Uncomfortable driving

This is a discussion on Uncomfortable driving within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just started carrying all the time. Right now it is not comfortable for me, but I think it is because the holster is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncomfortable driving

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Uncomfortable driving

I have just started carrying all the time. Right now it is not comfortable for me, but I think it is because the holster is just not right for me. (I have a new one on the way.)

One of the most uncomfortable times for me is while I am driving. I am just wondering how you guys deal with it? Do you take the gun out and put it somewhere else? Do you just let it dig into your back? It is uncomfortable, but for short drives, it is tolerable. Or do some holster just lend themselves to more comfort?

2. Remove Ads

Holster selection and position are 90% of it. Your body getting used to it is the other 10%.

Depending on your mode of carry, can you deploy quickly/easily while in the car?

I can not and will be getting a simple cross draw holster for driving.

My tucked IWB holster is comfortable while driving so long as I don't slouch, and it took me a few days to find the sweet spot.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I predict that the common answers here will be:

Find a holster setup that works for you.

Take your firearm off your person, but keep it within immediate reach while driving.

I know two individuals that have crossdraw holsters just for use while driving.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

i use my Uncle Mike sidekick for car travel. I slide it into this and place it between the seat and the console. Ckeap generic holster, maybe 20 bucks.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member
    Even with the seats in my truck that wrap around your sides, I'm not at all uncomfortable wearing my VersaMax-II!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I use this: Galco "snap on" holster

It's about the worst holster I've ever seen, certainly the worst I've ever owned. That said, angle is adjustable and I can snap it onto my belt for cross-draw while driving. After a couple hours in the garage I found the right way to wear it.

Edit: I should add - this stays in my car (the holster). It's dedicated to my drive time.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

When you find the right belt/holster combination...you won't even know it's there when you're driving...
    You just have to get the right holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I predict that the common answers here will be:

Find a holster setup that works for you.

Take your firearm off your person, but keep it within immediate reach while driving.

I know two individuals that have crossdraw holsters just for use while driving.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Yes, find a holster that is right for you.

NO do not take the gun off of your person while driving. This is a very bad idea. Keep the gun on your person at all times, comfort be damned. If you take the gun off and leave it unsecured while driving, it will end up somewhere you can not reach it if you need to take evasive action or have a wreck. You do not want that.

Crossdraw holsters are a good option for driving.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    My rig/belt combo (Defender OWB) .... allows me to shift rig to 3 0'clock when seated and driving - this allows clearance for seat belt and yet I can reach down to draw if need be. I do ensure cover garment is freed up too.

When I leave truck rig goes back to 3.30 plus usually. I admit if I was in a car with wrap-around bucket seats it might be less easy but in my wife's Jetta it still works for me.

It is all down to the chosen combo IMO - and there need not/should not be any major discomfort, as well as there being adequate access. If we are well hot on SA then any situation developing should allow time for a draw.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry IWB with an MTAC but found that I could not easily access my gun - especially as Winter set in. I purchased a Nylon holster w/thumb break that affixes to a Velcro patch at a recent gun show(sorry I do not kjnow the manyfacturer). I put the patch on the side of my car seat (front right). When I am driving, the holster/gun sets there firmly in place right off of my right knee. My van sits high so no one can see the gun down low - though I have put a cloth under my seat to cover it just in case. The thumb break makes sure the gun will not move. I like the setup because I have quicker access to the gun, it won't move, and it is more comfortable than cross carry (which I had been doing in the car).
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

i personally always carry at 3 o clock.
    especially since i have a smaller gun (1911 defender frame),
    the grip is just short enough that it does not hit the seat

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've got a different solution. It costs a bit more, but...... I have my .40 in its holster, setting in my driver's door pocket in the truck (very secure and very accessible) and my 1911 in its holster on my person. Cross draw for driving makes sense, but DO NOT take your firearm off of your person!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I got a Ross holster for Christmas that is designed for driving, but can be used for SOB carry as well. I have a long commute, so this holster gets a lot of use. I'm thrilled with it. Check it out:
    http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23DrivingHolsterPAGE.htm

I am not affiliated with the site, but they were a pleasure to do business with (my wife said so anyway)
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Distinguished Member
    Left-handed, owb @8:00 works fine for me.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I got a Ross holster for Christmas that is designed for driving, but can be used for SOB carry as well. I have a long commute, so this holster gets a lot of use. I'm thrilled with it. Check it out:
    http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23DrivingHolsterPAGE.htm

I am not affiliated with the site, but they were a pleasure to do business with (my wife said so anyway)
    That's pretty sweet. I think I'll get one. Thanks!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links