Holstered Glock discharges?

This is a discussion on Holstered Glock discharges? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are constantly hearing, and talking, about if it's "dangerous" to carry a firearm such as a Glock with a round in the chamber. My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holstered Glock discharges?

We are constantly hearing, and talking, about if it's "dangerous" to carry a firearm such as a Glock with a round in the chamber. My question is has anyone ever known of a friend or acquaintance that has had a discharge while carrying in an ill fitting holster or is this just some kind of fantasy fear that people have created? I carry a G26 with one in the chamber and never think about it now but I will admit the first day I carried it it did cross my mind.

I KNOW, I KNOW...not trying to bring up the typical argument here about if a person should carry with one in the pipe...just looking for examples of this happening. Thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Some instances have occured where a Glock (and other firearms) have been fired while in the process of being holstered - usually because a shirt tail, key ring, or (duh) trigger finger found its way into the trigger guard. I have never heard of a Glock (or any other weapon) that is in a holster that covers the trigger guard being fired while actually in the holster.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OPFOR I thought the same thing but wanted to throw it out there in hopes that we might get an entertaining story from someone.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I am close to buying my first Glock and have been thinking about this too. I have a couple LEO friends who have carried Glocks for years in various holsters without a problem. It must hinge on a persons training + a proven holster. If I practice and train as often as I golf, I will be in trouble. But having to rack it in a stressful situation introduces more things to go wrong so I am am hoping to also get comfortable carrying round-in-chamber as I do my Beretta.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

dagor2k I think it is totally something mental. IMO if a person really is worried about this then they should carry the gun cocked but without one in the pipe around the house or something for a little bit... and then once they notice that it didn't fire then they should feel more comfortable with things. Just my thought.

I love my Glocks. They always go bang when I want them to. Go get you one... don't think you will be disappointed. (Besides, it's a new gun, how can ANYONE be disappointed with that???) ha!
    Allen

I have two EDC's...85-90% of the time it's my Kimber Ultra...but a small portion of the time, usually on my Harley, I take my Glock-36. I am keenly aware of the finger/shirt thing EACH and EVERY time I reholster my Glock...one cannot be TOO careful!

Guns just do not go 'boom' by themselves!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have two EDC's...85-90% of the time it's my Kimber Ultra...but a small portion of the time, usually on my Harley, I take my Glock-36. I am keenly aware of the finger/shirt thing EACH and EVERY time I reholster my Glock...one cannot be TOO careful!
    MMMMMMMM, Kimber Ultra... I want one, no NEED one of those!!!
    Allen

Senior Moderator
    I've never heard of a Glock firing 'by itself' in a holster. But there have been numerous incidents reported of Glocks firing while holstering due to various reasons.

Two holsters, Fobus, the one with the snap flap, I forget the name, and now the Blackhawk Serpa models for the Glock have had recalls due to discharges with the Glock. They have not had this problem with any other gun.

Also there have been at least four reports on GT of Glocks being 'pre-maturely' discharged in the draw stroke from a Serpa holster. At least two of these occured with seasoned trainers. In one case the trainer shot himself in the leg, fortunately with a Simunition round IIRC.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    We are constantly hearing, and talking, about if it's "dangerous" to carry a firearm such as a Glock with a round in the chamber. My question is has anyone ever known of a friend or acquaintance that has had a discharge while carrying in an ill fitting holster or is this just some kind of fantasy fear that people have created? I carry a G26 with one in the chamber and never think about it now but I will admit the first day I carried it it did cross my mind.

I KNOW, I KNOW...not trying to bring up the typical argument here about if a person should carry with one in the pipe...just looking for examples of this happening. Thanks!

As far as being dangerous to carry one in the chamber its dangerous to carry a gun without one and also to carry safety on.

If you understand and know how a Glock's firing mechanism works. A glock at physical rest even when thrown out of an Airplane at 21,000 feet. Chances of it going off are next to impossible. The drop safety in the gun is actually a piece of metal blocking the firing pin. The only way to move it out of the way is to pull the trigger.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have owned and carried Glocks in a variety of holsters since 1994. Never a problem. Just pay attention to what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Two holsters, Fobus, the one with the snap flap, I forget the name, and now the Blackhawk Serpa models for the Glock have had recalls due to discharges with the Glock. They have not had this problem with any other gun.

Also there have been at least four reports on GT of Glocks being 'pre-maturely' discharged in the draw stroke from a Serpa holster. At least two of these occured with seasoned trainers. In one case the trainer shot himself in the leg, fortunately with a Simunition round IIRC.
    The Serpa has the unfortunate "inducement" to have one slip one's finger inside the trigger guard as the pistol is unholstered (because of the release design.) DAOs, DAKs, LEMs, HIJKLMNOPs are more forgiving of a little finger pressure, prematurely applied.

I've heard of them hanging up on something while holstering and firing.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    The Serpa has the unfortunate "inducement" to have one slip one's finger inside the trigger guard as the pistol is unholstered (because of the release design.) DAOs, DAKs, LEMs, HIJKLMNOPs are more forgiving of a little finger pressure, prematurely applied.
    The Serpa is about the only holster I carry my Glocks in now. I do lot's of draw and fire drills and I just confirmed this again last night. Due to the location of the release lever, if I press the lever, pull the gun straight up with my finger sliding up the holster as the gun comes out, my finger is right on the side of the frame just where I'd want it to be. In fact, my impression is that if I place my finger on the holster where it would line up with the trigger, it won't release the lock.

I'm not sure why there's a draw problem, or if in fact, there really is one.

Just to be clear, the Serpa recall is because of a holstering problem. It seems that the top of the holster can contact the trigger in a way to cause a discharge. I looked at that when I first got the holster, way before the recall was issued, tested it to see if it was possible, felt that it was, and modified the top of the holster so it couldn't be a problem.

It won't discharge unless you pull the trigger.
    Religion won't prevent you from committing a sin. It will, however, prevent you from enjoying it as much as you'd like to.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rb8941 View Post
    It won't discharge unless you pull the trigger.
    It depends on what you mean by pull the trigger. Blackhawk obviously defines pulling the trigger as it coming in contact with the top of the holster which can pull the trigger as a Glock is being holstered. It does not require a finger to be on the trigger or in the trigger guard for this to happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links