Flying through Boston

Flying through Boston

This is a discussion on Flying through Boston within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MA folks....I need some help. In June I'm headed to VT for a week. My plan is to fly from VA to Boston and then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying through Boston

MA folks....I need some help.

In June I'm headed to VT for a week. My plan is to fly from VA to Boston and then a friend is going to pick me up and we're going to drive to VT (no overnight in MA--straight to VT).

I've flown with firearms before....I've got the airline and TSA info

I know my VA permit is no good in PRMA.

Questions:
    Are there any wierd Boston/Logan Airport/MA rules about a non-MA resident bringing in a firearm that isn't on the MA list of "approved" guns?

Any cautions upon arrival?

BTW, this will be a one-way flight, as my family is driving up the next week for some vacation time and we will be driving back together.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Your flying from VA to Boston to get to Virginia Tech? Seems like a bit out of the way!! Jking!! On situations like this I suggest you do some searching online and get the correct info, don't rely what someone says on a gun forum. Could ruin that week and much more.
    Have a great trip.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Your flying from VA to Boston to get to Virginia Tech?

VT is VERMONT not at all out of the way when you think about it!

If haven't purchased tickets already, why not look at flying into Manchester/Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, New Hampshire). This would solve a lot of the MA issues.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post

VT is VERMONT not at all out of the way when you think about it!

If haven't purchased tickets already, why not look at flying into Manchester/Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, New Hampshire). This would solve a lot of the MA issues.
    Good idea...I'll look at that as my Plan B. I'm taking any/all ideas--haven't decided yet. I'm in the information gathering mode.

I figure I would start with the forum here first and get pointed in the right direction.....plus, the ground truth by those who have flown through Logan is what I'm also looking for....

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Second to fly into Manchester.
    If forced to stay in Boston--due to a delay--you'd be asking for trouble.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You are NOT flying into Mass. with a gun.
    That's as bad as trying New York City or Chicago.
    They don't recognize FOPA.

N, no, no.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Once you land at Logan, the moment you take posession of your checked bag you are in violation of MA law. The best way for you to avoid the situation entirely is to fly into Manchester, NH (MHT) as others have stated. Manchester is a Southwest hub, FYI - that's probably your best bet for cheap tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post

N, no, no.

AFS
    Can you be more specific?.....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Can you be more specific?.....
    Me too! I've heard some really whacked out stuff about transporting firearms across Massachusetts including one year mandatory sentence. Anyone want to elaborate on this?

ps. Manchester is a plus 1. Don' ask why but you can get round trip tickets for under $300 Tucson to Manchester. Try that to Boston and you can double it.

Definitely look into Manchester- Aside from the obvious issues with arriving with a gun, its easy access to the roads that will get you to VT, and its a much better airport than Logan in terms of crowding as well. Plus the range I shoot at is only like a mile from the airport- not a bad place to hit up if time allows.

Where you guys headed in VT? I'm up north a lot and theres a bunch of fun stuff depending on what you and the family are looking to do.

Southwests site won't let you book June yet but I just checked using May and from Norfolk to Manchester is $78 on line! I'm sure it'd be around $100 with taxes and fees but thats a nice price.

Going to Vermont Via Boston

There is a letter that covers this.

http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf

U. S. Department of Justice
    Office of Legislative Affairs
    Office of the Assistant Attorney General
    Washington, D.C. 20530
    February 18, 2005

The Honorable Don Young
    U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Young:

Thank you for your letter, dated June 18, 2003, to Admiral James M. Loy, then- Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), concerning the applicability of 18 U.S.C. section 926A to persons at airports in New York State who are taking flights to destinations outside of New York. Because section 926A is a provision of the Gun Control Act (GCA), which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) enforces, TSA forwarded your letter to the Department of Justice for response. We apologize for the delay in responding.

In your letter you explained that local police officers in New York have threatened several individuals at John F. Kennedy International Airport and Albany International Airport with arrest for firearms possession based on strict State laws, and that in at least one case the firearms were confiscated. You explained that: (1) the people carrying the firearms were not prohibited from possessing firearms under Federal law, (2) the people had apparently traveled directly, without any interruption in the transportation, to the airports from other States where they legally could possess firearms, (3) their firearms and ammunition were secured in accordance with all applicable regulations for airline travel, and (4) they were flying to other States or countries where they could legally possess firearms.

You then asked if TSA agrees that section 926A enables these travelers to possess the firearms legally in the New York airports and if so, if TSA would inform local police and prosecutors about this provision of the GCA. We appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention. The Department of Justice agrees that the provisions of section 926A apply to the situation set forth above assuming: (1) the person is traveling from somewhere he lawfully may possess and carry a firearm; (2) en route to the airport the firearm is unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment of his car; (3) the person transports the firearm directly from his vehicle to the airline check-in desk without any interuption in the transportation; and (4) while carrying the firearm to the check-in desk it is unloaded and in a locked container. This interpretation reflects the apparent congressional intent in enacting this provision, while allowing State and local law enforcement to continue to enforce their firearms laws aggressively to promote public safety. We will inform the applicable law enforcement authorities of our interpretation of section 926A.

We trust this information responds to your inquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Sincerely,

William E. Moschella
    Assistant Attorney General
    Bottom line - switching modes of transportation is not a problem.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post

N, no, no.

AFS
    REALLY??

Please explain exactly where you got your info about MA not recognizing FOPA.

I only live here and am considered by many as reasonably knowledgeable about MA gun laws. Never heard of this.

FOPA will legally allow the OP to fly into Logan and drive to the state of VT.

----------

All that said, I personally wouldn't go near Logan Airport on a bet! Haven't flown out of their since 1999 and NEVER intend to step foot on their property ever again.

I also highly recommend flying into Manchester NH and then hitting I-89 into VT.

Logan is run by idiots . . . there was a reason that the terrorists picked that airport to get their plane-bombs. Security there is a joke, only made to look good for the nightly news.

A friend of mine busted at Logan about 3 years ago.
    Flew in with his weapon in his checked bag and declaration inside.
    Upon arrival at Logan he opened his bad to make sure his gun was still there.
    A cop looking over his shoulder asked if he had a gun.
    Band!!
    Arrested, 2 days in your lovely jail.
    $15,000 attorney fees in Federal court to get the State charges tossed.

Lost the gun.

Nope, ain't flying into Logan.

AFS

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    If you have no MA LTC, the gun MUST remain locked in the bag at all times while in MA (no checking). Anything else and you are indeed risking arrest/persecution/jail. [FOPA doesn't let you do otherwise and MGLs don't either.]

Sorry.

I agree with the assessment wrt staying away from Logan however.

The gun was locked in it's case at all times.
    It was the suitcase that was opened.

AFS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links