Michigan Registration?

Michigan Registration?

This is a discussion on Michigan Registration? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a nephew who recently moved to Michigan. He said he had to get some sort of permit to get his gun into the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Registration?

Michigan Registration?

I have a nephew who recently moved to Michigan. He said he had to get some sort of permit to get his gun into the state, and had to go to the local sheriff to get it registered. If he had not obtained the first permit he would have been arrested when he went to the sheriff.

That sounds strange to me. I wonder if he knew what he was doing or needed to do.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Regards and thanks.
    Jerry

check out MIgunowners.org

Where does he live?

I retract what i first said....

I was looking at the MIgunowners site and I am now unsure due to this post:
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...t=new+resident

I will keep looking to see what i can turn up.
    Last edited by 22RSSIX; December 31st, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: blah

Michigan Gun Registration

HI:
    In Michigan you have to apply for and get a purchasing Permit to buy a handgun. The purchase permit comes from the local police department where you live in Michigan. After you purchase the handgun you have to take the gun back to where you got the purchase permit and get the gun registered. They issue you a green card for each hand gun that you own. I do not think he would have been arrested. I'm sure there is a reasonable amount of time to get them registered.

Unless it's a restricted weapon according to A.T.F., you just come on in with handguns. Handguns don't need any type of advance permit to bring in. I don't know of any county in the State that doesn't allow you a reasonable amount of time once you move here to get them safety checked (registered). It's not as bad as it sounds. I know people that have had hand guns in the state for months and didn't even know about this, and they havn't been arrested or anything else. Michigan's gun laws are pretty decent and they constantly improve. We recognize any license to carry concealed as an example.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

yea for handguns you have to answer a few basic gun safety questions to get a permit to buy. then once you to do you have to go back for a "safety check" aka registration within like 10 days or something. its dumb, but not THAT big of a deal.
    people with their CPL dont need the buy permit, but still need to register the gun after purchase.

Lead Moderator
    10. I have just moved to Michigan from another state. How much time do I have to register my pistols?

MCL 28.422 & MCL 28.429 Upon establishing legal residency, you should immediately contact your local law enforcement agency, pass the basic safety questionnaire, and complete both a License to Purchase and Safety Inspection Certificate.

From here
    http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...IGAN_RESIDENTS
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

According to the state it is not a registration process, but a safety inspection (my a$$, its a registration). You might want to ask at the local sheriff dept, I think if you have already purchased, you may not need to go through this process. I know people that have hand me down firearms that are not SAFETY INSPECTED in there name... it might become an issue if the gun is stolen though.. Just call the sheriff and check it out..
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

In Michigan you have to apply for and get a purchasing Permit to buy a handgun. The purchase permit comes from the local police department where you live in Michigan. After you purchase the handgun you have to take the gun back to where you got the purchase permit and get the gun registered. They issue you a green card for each hand gun that you own.
    Yes hes right although if u have a CCW permit than u dont have to obtain a purchase permit to buy a gun but u still have to bring it into your local P.D. to be "registered"
    As for obtaining a permit for guns u already own when moving here iam not sure, sounds stupid to me i dont think thats correct. I called my local P.D. but its late & she wasnt sure if there was anything special u had to do but didnt think so, just bring them in to be "registered"........good luck

Another reason NOT to live in That State Up North!

(all in good fun, Blue fans!)

GO BUCKEYES!!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    As for obtaining a permit for guns u already own when moving here iam not sure, sounds stupid to me i dont think thats correct. I called my local P.D. but its late & she wasnt sure if there was anything special u had to do but didnt think so, just bring them in to be "registered"........good luck
    No, it is correct. I moved to MI from WI almost 3 years ago. I order to possess a handgun in Michigan you need to have a purchase permit performed on you or have a concealed weapon permit from Michigan or your state of residence. If you do not have a concealed weapon permit for your state of residence it is a felony to bring a pistol into Michigan. There is an exception for persons moving to MI. If you live in WI, IL, HI, or any other state where it is hard as hell to get a carry permit, you cannot possess a pistol in MI unless you are LE carrying under LEOSA. Period.

Go to the sheriff's office. Tell them you just moved to MI and need to register your handguns.

You will take the idiot test for firearm safety. You will fill out the purchase permit form, then get it notorized. Most courthouses will have a public notary and are usually close to the SO. Bring the notorized form back to the SO and s/he will run a BG check on you.

The purchase permit is basically a receipt showing you passed the background check. [In WI, the dealers do the BG check but in MI the police do and you need a purchase permit to show the dealer that you are ok to purchase a handgun. That is all it is.]

Then you need to fill out a "safety inspection" form for each handgun you own. All done. It is NOT required you have the registration card in your possession while you are possessing the handgun.

I strongly suggest to get a CPL in MI. You don't have to get a purchase permit for handguns every time you buy one. You just show the dealer, he records it on the 4473, take it to the SO to register it and you are done. You have to wait six months before you apply for a CPL.

Safety Inspection

Please remember it is a "safety inspection" not a registration. That would be illegal.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Another reason NOT to live in That State Up North!

(all in good fun, Blue fans!)

GO BUCKEYES!!!
    For the few items of BS I have to put up with ("safety inspection" and only NFA weaponry allowed is MGs) it is better than WI where I came from. Here at least I can carry a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Please remember it is a "safety inspection" not a registration. That would be illegal.

Eric
    Where does it say that?

There is a bill stuck in comittee to do away with the safety inspection process and to force the MSP to wipe out registration database.

The safety inspection (registration) is a holdover from the not so long age time when you could not get a CPL most anywhere in Michigan. Things are progressing fairly smoothly as far as getting CPL and handgun ownership up to date.The newer self defense laws and good track record of handgun owners in general (CPL holders especially) has convinced doubters to back us.All in all Michigan is not too bad. Chuck.

The Safety Inspection has been around since 1927 when the KKK pressed Congress to pass the law requiring a permit to carry concealed, institute a county gun board to approving applications for said permit, and requiring a safety inspection process to be recorded. This was to target the Blacks and had racial motivation, as did most gun control laws in the Midwest.

Up until then, Michigan was a free state that allowed open or concealed carry without any permit or license, unlike most northern Midwest states who had completely banned concealed carry. The original license in Michigan was a true concealed weapon permit. It allowed carry of a pistol, club, knife, ax, or other weapons at the time. Only since 2001 when Michigan went shall issue did the host of pistol free zones and restriction to only carrying a handgun come into play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links