Trained to focus on the front sight...

This is a discussion on Trained to focus on the front sight... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard it, read it here, and told by my father in law (retired FBI and firearms instructor for the bureau) "Focus on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have heard it, read it here, and told by my father in law (retired FBI and firearms instructor for the bureau) "Focus on the front sight".

Now when I do that, and given my vision correction with contacts the target is a bit more than a blur. Not going to go into details on this, suffice to say it does not work for me.

So you take aim, focusing on the front sight, your intended target is a blur...which way is the target facing? When you committed to using your weapon, the requirements were met but your target is out of focus now. If your target saw the weapon deployed and turned tail to run, you just planted 2 or 3 in the back.

How good is your defense now? The last clear picture you had of the BG he/she was attacking, now there is a body on the ground 5 feet farther away and face down. Is the training you received going to save your butt against the DA?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    If your target is so blurred that you can't tell whether they're coming or going, then they are too far away to be a threat.

21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Have someone with hair color matching their skin color stand at 21 feet and tell me that when you focus on the front sight, you can tell without a doubt that they are facing you or away from you, especially in low light conditions - when you are most likely to get attacked.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I require corrective lenses. Yet when I shoot a 500 yard course of fire with the M16, I have no trouble putting 9 out of 10 in the black with iron sights while focusing on the front sight post- without my lenses.

I had never heard correct sight picture until I enlisted. I wish someone had told me a long time ago. Now I shoot handguns with that training.

I agree with the earlier post. If you can't tell what is going on without focusing on the subject, it is too far away to shoot with a handgun or you have judgment issues.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm not questioning anyones ability to hit the target, only pointing out that a BG with the back of the head resembles the front, be it skin/hair color, ski mask, black hoodie keeping the face in shadow, can most of us here identify if it is the front or the back while focusing on the front sight at the time of commitment to use the weapon - all the requirements were met, you are justified, you are in automatic draw-aim-fire mode that you trained for. Did the BG turn while you were in transition to the front sight.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    I think if you try this ,you will find your eyes rapidly can switch from front sight to target and back. If there was that big of problem with it , LE and military would have adopted a different system of shooting .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I think if you try this ,you will find your eyes rapidly can switch from front sight to target and back. If there was that big of problem with it , LE and military would have adopted a different system of shooting .
    I have tried it, that is why I said it does not work for me. With my vision correction;
    1. It takes too long to focus on the front sight, back out is a little better but still a delay (double vision)
    2. It is border line painful
    3. Yes I can hit the center, but I doubt that I could identify front or back with the above mentioned conditions.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    Sorry, missed that part Sticks. Maybe a check up or try wearing glasses?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If the time it takes to change focus from front sight to target is too long than you have optical issues that cannot be fixed by opticians. My advice to you would be to get out there on the range and practice, practice, practice. Practice when you can take the time to focus on the front sight, and when you do, you will find the gun will begin to go where you want before you get focused. Once you have enough practice, then start shooting with your focus on the target. You may not win any matches, but the bullets will be close enough to ensure your protection from a threat and the threat will be in focus.

I have shot a long time and my marksmanship might improve if I focused on the front sight, but when I shoot IDPA matches I don't slow down to get that perfect sight picture. Not perfect scores, but the holes are in the right place; They are nowhere close to a miss and I have yet to hit the simulated innocent bystander.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

double vision

I too have double vision, so I learned to shoot with one eye closed. I was a perfect shot in the military and my DS turned a blind eye to my incorrect shooting practice. I still hit all in black and a few in the red with one eye closed and I can focus from the target to the front sight with no problem. It might be worth a try to close one eye while shooting if you have double vision, and as someone else said, practice, practice, practice.

TDPalmer

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My presbyopia (old eye) problem is similar; I can see quite well enough to drive, identify threats, and such, but can't focus on my front sight without much longer arms. Sure seems to me like point shooting with laser confirmation would be in order. And practice, practice, practice. Maybe that's the ticket for this situation, too.

Sure, others will do better with proper sighting, but my job is to deal with a threat within 7 yards. And lasers DO slow one down and can be a 'crutch' - hey, folks: these eyes need a crutch, and the laser slowdown is a lot faster than "'Scuse me, please let me put on my reading glasses..."

Dominant eye problem maybe ?

My take on the focus on the front sight is for target and competition shooting not for defensive shooting. In my shooting courses I have had in the police academy when we do our quick shooting, there isn't enough time to find the front sight and do the breathing and slow continous trigger press to the rear. In an idealistic situation you would have time to do that. I believe that you just have to aline your sights and by that time you should have it in your head if you are going to shoot or not. No need to kep your eye on the front sight the entire time because you will not know if the suspect dropped the gun aquired a new device that is threatening or what ever.

My defensive practice (and that is all I do) has been with a quality airsoft (all I can afford to do) and point shooting. I have tried sight alignment, focusing on the front sight and there is too much delay. Point shooting from my holstered carry method with either single arm or traditional double hand grip with the gun just below line of sight nets me 3" groups at 18 feet (all I can get in the garage) in what I hope is at or under 2 seconds to the second shot on the first target of 3.

Precision target shooting with handgun, long gun, or archery I can control eye dominance and get my controlled shots.

Hopefully later this summer, I will be able to take some formal training in defensive handgun shooting. I have just been trying to work in all the methods that I have been reading about here and the front sight thing raises some concern in target identification in less than ideal circumstances.

I am curious if those with more experience can say whether or not they can distinguish front or back in those defensive shooting conditions focusing on the front sight since that seems to be what is commonly taught, and what the ramifications may be in court.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

The vision problem should not be an issue. Few if any see their sights in an up close and personal encounter. Work on your point shooting techniques.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links