Positive Article in Today's Detroit Free Press

Positive Article in Today's Detroit Free Press

This is a discussion on Positive Article in Today's Detroit Free Press within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's about time!!! The Detroit Free Press columnists generally are alot more "liberal" than those of The Detroit News, but in today's shared weekend Sunday ...

Post Positive Article in Today's Detroit Free Press

It's about time!!! The Detroit Free Press columnists generally are alot more "liberal" than those of The Detroit News, but in today's shared weekend Sunday paper, maybe they're starting to see the light.

Go to www.freep.com then click on under More Stories to see an article titled "Michigan sees fewer gun deaths-with more permits"

VIP Member
    It must be some kind of trick!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well, if it is, then it's one in a long, long line of tricks the past 12mos or so. I think the long-term effects of VA.tech and other heinous killings will combine with the general rise in violence to open a lot of eyes. It is good to see traditionally liberal rags starting to give some air time and column space to ratonal thinking.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Great article for a Detriot paper...although the ignorance of the MMM still prevails...
    "Shikha Hamilton of Grosse Pointe, president of the Michigan chapter of the anti-gun group Million Moms March, said she believes overall gun violence (including suicide and accidental shootings) is up in Michigan since 2001. Many incidents involving CCW permit holders have not been widely reported, she said."

Certainly can't confuse Shikha (however you pronounce that?) with the facts...her mind was made up before she heard them...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ..... Many incidents involving CCW permit holders have not been widely reported, she said."[/B]
    I have allways wondered how it is the people know about all these unreported cases?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have allways wondered how it is the people know about all these unreported cases?
    And, if the numbers on CHL-related shootings have been underreported, it's just as likely that actual crimes that aren't CHL-related have also gone underreported. Meaning, it's all worse than we thought, hence it's even more important to responsibly carry, train, prepare, think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Cool. Sent the link to the 89x morning show. One of those guys mentioned on the air how against CCW he is.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Read this article in the paper.... When you have John Lott in one corner and Shikka Hamilton (?) in the other, who doesn't know, but "believes" the opposite of factual data, you have to wonder how these people get by. At least the OVERALL tone was positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Cool. Sent the link to the 89x morning show. One of those guys mentioned on the air how against CCW he is.
    Which guy was it? Dave or Chuck? Looks like I won't be listening to that show anymore......

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post

Which guy was it? Dave or Chuck? Looks like I won't be listening to that show anymore......
    I think it was Dave. I'm not too good at telling people apart on the radio, though. It was the day they had some gun-proponent on. I forget which guy. Here is what I wrote them:

Hi guys,

Just wanted to point to a Free Press article regarding average joes being allowed to carry guns. Turns out that we aren't such a bad group of people. This is, of course, in response to your interview with the gun guy several weeks ago. 1 in 65 Michiganders already have chosen to protect themselves and their families. That means that when you go anywhere, k-mart or your favorite steakhouse, you can pretty well bet that you walk past a number of people that are responsibly armed. We aren't out to get anybody. Really. I just can't stomach the idea of being helpless when I hear one of my children say "Daddy, Help! There is a man trying to take me!"

It's like life insurance, I hope that when I'm 80 years old I look back and think "Man, guns and training were such a huge waste of money." Hopefully none of us ever need insurance of either type, but you don't want to be caught without it. Not for your familys' sake.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Maybe someday the papers will be able to write an article without the obligatory opposing viewpoint. Just state the facts. I'm proud to be a CPL holder in Michigan and personally believe that the state finally got something right.We still have a ways to go.Shitka Hamilton made up her statistics and still got quoted.

Good letter cupcake....probably didn't put a dent in anyone's bias, but the more we talk, someone will hopefully listen.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Maybe someday the papers will be able to write an article without the obligatory opposing viewpoint. Just state the facts.
    Well said....very few articles propose a single viewpoint anymore. Its not PC. And the opposition in this case was just moronic.

VIP Member
    Wow. Never let facts get in the way of your "beliefs" there, Shikha. I believe that the number of defensive gun uses are under-reported...in fact, I believe that 1 billion people per day are saved by their CCW. I should probably be the head of some group based on these beliefs, don't you think?

How do you defend your position when you are proven, incontrovertably, to be wrong? You can believe that the world is flat - but when it is PROVEN to be round, how incredibly stupid do you have to be to continue to believe that it isn't?

Yikes...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think it's rather charming to have the opposition viewpoint highlighted in articles, so long as they always sounds that ridiculous! Intelligent individuals might wonder what the other side has to say otherwise, and if that is the best they can come up with....
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Through their crystal ball.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links