Police chief anti conceal carry

This is a discussion on Police chief anti conceal carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...22121330.shtml The above article is an concern. What exactly does he mean by a more aggressive form of policing? Most local LEO's are in favor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police chief anti conceal carry

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...22121330.shtml

The above article is an concern. What exactly does he mean by a more aggressive form of policing? Most local LEO's are in favor of conceal carry and do not have a problem. However many "chiefs" are against it and try to cloud the issue with "Officer safety" when their real intent is a liberal agenda of gun control. One thing to bear in mind police chiefs are political appointments.

Wisconsin does pass a concealed carry act, the public could expect “a more aggressive style in policing.”

“If we already have such safe communities, why would we want to change that?” Myers said.

If it does become legal to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin, “expect to see a more aggressive style of policing,” Myers said.

What's up with police chiefs??

During the testimony phase before Nebraska's CCW bill went to the Unicameral for debate/consideration the Chief of Police of Nebraska City (Pop 7500) testified against CCW. Chief Muldoon is the president of the state chiefs of police association. How the chief of what's probably a 15 person dept becomes the exalted grand poobah of police chiefs is beyond me. I'm guessing there's not a lot of competition for the position. Undoubtedly the high point of his life.

His premise is that CCW will lead to more guns among the public and therefore will result in more gun accidents in the home, and more shootings among the citizenery. He couldn't say what the breakdown of chiefs of police in Nebarska was for/against, just that he was against it. He didn't put up much in the way of a spirited defense of his position...he had zero stats or studies to support his position, just seemed to expect that his annointed position as pres of the chief's association gave him a defacto platform to spew his drivel.

Fortunately, LB 454 seems destined for passage & governer's signature late this year.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Assistant Administrator
    This ''more aggressive'' crap grates!! We are the cop's friend, not enemy for C-sake!!

Do not these Cops in question realize, the average CCW is way more responsible than most - has usually in some form had some basic (at least) training and - ''hello'' ---- has been checked to make sure he/she has a clean sheet!

So - all these risky CCW's are gonna make things hot are they - the ''rivers of blood'' garbage and stuff. Plus - if they have both some training and sense are and will be more cognissant of safety rules than most too.

I'll wager the majority of CCW's are the most loathe folks in the nation to ever wish to use a firearm in anger. I stand by that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Remember that Chiefs are politicians. That's how they get those jobs. It's generally not the top of the normal career progression charts. They may have been with us at one time, but their ambition later clouds their integrity and judgement.

Yet another reason I left Green Bay and came here. The PC would crap himself if he talked with his officers. An instructor at my cop school I went to in GB is a GB officer. He said himself and many ( almost half of the 400-some officers) are in favor of CCW in WI. He said the PC is very left wing and doesn't get it anymore. Too much time behind the desk.

Liberal hotspots in WI are Madison, Milwaukee, and most recently, Green Bay.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle
    concealed carry is a very dangerous proposition.
    Prove it. Let's see you back up that statement with one fact.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Unhappy Today, MANY if not MOST cops are antigun

Quote Originally Posted by country85
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...22121330.shtml

The above article is an concern. What exactly does he mean by a more aggressive form of policing? Most local LEO's are in favor of conceal carry and do not have a problem. However many "chiefs" are against it and try to cloud the issue with "Officer safety" when their real intent is a liberal agenda of gun control. One thing to bear in mind police chiefs are political appointments.

Wisconsin does pass a concealed carry act, the public could expect “a more aggressive style in policing.”

“If we already have such safe communities, why would we want to change that?” Myers said.

If it does become legal to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin, “expect to see a more aggressive style of policing,” Myers said.
    Well, one hint is to look at the politics of the main organization representing Chiefs of Police in this case the IACP (International Association of Chiefs of Police) is a globalist NWO antigun group. Know what I call their idea of police and civic paradise? A POLICE STATE.

I used to agree with the notions that street cops are pro Second Amendment and Pro-CCW permits and I would have been correct 20 years ago. But with the proliferation of liberal educators pushing the liberal antigun AGENDA and you have students who have been raised and passed thru grade after grade without hearing the OTHER side of the issue and they never question the agenda of disarmament.

Where are the police overwhelmingly educated? Public Schools. In fact the message takes SO well that they think that guns are so evil they themselves shouldn't become experts in firearms handling. That's why you now have dozens of cops shooting HUNDREDS of rounds at the same time at one BG and....missing. Now, I'm talking the average street cop, not the SWAT guys, or warrant squad or other special units.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Through the years Chiefs have gone from street cop, who are generally on our side, to politician who think they know more than we the public do. This Green Bay Chief is sputtering the same dribble you hear time and time again which always proves to be untrue.

