My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW - Page 2

My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW

This is a discussion on My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cloudpeak In San Francisco, everyone joins hands around the tiger and sings "Kum by ya". Cloudpeak The news stories claim the zoo ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    In San Francisco, everyone joins hands around the tiger and sings "Kum by ya".

Cloudpeak
    The news stories claim the zoo had a shooting team but were very disorganized and never got their act together to respond. When the police got there, they took over and 4 officers with .40 S&W pistols fired repeatedly until the tiger was down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I'd spend the money on lottery tickets instead. Your chances of going to the zoo and getting attacked by a tiger are probably a lot less then your chances of winning the lottery.
    + 1 Some people get a little carried away with being prepared. Carrying ammo for lions and tigers seems a bit overboard. Suppose it's a rhino or elephant? Do they carry Stinger missiles in case a 747 looks like it will crash into them. A meteor might hit them too, so I guess a couple of nukes on rockets would be in order.

If you live near a big dam, do you tow a boat behind your car 24/7? How about "the jaws of life" in case you are in a car wreck?

Obviously some people carry the Boy Scout Motto, "Be prepared" further than others.

They probably used AR15's or 12 gauge shotgun slugs to put down the Tiger, and lots of ammo. I sure wouldn't want to face one with a .40 or a .45 acp. 338 Winchester Mags aren't always a sure stop on them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'm not as worried of the animals wandering inside the zoo as I am about certain two-legged animals prowling outside the zoo.

Quick story, as a case in point. Our family was visiting San Francisco in 1974 and we wanted to take the kids to the zoo. The problem was, the city was in a near panic because of the almost daily "Zebra killings" that were then occuring in broad daylight on the SF streets. The police were warning everyone to stay off the streets. But, being young and foolish, and wanting to make the most of our visit, we decided to take the kids to the zoo anyhow. The streets were practically deserted. It was geninely eerie. On the way and just before the turn into the road to the zoo we stopped at a red light. Two young black men on a motorbike pulled up right next to us and looked in our open window. The first thing I noticed (besides the hair standing straight up on my neck) was their menacing demeanor (they were dressed completly in black and had sunglasses on as well). Prominant were shoulder patches of "death heads" on their leather jackets. Just then, the light turned green and I sped off, quickly. After our visit to the zoo (it was practically empty) we went home. The next day the police broke the case and arrested numerous gang members. These guys were likely part of the gang as the patch was their gang insignia. Maybe they were trolling for additional victims? If so, I think we barely escaped before they could decide if to shoot or not. They were randomly murdering whites to earn gang "points".

Anyway, those are the types of animals who sometimes hang around outside the zoo and I now worry about. But in those days, nobody thought much of concealed carry - certainly not me. Everything seemed a lot safer then.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Of course, on the instant of that Tiger escaping, the folks nearby surely wished they were armed. If not armed, there wasn't anything they could do about it, at the time. Crime is a lot like that. You never know when or where it's going to strike. Reminder her of that, and of how insurance works only if you have it ahead of time.
    I think being unarmed and chased by a tiger is much worse than being chased by an armed bad guy. You at least have a fighting chance of outrunning, outmaneuvering, or winning a fight with a BG. Not a chance of beating a tiger.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    + 1 Some people get a little carried away with being prepared. Carrying ammo for lions and tigers seems a bit overboard. Suppose it's a rhino or elephant? Do they carry Stinger missiles in case a 747 looks like it will crash into them. A meteor might hit them too, so I guess a couple of nukes on rockets would be in order.

If you live near a big dam, do you tow a boat behind your car 24/7? How about "the jaws of life" in case you are in a car wreck?

Obviously some people carry the Boy Scout Motto, "Be prepared" further than others.
    That is what I'm thinking too. If I feel a place isn't safe that I have to upsize in gun and ammo, then I wouldn't take my family there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links