Requiring an employee to CCW

This is a discussion on Requiring an employee to CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been much discussion about businesses not allowing employees to carry while on the job. My manager just quit so I am interviewing candidates ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Requiring an employee to CCW

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

There has been much discussion about businesses not allowing employees to carry while on the job. My manager just quit so I am interviewing candidates to run a small manufacturing business. It is not a cash business though there are walk ins and there is always some cash on hand. It is a daytime business and is closed nights and weekends. I was wondering whether I should make it a requirement to CCW on the job. My interests would be better protected as well as my employees.

Any opinions?

Making it a requirement will place the burden for training and screening on your shoulders, as well as shared liability. My employer pays 300% of the normal liability insurance premium for our group.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member
    Would not do that on a bet. As an employer that is CCW friendly, the lest I know about an employee CCW the happier I am.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I'm an employer and wouldn't dream of making it a requirement in the setting you describe. The liabilities would be huge.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

just the license

You could require perspective new employes to have a ccw permit and state the reason as the cheapest state and FBI background check available. Then stand mute on whether anyone can or cannot carry. J

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    You could require perspective new employes to have a ccw permit and state the reason as the cheapest state and FBI background check available. Then stand mute on whether anyone can or cannot carry. J
    I don't know that I would require applicants to have a ccw, but state that canidates with a ccw will have an expedited interview and background check. Everything else sounds good. A "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    Even in that situation, you'd be discriminating. Employee, or potential employee discrimination is a very serious matter. And ditto on what everyone else has said thus far. Not a good idea at all. You could throw out the option though, and possibly offer some sort of incentive for that.

Requiring an employee to CCW is one thing.

You want me to shoot somebody stealing your stuff or your money? You then become responsible for my bail, my legal defense, and my pay for every moment I'm in jail 24/7, with overtime after 40...

VIP Member
    As far as I went was encouraging my employees to get their permits and carry. Any that didn't or didn't want to do so, no problem. However it does establish a sort of culture and I didn't have anyone that didn't have a permit and didn't carry whenever possible.

Making having a permit and carrying a gun puts a lot of liability on your shoulders. You should also check with your insurance about it. If your employee shoots someone while "on duty" for you the company just assumed the liability for that shooting. Lawyers always go for the deepest pockets, which likely isn't the employee.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I think that If during the interview you were to state that if they had or wanted to get a ccw and training that they were welcome to carry on the job. This would do 2 things; It would let them know you were gun friendly, and that if they wanted to carry a gun you wanted them to be legal and have a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I think that If during the interview you were to state that if they had or wanted to get a ccw and training that they were welcome to carry on the job. This would do 2 things; It would let them know you were gun friendly, and that if they wanted to carry a gun you wanted them to be legal and have a permit.
    And clarify in writing that if they choose to carry while on the clock. the weapon is for their personal protection only not protection of the company property, the insurance will take care of that.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Just one word... LIABILITY!

I wouldn't do anything gun related before you consult an attorney.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I completely concur with the responses that say no. I own my own construction company and I can tell you about liability involved if you do that. I have men who CCW and they know I know it, but all I have ever said on the issue was if you do carry concealed on my jobs, do it legally. This is America and I will not deny any of my employees their right to carry their guns. But if you require it, then YOU have accepted full responsibility of their actions. Also you may give them the thought that they are now some kind of armed security guard. Big ego, big trouble.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As an employer i have found the requirement to show up on time every workday to be a rather rigorous as well as seemingly onorus one for the labor pool we have . I honestly wouldnt dream of further requirements lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    As an employer i have found the requirement to show up on time every workday to be a rather rigorous as well as seemingly onorus one for the labor pool we have . I honestly wouldnt dream of further requirements lol .
    AMEN to that! seems i heard your name somewhere before, contractortalk.com maybe?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links