Here in Minnesota after several years of CC some Chiefs admitted in a news article that there hasn't been a problem. The worst I heard was that one issued a permit to someone they may not have under the old law but even that person turned out to not be a problem.

If these chiefs would only talk to one another instead of trying to climb the political ladder they might learn something. Keep up the good fight Wisconsin.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by country85

Yup. Green Bay is such a safe place now. We have had how many murders in the past five years? An increase of what percent? Hell, we don't even need LE anymore, it is so safe. The community polices itself. There is no crime here. What are you talking about?

Wisconsin had 49 murders, 4000 some rapes, and 6000 some assaults in 2004 alone. I'd say WI is getting along fine.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sent to editor of the GP Press Gazette by me:

"I am appalled at the blatant disregard for the safety of civilians by the chiefs of police in WI and for the gun grabbers in Madison/Milwaukee/GB. If carrying a concealed weapon was so dangerous, wouldn't you think that the other 46 states who have concealed carry would have repealed their laws? The only ones who it is not safe for are the criminals. They haven't because it saves lives. Criminals prefer UNARMED victims.

Law enforcement already treats everyone as armed and dangerous; it's what keeps them alive on the streets every day. If WI is so safe we wouldn't need LE. Police officers carry guns both on and off duty. Why? For protection. If someone has enough guts to attack an officer, they won't think twice about attacking a civilian.

I was born in Oshkosh and lived there for 10 years, lived in Milwaukee for 4 years and lived in Green Bay 10 years. I recently moved to Michigan because they issue concealed weapon permits. THEY take my safety seriously. I am the only one who is responsible for my own safety. Cops can't be everywhere everytime. They protect the general population, not the individual.

Remember, in 1872 the Klu Klux Klan pushed the legislature to ban concealed weapons so when they went to attack Blacks, the Blacks couldn't protect themselves with a firearm. Not supporting the Personal Protection Act in WI is the same as supporting the racist, murdering efforts of the KKK. Remember that."
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Lead Moderator
    Guess I am lucky. The new sheriff (since I worked for the S.D.) is more pro gun than the last. But he came thru the ranks to become sheriff. The last sheriff was a politician all the way.

Assistant Administrator
    This ''safe community'' stuff is utter crap!! Superficially a community can seem safe - in as much as crime figures may be modest by other standards. This however does NOT make the individual guaranteed safe from attack - neither does it change the fact that the cops, doing their best - cannot in any way respond and be on the scene during the vital seconds or minute when something goes down.

''Serve and protect''?? The best they can maybe but for the average cop it is more likely he/she will arrive and have to reel out the ''crime scene'' tape, call the coroner and then start mopping up and measuring up. We know - irrefutably - only WE can take responsibility for our own safety and that of loved ones - no one but no one can do it for us. It is that simple and yet some Police Chiefs would try and fool folks it is otherwise.
    But with the proliferation of liberal educators pushing the liberal antigun AGENDA and you have students who have been raised and passed thru grade after grade without hearing the OTHER side of the issue and they never question the agenda of disarmament.
    Ex - that reminds me of your excellent thread re agendas and issues - something I thought was very profound and innately logical. Well to those of us with even half a brain, who not exist on gut emotions and little else!!

There are too many malevolent agendas - and too few real issues addressed.
    Chris - P95

What scares me is the "aggressive style of policing". What does that mean? SWAT teams get called out for a traffic stop? Jaywalkers arrested at gunpoint?

I wish Sen. Zien had also mentioned that the police are not obligated to answer every 911 call. I think most people are unaware of this, especially the fact that there is legal precident for this. Given that fact, any police chief who is anti-gun is basically saying "you're on your own, but I don't want you to have the means to effectively defend yourselves."

It is good to know that not all police officers are anti-2nd Amendment. For example: http://www.leaa.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    What scares me is the "aggressive style of policing". What does that mean? SWAT teams get called out for a traffic stop? Jaywalkers arrested at gunpoint?
    I'll post the following link and will not comment. I am already in deep trouble on another board. But you can arrive to your own conclussions

Slaying victim's kin rip officials

The officers were armed because they knew Diotaiuto had a firearms license, Voss said.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - darn it - another site that wants you to reg'. I have given up on BugMeNot - it never seems to work - and do not want to reg myself.

I guess it is about cops ''arming up'' because of a legal CCW person.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links