Defensive Carry banner

Armed Type I diabetic

5K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
I have had my carry permit for about a year now and have been an insulin dependent, type I diabetic since 1965. I have been wearing an insulin pump for about 4 years which really helps me with better control. The bad thing is that I am extremely hypoglycemic tolerant which means that I function well when my blood sugar is much, much, lower than normal.

Lately, my wife has been showing concern for me when my blood sugar is low and I'm armed (a round in the pipe). If I have an episode at home, in bed, before fetching the orange juice, she closes the box that my loaded gun is in. I guess she's afraid that I am going to grab the gun and shoot someone, maybe even myself.

I'm pretty convinnced that she is being overly paranoid because, during these episodes I am very aware of my surroundings and what is going on but, my motor skills are severely compromised (some of you know what I mean). I would never, knowing my blood sugar was low, reach for my gun. I've told her that but, she's pulled me out of some bad ones and it scares her.

The reason for this post is to find out what other insulin dependent diabetics are out there (I know you are) and what your experieneces have taught you.

My biggest fear would be to get pulled over by the law when I'm hypoglycemic and carrying. I wonder how the law would deal with that?

See less See more
#2 ·
My two near life long old friends are both type 1 diabetics. I have over the years seen both have ''hypo's'' many times - more in early years but even since too. I am looking back some 50 years or more.

Motor skills for sure diminish - and in that regard some people see this as like drunkeness. My take however would be that, while this occurring when driving is going to be potentially bad ... I cannot imagine either of these guys if carrying (not an issue as they are in UK) .... would be other than much less aware of surroundings (read perceived threat) as overall they seem to withdraw into a shell and become progressively more like in a sleep state .. no aggressive behavior or irrational actions as such.

From my observations I'd just see a hypoglycemic event as rendering the sufferer incapable of good co-ordination but still retaining a rational mindset - and this is where I draw the divide between that and alcohol induced inpairment.

Thus, I'd not expect a mishap while carrying to be at all likely - unless perhaps, outside chance that while gun cleaning for example, normal safety matters were overlooked.

#3 ·
I have had several Diabetic relatives , and work with a couple of Diabetics.

I'm no Dr. but I DO understand it is all about diet - timing- and medication.

You should discuss this with your Physician - as perhaps there are newer
Techniques or Technology you can use to regulate your condition. :smile:

#4 ·
Interesting that you bring this up roadrat...especially in light of a number of incidents were a person was shot for irrational behavior (a recent on-going thread for example).

I am far far from being an expert on hypo...but I gather that your behavior could be suspect, and if you were driving...more so by a LEO. It does propose some difficult scenarios...pulled over for appearing DUI...trying to explain while hypo...carrying a weapon...etc etc...

Apparently, some very difficult situations...apparently your wife has concerns...and I wonder why...locking up the weapons etc???

Rick

#5 ·
I've run on about a gazzilion hypoglycemic diabetic patients. Some are a little loopy, or uncoordinated. If they are alert at all they are often/usually agitated and really don't like being poked to get the sugar. Sometime they get downright combative and it'll take 4 of us to control them enough to get the IV. I don't care how nice or gentle a guy you are, you don't have any idea whats going on when the sugar really drops and I gather that for lack of higher brain function, whats left of it is thinking that anything is a threat so you fight. I certainly don't think you need to give up your arms, but do be extra careful with yourself. Keep something sugary on your person at all times. Don't think "Food can wait until I just finish..." Just eat man. When your sugar is low you are impaired, no different than booze or whatever.

#6 ·
I'd be careful discussing carrying a weapon with a doctor...he holds your fate in his hands. Many are quite liberal, and all it takes is a note from them that you're a danger to yourself or others, and your second amendment rights are gone!

#7 ·
There is also a wrist watch on the market that uses an electronic sensor mounted on the back to monitor the skin moisture of diabetics.

Going hypoglycemic usually causes wet skin signs and these watches will detect the moisture changes then sound an alarm to let the patient know his sugar is getting low before it becomes a problem.

