Would you shoot at this range?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot at this range? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting to go to the Elm Fork shooting range in Dallas Texas, but in reading their rules it says "No concealed hand-guns allowed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot at this range?

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Angry Would you shoot at this range?

I've been wanting to go to the Elm Fork shooting range in Dallas Texas, but in reading their rules it says "No concealed hand-guns allowed on the range."
    Normally this wouldn't bother me too much, but some how it irks me to no end to have it in writting in a place thats supposed to be gun-friendly.
    Would you use this range, given that you couldn't CCW?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

2. Remove Ads

Every range I've been to has been like that. Only one says No guns but concealed permit holders and law enforcement are exempt.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Probably required by their insurance co.

Just lift up the shirt/jacket and OC there then :) I think that is kinda a silly rule and if I was a member at such a club I would make an attempt to speak to someone there and find out what the deal was behind that and perhaps work to get the rule changed. If everyone just accepted it as a rule and never bothered to question it, perhaps some people asking about it might get them to switch it.

VIP Member
    It is a function of not having loaded firearms anywhere other than the firing line at the range. It is probably out of their hands, insurance companied tend to mandate some pretty strict rules on someplace with that level of liability.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    There's an outdoor place north of Plano/McKinney (Tom Bean) that allows you to pretty much do anything you want to. It's basically some guys land with a berm & shooting bench on it. It's great. You can draw & shoot, rapid fire, etc... PM me if you want directions, etc....

CCW Restrictions

I would not go into anyplace that bans my right to carry.

In the Dallas area, Elm Fork is where a majority of IDPA competitions are held, and it would be pretty difficult to shoot IDPA without concealed weapons.

If they don't have a legal 30.06 posting, I don't see that rule has anything but another company policy which the lawyers were forced to put in. I didn't ask or bring it up with any Elm Fork employees, but whenever I went to sign in at the office, and everywhere on the range, I always kept my carry in my holster and loaded. Worse case scenario would be that you somehow became exposed and they would ask you to put it in the car.

My .02, feel free to carry concealed, but don't ask, don't tell. Go enjoy the range, but check out http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/ and shoot some IDPA where you can get a little better practice in.

On a side note, if I am looking for an indoor range, I go to BulletTrap in Plano because of its convenience. The first time I went I read the sign on their door that said, "all firearms in store must be unload and in case". I didn't have a case on me, so I ejected round for my EDC, unloaded magazine, and slide-locked it open. As I walked in the front door I had it held so it was obvious there was nothing near the trigger. the barrel was straight down, and anyone that looked at it, could probably see daylight through the weapon seeing it was empty.

The moment the guy behind the counter saw me, he reacted as if I had just moved the muzzle past his torso with my finger on the trigger. He came sprinting around the corner with a case for me, and explained to me how the store wasn't posted with a 30.06 and so I could have walked into the store with my firearm loaded in the holster just fine. I don't mind the guy's reaction, because that means they are strict on their safety, he just did it in a way that seemed a little dramatic.

Lesson learned : I don't see a legal 30.06 sign posting, I don't pay attention or follow any other signs posted.
    Last edited by nova83tx; January 1st, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Error
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    ...On a side note, if I am looking for an indoor range, ...
    I've shot at the BulletTrap, didn't like it too much, it was the middle of summer and they weren't running the AC and they charge $16 just to shoot. I was a puddle of sweat insight of 15 minutes and didn't really enjoy the rest. I usually shoot at the Bass Pro indoor range in Grapevine, it's $8 for 1 hour, usually long enough for me to shoot 100 to 200 practice rounds. You need to check your "open" carry at the door and it'll have a lock put on it until you to the range, when you leave the procedure is reversed.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Our gun club does not allow any loaded weapons beyond the check in point. You can carry your concealed weapon, but must remove the magazine and clear the gun. The only loaded weapons in the general area are with the Range Officers. To have a loaded weapon you must be in one of the shooting points. Makes sense to me - don't want to get shot by some idiot.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    Most ranges I have seen have a similar policy. As mentioned by others I think it is a insurance issue. When I go to the range I unload prior to entering and reload as I walk out the door. I can understand the reasoning behind it. Many new shooters coming in that haven't a clue, and the firing line is the only place they need a loaded weapon in hand.

In a word NO.

I have heard all the insurance excuses, and the safety excuses. I prefer to go to ranges that honor my rights, I also do not purchase from gun shops that restrict my rights.

I always see the staff carrying, and I've even asked them "is that loaded"? I always get a resounding "of course it is". Well, if you can't follow your own rules, that sends up a big red flag for me.

If it's unsafe for me to carry a loaded gun, why is it safe for you to carry a loaded gun? If it's because you don't know me, well I don't know you either. I've seen some pretty unsafe behavior behind gun counters as well. So in my opinion we all carry, or we all don't. Selective enforcement of the rules bothers me (a lot, can't you tell).

Businesses have the right to deny my rights, I have the right to shop elsewhere. I support those that support me and I use my dollars to do it.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

My GC isn't like that. CCW is just fine. They are so strict on everything, which I love, that if it was a problem they wouldn't let it happen.

I do at times. I believe what it is for is safety and insurance reasons.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

It's probably an insurance issue. Our gun clubhouse says no loaded guns inside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links