Where do you learn situational awareness?

This is a discussion on Where do you learn situational awareness? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read all the posts of "Ever Been a Victim???" http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ghlight=victim Very enlightening. I am sorry for what some of you went through. That thread ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you learn situational awareness?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Where do you learn situational awareness?

Just read all the posts of "Ever Been a Victim???"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ghlight=victim

Very enlightening. I am sorry for what some of you went through.

That thread sort of begs the question, were do you learn situational awareness? I have been rather oblivious all my life and either through dumb luck or angels hanging over me, I have never been a victim.

In some of these situations, the BGs have MOs that tend to repeat themselves. (I.E. one BG approaches and distracts while the other comes up from behind, etc.) Knowing about typical BG behavior is important. It is really not enough for someone to say check your surrounds, don't do this, do this. Ya, that helps, but what about a class and/or video that shows real life situations, what to look for, how to avoid them and what to do if you somehow find yourself in them.

(Note: I have watched a few of the Personal Defense TV shows and in one episode Massad Ayoob discussed strategies at an ATM. Very helpful.)

2. Remove Ads

Spend 20 years as an LEO in South Phoenix.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Spend 20 years as an LEO in South Phoenix.
    In my current awareness state, I probably would be dead within a week.

Assistant Administrator
    IMO you don't so much learn SA by going anywhere - you aquire it thru application and practice. You have all the tools - just use them better.

All that is required is switching on your senses fully and putting them to good use - vision is foremost. Extend this to actually identifying what your senses pick up - analyze and so be aware - then able to react if needed.

Don't be someone who might say ''I near jumped out of my skin" ....... that would usually follow being oblivious to surroundings and events ...... absorb your environment and process the information.

As I read from Southnarc, an ex drug cop I think - beware in particular ''task fixation'' ..... so when you bend to tie that loose shoe lace, be also alert to what is happening around you.

Practice it and cultivate it - it's no real skill - just an art resulting from better sensory utilization.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Grow up in DC and Prince Georges County MD from birth through school and your partying late 20s.
    Some how survive that to tell the tale and you too likely will have situational awareness akin to Spiderman. And a healthy if not liberal distrust of every man.

Frankly I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be taught per se to a high functional and practical degree.
    You just gotta live it and survive to come out stronger and better than you were to start. Kind of like peening metal or increasing bone strength and durability through bearing of loads and even overload.
    If you don't suffer a stress fracture or failure from fatigue then you will come out the other end hardened and with a keen sense of awareness.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    As I read from Southnarc, an ex drug cop I think - beware in particular ''task fixation'' ..... so when you bend to tie that loose shoe lace, be also alert to what is happening around you.
    I usually see, register and comprehend more than anyone else I know but, unfortunately, I do sometimes fall into that trap.

I am very hard of hearing but I see almost everything. Especially movement. I see something moving and my head swivels to look at it. In college, I had a hard time reading or studying in the lounges as I kept looking up to watch someone walking by. I had to look down and lace my fingers together to block out all peripheral vision just so i could focus on the book.

I think a lot of it is just a choice that you are going to watch what is going on around you. Become a people watcher. take the time to sit on a bench and just watch what is going on around you. go to a restaurant by yourself and not take a paper, book or anything else that can distract you and just watch everyone. While you are watching people look to see what they are doing. Try to guess what they are going to do next. Where are they moving to. it is hard to do sometimes but it is worth it.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm generally aware in high risk areas. There was one time I was delivering papers and a guy came up and asked me for change for a dollar... at 4:30 in the morning. Naturally my red flag went up and I said I dont have anything and made haste to my car.

"Knowing about typical BG behavior is important. " Trouble is, there is nothing typical. A lot of times you will find yourself following a "gut feeling" more than anything else. A good carry class should have a section on situational awareness and avoidance techniques. This will lay down the basic principles then it will be up to you to hone the skills you learn.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Chris hit it on the head. I recommend that folks just look around. Watch for things that are out of the ordinary. Trust that "feel" you get when something may not be right. Sit facing the door. Look at people, notice who's nervous or aggressive. Don't become paranoid, become confident. Punks look for an easy target, carry yourself well and they'll move on to someone else.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    "Knowing about typical BG behavior is important. " Trouble is, there is nothing typical. A lot of times you will find yourself following a "gut feeling" more than anything else. A good carry class should have a section on situational awareness and avoidance techniques. This will lay down the basic principles then it will be up to you to hone the skills you learn.
    Gut feelings have never lied to me before.

You know, for me, having never been in LE, or the military, a lot of is just instinct. Now, here comes the dumb part, in a way. Its interesting how things affect you as a kid, in a bad way, can come back and help you as you grow older. When I was a kid, I was picked on a lot, and whats worse, grew up in a very unsavory neighborhood. So as most humans do, or should anyway, they adapt, and learn what skills you need to avoid things. I guess I just never forgot them.

Even so, I still got to play the victim role not of my own choosing 3 years ago, despite any skills I have. That alone screams out the need to be prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    A friend suggested that one will get lazy in developing 'threat identification' SA skills since one rarely sees a true threat. Instead, he suggested that my wife and I play SA games such as, "Who can be the first to spot a person carrying something in their right hand?" or "Name the item in the back seat" (after getting in - to see if the other person checked the back seat). This improves one's awareness and it is a short jump from there to seeing true threats - one's instincts are a lot better at identifying spooky situations when one has one's antennae out.

Lead Moderator
    As said, learn the behaviors and traits of unsavory people. Knowing what to look for help alot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I just finished watching all 23 chapters of this course. I would highly recommend it. Click on each chapter then watch and go to the next one. Mr Stefani is very good. I personally learned a lot and it make you think.

http://www.freedombroadcastnetwork.c...n/sdn_main.pdv
    G19/G23/OD G26/G27
    Walther P22
    "Think before you pull" "Don't pull before you think"

Common sense. Lots of folks tend to over analyze things, make simple things very complex. No special skills, no magic bullet. Keep your eyes and ears open wherever you go. Nothing more complex than that.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links