Police chief anti conceal carry

This is a discussion on Police chief anti conceal carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More related to what DirksterG30 posted: Posted on Tue, Aug. 09, 2005 Relatives, friends criticize death of man in Sunrise police raid BY JANETTE NEUWAHL ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police chief anti conceal carry

VIP Member
    More related to what DirksterG30 posted:

Posted on Tue, Aug. 09, 2005

Relatives, friends criticize death of man in Sunrise police raid

BY JANETTE NEUWAHL

jneuwahl@herald.com

Wearing black armbands with painted gold hearts, family and friends grieving the death of a Sunrise man shot and killed in a police drug raid staged a peaceful protest at a City Commission meeting Tuesday night.

A dozen mourners stood in memory of Anthony Andrew Diotaiuto as a friend, William DeLarm, told officials why he thinks the death of the 23-year-old bartender was wrong.

''No where in the Constitution does it say that you can be killed by those sworn to protect and shield the public,'' said DeLarm.

About 6:15 a.m. on Friday, a police SWAT team raided the south Sunrise home where Diotaiuto lived with his mother, Marlene Whittier. Diotaiuto was alone at home.

Lt. Robert Voss, a spokesman for Sunrise police, said officers entered the home with a search warrant to look for evidence that Diotaiuto dealt drugs. The officers were armed because they knew Diotaiuto had a firearms license, Voss said. When they found Diotaiuto with a pistol, Officers Sean Visners and Andre Bruma fired, Voss said.

Police screamed such warnings as ''Freeze!'' and ''Police!'' when they walked into the home, Voss added. But Diotaiuto ran into his bedroom, Voss said.

''My heart goes out to the family and friends [of Diotaiuto] and all of the members of the police department feel the same way,'' said Voss, reserving comment on the family's accusations until a formal report is released. ``It's a tragedy and our officers are going through a tough time.''

The death of Diotaiuto was the first time the 14-year-old SWAT team has shot a suspect, Voss added.

Voss said he could not immediately say how many times police shot Diotaiuto, but Brian Kickbush, the boyfriend of Diotaiuto's mother, said there were about 10 gunshot wounds.

Diotaiuto died soon after the shooting. Police said they found 2 ounces of marijuana at the home, along with some plastic bags and some weight scales.

Voss said Sunrise detectives had been observing people visiting his home and an undercover investigator or informant had bought drugs from him, Voss said.

David Arker, a manager who worked with Diotaiuto at the Carolina Ale House in Weston, said his employee and friend only smoked marijuana ''casually'' and did not sell drugs. He said Diotaiuto was a hard worker.

Diotaiuto's girlfriend, Leslie Kellner, 21, said he also worked as a DJ and sold his prized sports car to pay for the home he shared with his mom. ''If he was a drug dealer, he could have bought his mom a new car, but he couldn't even afford to fix it,'' said Kellner, 21.

Diotaiuto's loved ones said they did not think police properly identified themselves.

''If Anthony knew who was at his door, he would have cooperated,'' Kellner said.

Sunrise Mayor Steven B. Feren told the group he was sorry for their loss, but that the city was waiting for an investigation before more answers would be available.

A funeral Mass for Diotaiuto will be 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. David's Catholic Church, 3900 S. University Dr., Davie.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Miggy,

Thanks for posting the article. I routinely carry my 1911 in the house, and it got me thinking - what would happen if the police kicked in my door, or if I answered the door with a loaded gun on my person, not knowing it's the police?

Assistant Administrator
    Thx too Miggy from me.

Dirkster - I carry all waking hours - period. I too wonder if I got a ''no knock'' what would happen - more than anything because how the heck am I to know the intruders are genuine cops anyways.

Anyone can bust the door down and yell ''armed police'' - and in heat of moment when one's thought is protection of self family and home - well - I do not relish having to find out. In fact I have no possible reason to think I'd get a no knock anyways but - rumor has it.... busts have been made at wrong address at times!

Worrying - ain't it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    That was precisely the argument on the other board that ended up degenerating into a full fledge confrontation. In South Florida we had cases of BG's pretending to be cops and doing home robbery invasions. Some advocated that, to be in the safe side, not to do a thing 'cause maybe the bad guys will let you live. The discussion went downhill from then on.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

In Oregon, the Portland Police Chief is the same. The rest of Oregon, to my knowledge, the chief's just keep quiet because the People don't agree with their politics.

Police Chiefs are appointed, Sheriffs are elected. The Sheriff does what the People want, Police Chiefs do what the pols want.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    Miggy,

Thanks for posting the article. I routinely carry my 1911 in the house, and it got me thinking - what would happen if the police kicked in my door, or if I answered the door with a loaded gun on my person, not knowing it's the police?
    I won't say more than you might want to attend a couple of James Keating's Riddle of Steel firearms courses. I believe his "Overcoming the Stack" is restricted, but a couple of friends have had extremely high praise for his "unconventional thought".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links