#8 ·
hey roadrat i have type 1 diabetes for over 25 years now,,my sugar also fluctates up and down,,,hard being us,,but please just try and carry an orange with you or a container of milk,,maybe a snickers bar,,i always carry a snickers bar with me in my edc bag,,some times some cookies,,but i dont think you should be worried about the diabetes and the guns,,also please dont tell the doctor about yor carring of a gun,,,example : we diabetes suffer from neourophy if i spelled that right,,its a nerve disorder,,now docs are prescribing a medince called cymbalta to help alleviated the pain ,,be it in your foot or hands...but the cymbalta is originally a depression med,,see where im going with this ? just whatever you do try and check your blood sugar before going out carrying,,if its too low ,,eat something,,or take something along with you,,crackers,orange,snickers bar,,anything,,

#9 ·
I posted to this yesterday but don't see it so here we go again. I too am a type 1 Diabetic. I am a brittle diabetic and usually take between 4-5 shots per day. This has not kept me from CC. In the begining of the disease you are very aware when your sugar drops, but you loose this as time goes on, but I am sure you know this. Make sure you educate those around you the most, tell them what to look for in your behavior and actions and most important what to do. Also where identification that clearly states your condition. I wear a necklace with the medical alert symbol on it and on the reverse side it states I am a type 1 diabetic. If you are on the pump most of them have a audible alert that will sound if your sugar drops to low, at least my buddies has this feature. However the most important thing you can do is be responsible for your condition, sometimes this may mean eating when your not hungry, just to keep your glucose levels up where they should be. I will usually eat a piece of bread with PB on it, PB is a great glucose stabilizer. You should also "check your blood sugar and check it often" I sound like that dude on TV but it is true. The Nuralgia ( type of Nurophthy) is extremely painful. I have had it in the tissue on my skull, took 5 docs and 3 trips to the ER to properly diagnose it. I take Nurotin (spelling?) for it and it seems to help.
Take Care
NCH

#10 ·
My Uncle is a type 1 diabetic since I can remember back to the early 60's. He was in law enforcement his whole life been Chief in 3 different departments and has never let his diabeties get him down. I do know like other type 1's that he did carry a candy bar with him in his patrol car just in case his sugar level dropped. He is now retired and doing well at 79. I can only hope to do as well.

#11 ·
I am type 2 myself , but they are starting to talk about insulin regulation. I have a couple of friends who are type1 that do have ccws.
With the " qualifications " out of the way ill get on my soapbox for a bit .

Your Wife is RIGHT .

When you have an episode , tho you feel clear headed and in control remembering everything you are not . Emotionally you are the equivalent of Rosie Odonnal with pms . When you couple that with depressed thinking speed ( that " muzzy " trouble concentrating feeling ) you are not making normal , rational choices .
The only answer i have is to better balance your sugar levels . Its hard as hell to do but listen to your body and recognize the early signs . Many will be emotional or mental. If your feeling " irritated " check the sugar , if you cant concentrate then check the sugar . In fact if you feel anything less than 100% in any way ... check the sugar .

I am not saying dont carry , I am not saying your unsafe . I am saying that you have a disease that is both chronic and insidious. It takes the same attention as a newborn and either you will run it or it will run you . We as ccw holders have a greater responsibility than non packers in the sense that we must avoid minor confrontations ect.. We as Armed Diabetics have an additional burden, We must treat our blood sugar as we would a loaded firearm . At the least if you have problems you can become incapacitated and if you cannot take care of yourself how the heck are you going to secure a loaded firearm ?

Ok off the soap box. I hope that in my own blunt and inarticulate manner i provoked thought .

Best to all

Bob .

#12 ·
During periods of inability to control blood sugar levels, inability to safely handle a weapon could be rightly equated to "being under the influence." That inability would be presumed and, based on the "reasonable man" standard and the facts of the condition, it would be hard to refute if a situation arose where insuffucient control over the firearm resulted in injury or death to an innocent. That would be hard to explain away.

Something else to think about: you've now got your acknowledgement of this problem and the risks in writing, in public, here in this thread. That's a minor tangle to consider.

You've got a problem.

#17 ·
hey ccw i dont think roadrat has any problems,,i know plenty of type1 diabetics who carry and are police officers,,,in NYC no less..

#13 ·
I am not diabetic, but I am a whopping 100-pound hypoglycemic. If I don't eat every 3 hours or so, or eat the right foods, I am not a pleasant person to be around.

