Sobering experience at the range...

This is a discussion on Sobering experience at the range... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... last night. Every Tuesday evening throughout the summer my range holds NRA Qualification shoots for pistol. I volunteer as an RO on these nights. ...

... last night. Every Tuesday evening throughout the summer my range holds NRA Qualification shoots for pistol. I volunteer as an RO on these nights. By this time of the program we have a good feel for everyone signed up in the program.

Last night 10 out of 15 shooters were CCW holders. We run a cold range with the ROs being the only ones continuosly hot. Well apparently our range is only lukewarm at best. I was talking to one of the shooters between relays and he is telling me about his new holster for his carry piece. I asked if I could see it, expecting him to head to his car for it, but he pulls up his shirt and taaaddddaaa. He was packing and I never would have guessed, then again he never knew about the snub in my pocket. Out of curiousity I ask how many others are packing concealed on the line. Every damn hand went up that had a CCW permit. I've been rubbing shoulders with these guys and looking for pieces for 3 months now and I never spotted a one of them.

This tells me two things. My observation skills suck, and a properly concealed handgun is a B#*!CH to find.

Just a word of warning to all. You never know who has a weapon and who doesn't. And treat everyone you meet like they may be armed.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HiWayMan
    ...Just a word of warning to all. You never know who has a weapon and who doesn't. And treat everyone you meet like they may be armed.
    Amen! And, good story.

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Story HiWayMan

When folks are properly concealed...then a hidden weapon is very difficult to spot unless you really practice looking for them.
    These great holster makers these days are really making some fine holsters for perfectly concealed carry.

Next time you go to the range mention CombatCarry.com
    They sound like they would be some great people to have tuning in to our forum.

Assistant Administrator
    I, like most of us - am always on ''lookout'' - it is a long time since I made anyone out and about!! I guess CCW has become a refined near artform!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    HiWayMan - it seems like you were surprised by the number of concealed guns on the "cold range", but didn't have a problem with it. That's good. The discussion about what a “cold range” means came up before (click here). To me, it means the guns that are seen. If it is concealed on me, it doesn’t count. If the range wants it to count, they better specifically tell me. And then I can make the decision to find another range. Now, if you are talking about competitive shooting matches like IDPA, that’s different. If it’s just normal range shooting, I’m going to be concealed carrying.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT -

That is our feeling at my range. We don't have a problem with hot concealed pieces, but those open on the line better be stone cold.

JT
    Cool. I agree 100%.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Huh? so concealed means "concealed"? How come your folks know that, when I see so many weenies trying to show off their guns? Sounds like you had a good group, and sounds like you are a fine RO.

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; August 10th, 2005 at 05:14 PM.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Don't feel bad, I've shocked fellow officers when I revealed a concealed weapon to them they had noticed.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

The only time I can think of having a concealed hot weapon on a range as being a bad thing is during Simms or Airsoft training.

That's why it's imperative that everyone involved or spectating be searched. Not just told to disarm, but actually searched. The last thing you want is a guy going for a hot BUG when his airsoft gun jams.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    The only time I can think of having a concealed hot weapon on a range as being a bad thing is during Simms or Airsoft training.

That's why it's imperative that everyone involved or spectating be searched. Not just told to disarm, but actually searched. The last thing you want is a guy going for a hot BUG when his airsoft gun jams.
    Very good point. I make sure we all have the real guns unloaded and put away when traing with airsoft. Otherwise I can imagine going for a backup or sidearm being second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by HiWayMan
    JT -

That is our feeling at my range. We don't have a problem with hot concealed pieces, but those open on the line better be stone cold.
    Good on you, fine Sir!
    This is as it should be.
    Concealed weapons are not meant to be seen until they are needed.

FWIW...I would not patronize any range that sees it any other way!
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

Cool Sobering experience...

HiWay

I am from NE Ohio too. Which range were you refering to? And what club are you a part of?
    As for the hot or cold range. If all participants were CCW holders I see no problem with a "Hot" range. However, as was stated earlier, if it is a simmuntions and/ot airsoft drill then it is IMPERITIVE that ALL participants be carefully checked for "Hot" weapons (and I don't mean stolen LOL).

KRobb

Links