Columbia County, OR

This is a discussion on Columbia County, OR within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any info on how "gun friendly" the powers-that-be are in Columbia Co? (About 20 miles out of Portland) I visit my sister ...

Thread: Columbia County, OR

Columbia County, OR

Does anyone have any info on how "gun friendly" the powers-that-be are in Columbia Co? (About 20 miles out of Portland)
    I visit my sister there and it would be nice to be able to carry.
    Thanks!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

2. Remove Ads

Perfectly gun friendly. But then, it's a "shall issue" state. One thing to realize is that, so far as I know, Oregon also doesn't recognize other states' CHLs. Unless you can contact the sheriff in advance for a temporary, or an expedited non-resident CHL, I think you're going to be out of luck to carry outside your residence for the duration of your visit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In general Oregon is super gun friendly, as long as you follow the law. ccw9mm is correct and OR does not recognize other states' CHL's. I do not think any county will issue a temporary permit, however some may issue a non-resident. I think these are hard to get as you have to prove a "need" for the CHL, and self defense is not a "need". Oregon seems to be slow on the issue of CHL's, so I would contact the county ASAP before your next visit.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    it's "Super" gun friendly but won't recognize another State's CCW.
    That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Columbia county or any of the small counties are going to be the best for getting your out of state carry license. With Oregon most of the time though you have to have a decent reason in their eyes. I live in Vancouver WA and stated I wanted one because I carry in WA and didn't want a misdemenor if I crossed the bridge and forgot to unload it. That was reason enough for Multnomah county and they are more stingy with permits. I also received mine in the mail in less then 2 weeks.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Columbia county or any of the small counties are going to be the best for getting your out of state carry license. With Oregon most of the time though you have to have a decent reason in their eyes. I live in Vancouver WA and stated I wanted one because I carry in WA and didn't want a misdemenor if I crossed the bridge and forgot to unload it. That was reason enough for Multnomah county and they are more stingy with permits. I also received mine in the mail in less then 2 weeks.
    Can't find the link, but I believe I read somewhere that Oregon only approves non-res permits for residents of the adjacent states (CA, WA, ID, NV).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Each county is different as far as speed. In Washington County, I got mine pretty quickly.

I learned that my CHL was not valid in Washington so what I did was get a Utah permit. They are way behind. Takes about 6 months, but now I am "legal" in about 27 states.

Gun friendly to those who live in the state of Oregon or those who have an Oregon non-resident permit. The couldn't give a damn about the rest of you, at least the State don't.

I'm a Washington resident who also has an Oregon non-resident permit, so I am fine, but I doubt a North Dakota resident will ever get an Oregon permit.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Can't find the link, but I believe I read somewhere that Oregon only approves non-res permits for residents of the adjacent states (CA, WA, ID, NV).
    I personally confirmed this. I'd love to be able to carry in Oregon when I visit my son in Portland, but it's a no-go, since Oregon doesn't recognize my Montana permit.

If I lived in a state contiguous to Oregon, I could apply for a non-resident permit to say, the Multnomah County Sheriff, but I would have to show sufficient reason. Oregon non-resident permits are not "shall issue".

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.
    I probably won't be visiting until NEXT Christmas, anyway.
    Another question: If I apply in Oregon ,and get turned down, would that be a "black mark" as far as getting my Utah CCW?
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Quote Originally Posted by taggart View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.
    I probably won't be visiting until NEXT Christmas, anyway.
    Another question: If I apply in Oregon ,and get turned down, would that be a "black mark" as far as getting my Utah CCW?
    Thanks again for all your help!
    No. The only issues would be if you got turned down for cause, you will get turned down for cause in Utah also. More than likely you will only get denied because they only issue to contiguous states.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    it's "Super" gun friendly but won't recognize another State's CCW. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
    Accepting of guns by folks the state knows; not so much, with folks unknown to the state. Rightfully, IMO, the fear is of unknown people, not with the gun like truly gun-unfriendly places.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not to debate the open/concealed carry debate, but isn't open carry legal for residents and non residents alike in Oregon?
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Yes...BUT certain municipalities Beaverton, Gresham come to mind have ordinances that prohibit OC.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Not just those places. Many other areas are getting to where they frown heavily on OC. I can't remember which website keeps putting forth that Oregon is an OC friendly state, but it is something I would not reccomend.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Links