If I don't eat, I get the dizziness, mind fogginess, clamminess, über-crankiness, depression, inability to pronounce words or put together sentences properly, extreme nightmares when I sleep, etc., and I will pass out (which I haven't done in years, thank goodness).

I'll pass on driving or wait until after I eat to drive. If I'm a passenger, I eat one of my snacks and close my eyes and try to save energy until we get some food.

So I make sure I always carry with me an assortment of jerky, nuts, and power bars to eat in between meals, and try to avoid the food I'm supposed to (high carb, chocolate :mad: , etc.).

You just have to be vigilant. You have to prevent it in the first place, learn how to recognize the signs of it coming on, and NEVER get comfortable thinking "I'm fine now" and go off schedule.

I'm good at recognizing what's hypoglycemia and what's "actually" making me upset, but it's best to prevent it all in the first place.

#14 ·
roadrat, I'm Type I by 35 years, and pump-using for about 6. You'll have to define "hypoglycemic" a bit more distinctly- if you normally run 160-180, then 80 can be problematic. If you normally run 80-100, then 40-50 is more likely where you're starting to "feel something."

Combativeness is a personal thing, and not guaranteed with hypoglycemia. Some experience "the shakes" and double vision, some are "happy drunks," some are combative.

Honestly, this is not like being drunk- if you are aware and alert at 50 or so, its time for a snack, but you aren't "impeded."(Providing your glucose normally runs in that 80-100 range.

Something else to consider- carry glucose tablets as part of your kit. If you ever needed to draw, whether it went farther or not, the adrenaline would give you a drop in BS.:wink:

Shoot me a PM if you want, I'm in the area...

#15 ·
RoadRat, I was diagnosed as Type 1 around 1960, so have been dealing with the condition for not quite fifty years. Always carry a couple of granola bars (sweetened with honey) with me in the car, and am not shy about using them if I feel the least bit "shocky". Should my meter show a high sugar rebound later due to overindulgence, I can always do a set or two of 100 Hindu squats to bring it down quickly. Bottom line: while packing, I'd rather be running a little high than too low.

SnakAtack, that watch-like glucose monitor (GlucoWatch Biographer) appears to have been taken off the market (GlucoWatch). Guess they're working on a better version for future release. I like to use a Freestyle or similar monitor that doesn't require finger-sticks for the sample. My fingers hurt too much after numerous punctures.

Any of you Type 1's suffering with the beginnings of peripheral neuropathy? What works for me is supplementing with a combination of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (brand name Tonalin) and Boswellia (an anti-inflammatory herb). You need to get between 4.5/6.0 grams of CLA (on an empty stomach) and 800/1000 mg of Boswellia (with meals) per day in divided doses. I've been using this combo for about eight years with good success - so side effects.

NCHornet, I used peanut butter for years to moderate blood sugar swings - then I had a heart attack (minor, thank goodness). Many of the major brand peanut butters contain hydrogenated oils (trans-fats) and are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup - both of which have significant negative potential from a health aspect. Much preferable is to switch to natural cashew or almond butter, carried in some supermarkets and almost all health food stores.

Good luck, all!

#16 ·
See roadrat52 You are by no means alone . If your having continual issues it means one of two things 1. you are cheating and not doing your job taking care of your illness . or 2. your Dr. is that in name only and he is not giving you care like you are paying for . In either event it is up to you to get a handle on it .

Be well
Be safe
Bob .

#19 ·
Spoken by somebody who is not a type 1 diabetic. There is a HUGE difference between type 1 diabetic and those millions of type 2 diabetics our country has now due to lack of exercise and poor eating habits. I have had my sugar level drop from 140 to 55 in about 30 min. many, many different times. This was not following a injection either, and I had a meal about an hour prior. What did I do wrong here? What did my doctor do wrong?
I am what my doctor calls a brittle diabetic, my sugar level will do some crazy things, and after you have this disease for a number of years your body becomes less sensitive to the signs of low blood sugar. This is why educatiing those around you is so important. I try and check my blood sugar at least 4-6 times a day and follow up with injections or meals as needed and I still have episodes like above. I don't feel it is fair to critize the OP when you haven't truly walked a mile in his shoes. Maybe I read your response wrong but it sounded very harsh to me. I think this thread has given some great info for diabetics and for folks that know and spend time around diabetics and I thank the OP for posting it. Squawker also provided some great info above.
Take Care
NCH

