    Last edited by gunthorp; September 20th, 2005 at 12:50 AM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links