Louisiana and Florida Permits

This is a discussion on Louisiana and Florida Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats the advantage, if any to getting a Louisiana permit if you have a non-resident Florida?...

Whats the advantage, if any to getting a Louisiana permit if you have a non-resident Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Whats the advantage, if any to getting a Louisiana permit if you have a non-resident Florida?
    1. Being counted, so the legislators know how many voters they would infuriate by repealing CCW.

2. Reciprocity changes. You could find yourself SOL.

VIP Member
    Also some states only recognize the permit if it was issued from the state you reside in. Thankfully not too many are like that.

How many folks from Louisiana actually have a Florida permit rather than the Louisiana.

When I went to get my Louisiana Permit the Instructor spent time explaining why we should get the Florida Permit instead. He further stated that he had 10-20 people in class a week and that he had only had 2 or 3 actually end up getting the Louisiana. All the others (including me) oped for the Florida.

I have the FL permit. I want the LA one. I think it is important to have the license from your state. I fear running across an officer that is ignorant of the law and doesn't know I can use a FL permit. I want to go to SC which, IIRC, requires you to live in the state of your license.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Also some states only recognize the permit if it was issued from the state you reside in. Thankfully not too many are like that.
    Exactly. For you (LA) Kansas, Michigan, and New Hampshire won't recognize your FL permit, since you're not a FL resident. LA also is recognized in South Carolina, WA, NV and maybe some other States where FL is not.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    1. Being counted, so the legislators know how many voters they would infuriate by repealing CCW.

2. Reciprocity changes. You could find yourself SOL.
    Amen to that!

I chose to get my Louisiana permit because that will then give me the leverage to lobby our lawmakers for better changes in our state gun laws. Didnt figure I could say as much if I didnt have the La permit and was a resident.

i chose to get a florida permit for privacy reasons.

What a shame that all of us legal carriers won't be recognized in every state that has CCW! Haven't we all completed the requirements?

If required to have a "piece of paper" in your State at least have one from your own State then opt for other States if you want more "pieces of paper".

Show support for carry (open and concealed) in your State first to let your elected govt employees where you stand.

Open or concealed carry of anything - handgun, knife, tomahawk, or etc including a rifle or shotgun, should not require any "piece of paper", at least I do not see this requirement in the 2A.

One either supports the 2A or does not support the 2A - there is no partial support.

I wouldn't be surprised that you are required to have a permit from your state of residence. Happy New Year to you and yours.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Not in Louisiana. There is no residency restrictions like other states have on outside permits and there is no mention that a resident can only use a Louisiana license.

This is all it says for reciprocity:

A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states.

Up until this year the LA permit wasn't good in Arkansas so many, many people in north louisiana got the FL permit that was good in Arkansas.

The ranges/schools here offer you the option of the FL permit over the LA permit.

The LA wildlife and fisheries hunter training class is enough for the FL permit, that thats the one I went with. As soon as I can I want to take a class for the LA permit. LA also requires a class at each renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    LA also requires a class at each renewal.

Thats one of the main reasons i picked the FL or LA, the FL is good for 5 years versus 2 or 4 with LA and having to retake course at each renewal.

Links