#18 ·
Hypoglycemia can certainly impair both coordination, but can cause an alteration in level of consciousness. Anyone who is at risk for these events has a great deal of responsibility while carrying, or with fast access to a gun. You should ask your doctor for a glucagon kit. Glucagon is one of the counter regulatory hormones that raises blood glucose levels in response to hypoglycemia. The kit contains a preloaded syringe that is jabbed into the anterorlateral thigh (the area from the middle of the front of the thigh to the middle of the side of the thigh, an area where there is a lower risk of hitting a nerve or major blood vessel) and the plunger pressed to deliver a premeasured dose of glucogon. This is to allow a wife or other close companion to raise the blood level rapidly in the event of a hypoglycemic emergency. This is the only safe way for a person to safely give someone a safe means of raising the blood sugar when someone is having a hypoglycemic reaction. This could save your life! You don't give sugar by mouth to someone who cannot control his gag reflex (such as unconscious, or other altered mental states) as it can be aspirated into the lungs, causing a pneumonia, or blocking the air way, leading to asphyxia and death. For yourself, while a candy bar or another type of candy would be helpful, there is a product called "Instant Glucose", along with other product names. It can raise the blood sugar quickly, by squirting it around the between the teeth and the cheek, where it can be absorbed into the blood stream directly. This can also be used as a last resort in an unconscious person, when a glucagon kit isn"tisn' available, and medical help is not available within a reasonable amount of time. While it can be absorbed through the oral mucosa, it can be aspirated into the lungs, so it has to be used with are (difficult when the person is having a hypoglycemic seizure), but the risk is acceptable when the risk of death from hypoglycemia is high. And in emergencies, high blood sugar is not a concern, as the problems for the most part of hypoglycemia is with long term high blood sugar.

#20 ·
Man....I wasn't prepared for this much activity on this subject. Like I said, being Type I since 1965 means that I am VERY familiar with the ups & downs of blood sugar control. My A1Cs are generally 5.2 - 5.4 which is good but does not mean that the line is flat........far from it. Yes, I do sometimes get combative and agitated if it happens in public but, I just don't think that I would ever reach for my firearm.

I ride a motorcycle everywhere, every day as well and have checked my sugar after a long ride only to find out that I was riding at a BG of 29. :blink: I've only wrecked a bike once as a result of hypoglycemia and yes, my wife was on the back. She wasn't too happy about leaving the road at 60 :22a: Now she makes me check before she will get on and at least once/hour while we're out. We need to stretch anyway.

To all of the Type 1 diabetics out there that know the struggle, rest assurred knowing that after you're dead and gone, most folks will say "HE WAS A DIABETIC AND DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF HIMSELF PROPERLY" regardless of how hard you struggle to get it right. I check my BG 7 times/day but, still have episodes. They will never understand. My lowest BG reading was 18, taken by a paramedic after he had given me enough intraveneous glucose to wake me up. :blink: That was a scary one.

I am concerned that a cop will think me to be under the influence and armed, which could be bad for me but, I don't think I'm at risk of pulling my weapon and shooting someone. I'm just not too sure that my wife is convinced of this.

#21 ·
I ride a motorcycle everywhere, every day as well and have checked my sugar after a long ride only to find out that I was riding at a BG of 29. :blink: I've only wrecked a bike once as a result of hypoglycemia and yes, my wife was on the back. She wasn't too happy about leaving the road at 60 :22a: Now she makes me check before she will get on and at least once/hour while we're out. We need to stretch anyway.
I too ride a bike just about every chance I get...albeit, prefer it be above 40 deg. Perhaps we'll get a chance to meet up one day if we haven't already...preferably when your sugar is up...

Best
Rick

#25 ·
Rat- your HgA1C's are running 5.2-5.4? Congratulations, those numbers are incredible, when you realize that under 6.0 is considered nondiabetic. Yes, without your continued efforts and dedication, that would change. But those are awesome numbers!

