Do you CCW when/where you shouldn't?

This is a discussion on Do you CCW when/where you shouldn't? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first post. I don't know if there would be many responses to my query but here goes it. I was wondering if any members ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

My first post. I don't know if there would be many responses to my query but here goes it.

I was wondering if any members that actually carry a concealed firearm when they are not supposed to. That is for example:

> It is against the law in their state to conceal carry.
    > There is signage on a business forbiding conceal carry.

There was a gentleman that posted on another forum that said he does carry a concealed firearm for protection when he goes fishing in isolated areas but the laws in his area prohibits CCW. I understood his reasoning but if he did have to use his firearm for SD, what now? He wasn't suppose to have the firearm in the first place. I just was wondering what is the attitude of the members here.

I haven't (as of yet) carried anywhere that was off limits. I had to leave the gun in the car before going into DMV, because I have seen cops in there before as security(there wasn't any there that day), plus I needed to use my CHP as proof of residency and didn't want them asking,"do you have it on you now?"
    Anyways, I'm not worried about carrying at a posted buisness. They can just ask me to leave. Not too worried about post offices or federally owned parks either. Courthouses and government buildings I don't think I would.
    But who knows! An ex bosses' wife was grazed by a bullet when that nutcase shot 2 police officers in the US capitol building 10 years or so ago. So unless there's pat downs or metal detectors maybe I should re-think. This is just theoretically speaking,of course.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member
    You might want to check out another thread " Where don't you carry" That might explain the reason if you don't get many responses to your first post.

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to start more threads if the first one don't go far.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Just a reminder that the forum rules prohibit discussion of illegal activities.

So having said that there really is only one correct answer that will be left on the forum.

I don't carry in places where my permit is not valid or it is prohibited by law/federal regulation. Or, none of anyone's business.

There are search engine bots running on this forum almost all the time. If you post something it is archived by a search engine in perpetuity. You can delete it from the active posts here, but Google et. al. will have it as a cached page. That means it is accessible to someone who searches for it.

You admit to illegal activity and it is out there, someone will find it when you least expect it and it will do you the most harm - Murphy's Law
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Just a reminder that the forum rules prohibit discussion of illegal activities.

So having said that there really is only one correct answer that will be left on the forum.

I don't carry in places where my permit is not valid or it is prohibited by law/federal regulation. Or, none of anyone's business.

There are search engine bots running on this forum almost all the time. If you post something it is archived by a search engine in perpetuity. You can delete it from the active posts here, but Google et. al. will have it as a cached page. That means it is accessible to someone who searches for it.

You admit to illegal activity and it is out there, someone will find it when you least expect it and it will do you the most harm - Murphy's Law

This is for sure a fact!. I hear all the time of people googleing their name so I tried it a couple of weeks ago and the only things that came up on my name was the stuff I've written in this forum.

VIP Member
    Very similar thread running CLICK HERE

In most states you cannot be charged with anything for carrying in a business with a sign if you leave when asked. Kansas is a notable exception. You should know the law in any state you intend to carry in.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! +! on previous comments. Businesses can ask me to leave. There are places where the risk just isn't worth it: court houses, DMV etc. There are also places, like the Colorado wolderness, where I always carry! I don't like other critters higher on the food chain!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I don't go to places where the powers choose to disallow me to defend myself. There are plenty of alternatives where such restrictions are not attempted.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Had not thought abt it..interesting
    Last edited by DrLewall; January 5th, 2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

first of all welcome aboard. if its legal i carry. if not ill lock my gun in car.
    normally ill just go somewhere else thats more ccw friendly.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Never at a school, courthouse, or federal building. These are illegal in CA.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Nebraska has an "interesting" law structure when it comes to CCW.

There is the old CCW law, in which it is a crime to carry a concealed weapon, but there is an "affirmative defense" that the actor was engaged in a lawful calling or employment, and the circumstances were such that a reasonable person would find it prudent to be armed.

There is the new Concealed Handgun Permit law, which provides a laundry list of places where PERMIT HOLDERS are prohibited from carrying, and doing so would be a misdemeanor.

....and then there is the LEOSA, which allows active and retired full-time law enforcement officers to CCW throughout the nation.

I look at it this way: that aforementioned laundry list of prohibited places refers SPECIFICALLY to "permit holders". I am not a "permit holder".

I will not carry where there is a possibility that getting caught could prevent me from keeping my CCW permit. It is far more likely that I just would not visit places like that unless there is no other choice.

Stay armed...legally...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    In most states you cannot be charged with anything for carrying in a business with a sign if you leave when asked. Kansas is a notable exception. You should know the law in any state you intend to carry in.
    Where can I find the applicable law for a given state? I've been reading about this here for a while. It seems to me that if you aren't really in "trouble" if caught unless you refuse to leave, it would make it a worthwhile risk to take.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Administrator

Post Be Careful Posting Folks.

Just A Friendly Moderator Reminder:

DefensiveCarry Rule #8
    Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed.
    Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned.
    Simple admission of illegal activity on your part will normally be removed or the poster given the opportunity to edit their admission out of the post.
    Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links