Practice in vehicle...

Practice in vehicle...

This is a discussion on Practice in vehicle... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, did anyone else catch Personal Defense TV last night? They were talking about how much time all of us spend in our vehicles and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice in vehicle...

Practice in vehicle...

Hey, did anyone else catch Personal Defense TV last night? They were talking about how much time all of us spend in our vehicles and they were practicing techniques from there. They shot through the front windshield from inside out and showed on the target how the bullet would tumble due to the impact on the glass. Also, they showed how a car door is NO shield at all when it comes to protecting yourself. Does this mean that all those Hollywood movies that I've watched are wrong??? Perish the thought Had to smile when the instructor from Gunsite said that whenever he gets in the car with his wife he tells her to "armor up" before they go anywhere... tells her to put up the windows and lock the doors. Something so simple but we should all make it a habit. Realized after watching all this that I really need to practice getting out of my seatbelt and drawing as I have to drive 78 miles round trip to work. Can you tell that I think Personal Defense TV is the best show EVER???
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I saw that last night, it was good.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Lead Moderator
    Don't get that channel (Sure wish I did). Yes , practicing drawing with a seatbelt and vehicle obstructions is a good idea. depending on your ride, it can get cramped for draw space .
    If you practice enough, the seatbelt /other stuff can be worked around.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It's just the little things that can be so beneficial to you to practice. Like as you draw your weapon to bring it over the top of the steering wheel and not across the middle where it can get caught up. Small things like this can mean the difference between life and death and that's why this guy is going to be practicing this weekend. Oh, by the way, anyone out there have a car that I can practice shooting? I just want to borrow it... come on.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest practicing with either a empty gun or airsoft copy before firing rounds from your vehicle. Also you need good hearing protection and the muzzle blast may blow off or damage the interior/weather strips depending on vehicle and gun position when firing live rounds. Be safe ,first and foremost.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You're so right. I'm going to practice with an empty gun... forgot to add that. It's getting out of the seatbelt and drawing that I want to get comfortable with. As far as the noise... they even mentioned that they had ear plugs and ear muffs on and it was still extremely loud.
    Allen

VIP Member
    We have a old jeep that we use to practice from & behind. We use it on the farm as well.

One piece of advice......................don't use a good vehicle for practice. Eventually you are going to hit it!

(those are 5.56mm hits across the hood....oops.)

I'll have to wash that thing this spring, you can't even tell what color it is anymore.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Looks like that baby might need a coat of wax and a good buffing too. Had a friend in college that always had a dirty car. He said, "Why wash it... it will rain one day". Thanks for the tip though.
    Allen

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, watch the antenna too , shooting over the hood.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I DVR all the "Personal Defense TV"s. I actually need to catch up on them, think I have 3 episodes on there I haven't seen.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Hey, did anyone else catch Personal Defense TV last night?
    What channel is that on???
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Outdoors Channel..to find the schedule click the link http://www.gunsandammomag.com/pdtv/pdtv_showt2006/

Administrator
    Vehicle practice is important. You dont need to shoot from the car, but if you can, go for it. Someone mentioned softair already... thats a good idea. Drawing, knowing your blind spots, and being able to bail out and move effectively around the outside of the car is important.
    Also know when to grow roots and fight, and when to get out of dodge. Dont ditch the biggest, fastest weapon you have when you dont have too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Back in the 1980's I went thru Chapman Academy's Advanced Pistol course. Part of the curriculum then involved shooting from a moving vehicle, both as driver and (different run ) passenger.

They used an old Toyota Landcruiser, and we didn't shoot thru the glass at any time. Was a major challenge to hit anything, even though speed probably never exceeded 20 mph.

Fond memories....

If I even think I might be in a place needing a quicker draw from a vehicle...I carry a second weapon between the seats + my EDC on my person. Actually, drawing with the seatbelt on doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

Just the thought of having to draw to protect yourself in a car, or while getting gas really disgusts me...what a 'wacked' world we have to survive in...and it's getting much worse by the day!

Stay armed...stay alert in the car...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links