#26 ·
I agree 100% if those are truly your AIC you have reached a level of control that I have never achieved, I think 6.2 was my best and usually around 6.5. I have never heard of BS of 29 and still being awake, you really should try to eat stabilizing foods frequently and this should help the drop outs. Wearing proper identification was one of the first things my doctor told me to ger, right after a meter!! He told me to never remove it as it could save my life one day.
Take Care
NCH

#27 ·
Blood Sugar of 29!!!!!! I know how I do at 58 and I can't imagine what I would be like at 29. Like many I am Type II and have much more problems with going low than high but I have learned to tell and can usually tell just about what my levels are. When I start going low it drops rapidly and I go from perfectly normal to needing something in about 10 minutes. So far it doesn't affect my thinking very much but it does my body so I would hate to have to try to respond to a situation where I needed to think and act clearly while going low. When I get below 60 I usually am so nervous that to hit the BG would be a matter of luck rather than skill.

#28 ·
There is a lot to diabetics that I don't understand having not been there, so I can only make suggestions.
It seems the most important part of this eauation has been left out; that being your wife.
If she has concern you have every obligation to listen to them and work things out. She is the one who has to "bring you back" when there are problems and knows beter than anyone what you are like.
If you know the wife of anyone else that carries, a good conversation with the 3 of you might be in order.
You might consider reviewing wha she sees when you "go over" and sharing those conditions with this forum as there seem to be a number of people who understand what you are going through.
Additionally, let me congraulate you on being sensible and concerned for your wife and asking these questionsl. You obviously care about you wife and family enough to hear what is being said and attempting to follow through. Kudos to you for being so responsible.
Best wishes to you.

#29 ·
It seems the most important part of this eauation has been left out; that being your wife.
If she has concern you have every obligation to listen to them and work things out. She is the one who has to "bring you back" when there are problems and knows beter than anyone what you are like.
Nothing has been left out. I stated above that it is very important to educate those that you spend time with. This goes for spouses, work folk, friends etc... They should all understand what to look for and what to do for you when this happens. This is very important as well as proper identification for the medics and authorities if nobody happens to be around. If you are a diabetic and don't carry identification in the form of a medical alert bracelet or necklace you are not being responsible with your affliction.
NCH

#31 ·
Nice ride - nice pic. Hard to tell tho that anything on your belt is what you mention.

These days folks have so much ''clutter'' - it's hard to know what anything is anymore :wink: Good for us who carry tho :smilez:

#32 ·
My doc keeps wanting me to go on the pump and I have resisted up till now. I lived almost a year on a feeding tube, so I like being tube free now. I will say this, the pumps have gotten much smaller than when they first came out. My buddy has the pump and it took him a long time to get it dialed in with lots of bottoms while in the process. The future is a pump device under the skin that will not only dispense insulin but it will actually regulate BS. It will only dispense when sugars get above a certain level, no mashing any buttons, can't even see it. It is amazing the things they are working on. This new inhaler device that's out now, I was actually in a trial study with an early unit 10 years ago. It didn't work for me as each spray was not anywhere near close to consistent on how it affected sugar levels, so they must have gotten the delivery dose worked out now, still not something for me. It's larger than my meter pouch!!
Take Care

#33 ·
My daughter has the pump and I cannot come up with a single reason not to get one except for the initial cost. It makes for a total lifestyle improvement and allows you to regulate your isulin intake so much better that you don't even have to worry about your diet any more, although you still should. She was fist diagnosed at age 14, is now 29, just finished her MBA and is working as an international purchasing agent for a steel company. Unless she tells you very few people would even know she is diabetic. GET THE PUMP. My next door neighbor about the same age also has the pump and is now a practicing physician. I keep wondering when he is going to quit practicing and actually do something.

#34 ·
Wow... as a former LEO, I have seen some really disoriented and downright abusive diabetics driving and crashing vehicles.I never gave it much thought to having someone having a diabetic episode carrying. Sorry to say it, but I think the CCW would have to go after the first episode.Same difference as a drunk carrying only not an intentional act by the diabetic.

#35 ·
I understand why you make your argument, but by that same logic we'd have to revoke Drivers licenses too, I just don't see it happening or think it's entirely necessary. I've seen more than a couple severe and even fatal diabetic-induced car crashed, but luckily, I can't recall a diabetic using a weapon. They seem to mostly go with thrashing about, luckily in a not very coordinated fashion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.