My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW

This is a discussion on My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife still doesn't like guns herself. However, over the past several years my CCW has become less and less of an issue for her. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife is beginning to appreciate CCW

My wife still doesn't like guns herself. However, over the past several years my CCW has become less and less of an issue for her. In fact, with the tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo, she even offered to get me a shoulder holster for my 4 inch .44mag so I could carry that at the zoo in lieu of my 4 inch 1911.

She still thinks it's pointless to strap it on every time we leave the house, but she doesn't mind and she's beginning to actually appreciate having it under some circumstances.

ETA: I'm sticking with the .45acp. The .44mag would have too much penetration for anything but a large animal scenario. Besides I carry large animal ammo in my spare mag when we go there. It doesn't make it a .44mag, but Double Tap 230gr FMJ Flat Points are very hot and penetrate as well as anything I could hope fore out of a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    My wife still doesn't like guns herself. However, over the past several years my CCW has become less and less of an issue for her. In fact, with the tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo, she even offered to get me a shoulder holster for my 4 inch .44mag so I could carry that at the zoo in lieu of my 4 inch 1911.

She still thinks it's pointless to strap it on every time we leave the house, but she doesn't mind and she's beginning to actually appreciate having it under some circumstances.
    My wife came around to concealed carry after I gave her a demonstration of what would happen if she retreated to the bedroom to wait four minutes for 911 to respond. We had to replace the bedroom door and jam anyways. So I gave her a 2 second head start from the kitchen downstairs (to simulate the time for me to break into the sliding door), and chased her upstairs. I had the door kicked down and put her in a big bear hug before she could pick up the phone. We've had a shotgun upstairs and a handgun downstairs ever since, and I'm always pestered with the same question before we go anywhere... "Did you remember your gun?".
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Sometimes it just takes a little demo like that.
    I had a friend that was a screaming anti. He would tell me just wait for the cops.
    One night I was at his house for dinner. The discussion came up.
    Here was my answer. I told him to consider himself tied up and his wife had called 911. I took his 16 year old daughter in another room and as I left told him , I'll be busy until the cops arrive.
    His wife told him to shut up after that. She figured it out.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Both Matiki and AirForceShooter....

Those are good ways of convincing people. Isn't it sad that it sometimes it comes down to real-life or near real-life for people to get the message?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I'd spend the money on lottery tickets instead. Your chances of going to the zoo and getting attacked by a tiger are probably a lot less then your chances of winning the lottery.

In fact, with the tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo, she even offered to get me a shoulder holster ...

She still thinks it's pointless to strap it on every time we leave the house ...
    Of course, on the instant of that Tiger escaping, the folks nearby surely wished they were armed. If not armed, there wasn't anything they could do about it, at the time. Crime is a lot like that. You never know when or where it's going to strike. Reminder her of that, and of how insurance works only if you have it ahead of time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I'd spend the money on lottery tickets instead. Your chances of going to the zoo and getting attacked by a tiger are probably a lot less then your chances of winning the lottery.
    I can't argue with the odds, but I can argue with not being prepared. Not to beat a dead horse here, but its better to be prepared unnecessarily than unnecessarily unprepared.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I especially like the scenarios used to get the point across in a very real manner. Not sure if i would have thought of that.
    So Matiki, did you really kick down your door?!? lol
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    We were there when they had a "code red" and lost a hyena. A friend of ours was there when a giraffe got out. You probably heard about when the door was left open and a jaguar killed a handler. This was all at our zoo.

By the way, for all of Denver's liberal leanings, the Denver zoo has a "shooter" team. They keep weapons of varying calibers available for emergencies. At least they're prepared to do what needs to be done. I don't know if San Francisco had one. I doubt it since there was no news of it being deployed, and after all, it is the left most edge of the left coast.

The Phoenix Zoo had a few baboons escape a few years ago. It was hushed up since nobody got hurt and it is a city-owned facility. They can be some nasty fellows.

AZ Husker;
    I think that some of those escaped baboons wound up in Washington.

R
    Breath Control + Trigger control + Sight alignment = Gun control.

I totally agree on the baboons.

By the way, the "code red" procedure (from our experience) is to have a fat chick in a too-tight zoo uniform and a walkie-talkie herd people into a small (still outside) area.

I guess the plan is that she would protect us all from the hyena. She could use her walkie-talkie to beat an animal capable of biting through your thigh bone.

But like I said earlier, at least they have a "shooter team".

Fortunately, my family travels with it's own shooter team, and I don't have to run to a locker to retrieve my gun.

[QUOTE]
    My wife came around to concealed carry after I gave her a demonstration of what would happen if she retreated to the bedroom to wait four minutes for 911 to respond. We had to replace the bedroom door and jam anyways. So I gave her a 2 second head start from the kitchen downstairs (to simulate the time for me to break into the sliding door), and chased her upstairs. I had the door kicked down and put her in a big bear hug before she could pick up the phone. We've had a shotgun upstairs and a handgun downstairs ever since, and I'm always pestered with the same question before we go anywhere... "Did you remember your gun?"

I don't know if San Francisco had one. I doubt it since there was no news of it being deployed, and after all, it is the left most edge of the left coast.
    In San Francisco, everyone joins hands around the tiger and sings "Kum by ya".

Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Velocette View Post
    AZ Husker;
    I think that some of those escaped baboons wound up in Washington.

R
    Would that be DC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links