Storing loaded guns

This is a discussion on Storing loaded guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local radio show had a discussion on concealed carry after a local shooting in a Hooters restaraunt. As you could imagine a full range ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing loaded guns

Storing loaded guns

A local radio show had a discussion on concealed carry after a local shooting in a Hooters restaraunt. As you could imagine a full range of advice was issued. Most people who called were in favor of carrying in public even if they weren't the ones to do so.

At the end of the topic the host mentioned a check list of responsible steps. Among those was: "the Only gun to keep loaded is the one you carry. Dont have loaded guns around the house, and store ammunition and guns in seperate areas." He elaborated that if you have a robbery- then you're giving the BG a weapon thats ready to use.

I personally have the guns & ammo together in my safe, and the guns I rotate for carry are all loaded. (Les Bear & EMP both loaded, cocked & locked in the night stand.)

So... What are your thoughts and your personal practices? Do you think my habbit was careless? Thanks in advance.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

In the safe...who cares? Most of my guns are there, but I've got one loaded 1911 on the headboard, an 870 loaded with buckshot by the bed, and my CAR-15 in the living room. The bad guys have no idea where they are, and I'll bet I can reach one of the three before they spot them. If not, what does it matter?

I do exactly what you do. My long guns are unloaded and have a lock. My carry guns stay loaded (Condition 1) with one in the chamber in my small office safe. The safe is heavy enough and hard enough to break to stop any BG break-ins.

Did the shooter at Hooters have a CCW? Was he drunk?

I keep my P229 or GSR 1911 on the bed stand in a carry-loc holster with 2 extra mags. I can reach it before the BG does or I'm already dead. I always keep my firearms (Handguns) in holsters. It covers the trigger and stops the possibility of an AD in the night if the pone rings.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Did the shooter at Hooters have a CCW? Was he drunk?
    I was in Nashville with my family over the weekend. I heard about it at work, then on the radio today. A patron said that he wouldnt pay his bill. He walked out and at the door or just outside the manager stopped him. The guy pulled a handgun and shot the manager and one other customer who was in close proximity. One of the two men died (I didnt get detail of which or how the other man is doing.)

The guy left the scene and the police haven't got him yet.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My handguns are scattered through out the house loaded but not one in the
    chamber.Several are revolvers so they are good to go.

Most of my rifles and shot guns are not loaded but I've got loaded magazines next to several of them. I do have my Winchester 9422 magnum with a 3X Scope and flashlight ready for skunks and other problem country critters. The same for my Bushmaster Varminiter. Most of my handguns are loadedand ready to do their job if I'm ever forced to open my safe. (shouldn't happen as I'm setting here wearing a handgun and that is normal) As for storing ammo in my 2 full sized safes, it's in just a few magazines. Nothing else would fit. I've probably got at least a few thousand rounds of ammo. The majority is in .223, .308, 22LR, 17 HMR, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I would hate to have to grab my gun then find my ammo when there's a bump in the night. Heck sometimes I can't tell if it's the phone ringing, the pager going off or my alarm. Takes too long to get bearings, just as well have things loaded and ready.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

My kids are gone...why wouldn't you keep your weapons loaded?

Anything I am not carrying at the time is typically in my safe locked up... but loaded. If I have to get into the safe quick in an emergency, I wont to grab and be ready. Not fumbling around trying to get my ammo out, loaded, and ready to go. If you lock them in a safe, IMHO that piece should be loaded.

If you have enough firearms around that you're worried about having htem loaded and accesible, time to invest in a good safe!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

All my carry guns are loaded in the safe already in the holster i will carry them in.
    Long guns are not loaded and in a gun locker.I keep my carry gun for the next day
    in the bed headboard.

Every gun I own is loaded, every mag I own is loaded. I have at least 1 gun in every room concealed and loaded (no kids kicking around).
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

The AK, the AR, and all of the pistols are loaded with a magazine full. My primary HD or Carry has one in the chamber as well. Usually the primary is the only one out of the safe. If the AR is out of the safe, then the primary would become the BU.
    Jesus said: "Be ready--" and I firmly believe in that.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    In the safe...who cares? Most of my guns are there, but I've got one loaded 1911 on the headboard, an 870 loaded with buckshot by the bed, and my CAR-15 in the living room. The bad guys have no idea where they are, and I'll bet I can reach one of the three before they spot them. If not, what does it matter?
    But where are they when you arent home? Do you place them in the safe, or leave them there for a BG to find?

It would be terrible for a stolen gun to be used in a murder or assault later.

Or worse, you come home and the BG is waiting for you inside with your weapon in his/her hand.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Anything I am not carrying at the time is typically in my safe locked up... but loaded. If I have to get into the safe quick in an emergency, I wont to grab and be ready. Not fumbling around trying to get my ammo out, loaded, and ready to go. If you lock them in a safe, IMHO that piece should be loaded.

If you have enough firearms around that you're worried about having htem loaded and accesible, time to invest in a good safe!
    Same Here gdd :)
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

When I am home I keep my HD weapons loaded and ready to go (I don't have any kids to worry about). I put them in the safe when I leave the house. As far as ammo goes, I keep loaded mags in the safe, but the majority of my ammo is stored in my guest bedroom closet. A nice safe is probally one of the best investments I have ever made. Unless the BG comes with some C4 and a laser cutter, he isn't getting to my guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links