Magazines fully loaded every day...

This is a discussion on Magazines fully loaded every day... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can I keep all my magazines (Beretta an Glock) completly loaded all the time? Does it damage the spring? Thanks....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazines fully loaded every day...

Can I keep all my magazines (Beretta an Glock) completly loaded all the time?
    Does it damage the spring?

Thanks.

I would thing constantly loading and unloading them would cause more wear on the springs

VIP Member
    The general consensus is that it is fine to keep your mags stored fully loaded. What you don't want to do is stretch them out by hand in order to "strengthen" them or get them back into shape - and yes, I've seen folks do this...and then wonder why their mags are screwed up...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

A search of this forum should adequately answer this question. It has been discussed at least a couple of times before.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

My understanding is storing a spring full compressed or fully expanded is OK. Anything in between is a problem.

Loading and unloading is what wears a spring. Keeping it in one state or the other does no damage at all. Movement is what causes metal fatigue.

Keep them loaded. It will not hurt them at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Once a brand new magazine has been fully loaded---the spring will take a set. Once that's happened, it won't set any more. Tension on a spring will fatigue it over time. This is why Glock suggests keeping an unloaded pistol in storage for an extended period of time be kept so with the trigger back (or pulled--dry firing) to relax the tension on the trigger and striker springs. That's why they ship them the way they do. Spring fatigue, and 'taking a set' are different. Over-compression of a spring is not wise. I've kept full magazines, magazines with two rounds short of full, and I rotate them every so often as I see fit. Some of them, I'll even remove the base pads to let the spring extend close to it's original length (minus the original 'set'), and let them remain that way for a couple of days before re-assembling. They make springs these days that supposedly never take a set. Personally, I don't know if they are worth the money. While you probably won't hurt your mags being fully loaded---I'd question the "all the time" part of the equation-----and give them a rest once in a while by using a spare or two.

I've asked Wolff Springs about this a few years back. They said springs don't wear by static state, they wear by compression and relaxation. From the people who know.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The general consensus is that it is fine to keep your mags stored fully loaded. What you don't want to do is stretch them out by hand in order to "strengthen" them or get them back into shape - and yes, I've seen folks do this...and then wonder why their mags are screwed up...
    stretching them only makes them worse. I tried it once after ordering and receiving replacement springs, just to see what would happen.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Do you keep the springs on your car loaded all the time? How often do you replace the springs in the suspension system of you car. The springs in you mags will last a very long time., keep them clean and loaded.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I've asked Wolff Springs about this a few years back. They said springs don't wear by static state, they wear by compression and relaxation. From the people who know.
    I personally use the "one-less-than-full" method, but I find it hard to argue with this statement "from the horse's mouth."

VIP Member
    I've heard both yes it does and no it doesn't... I swap my magazines out every month knowing I probably don't need to!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    With modern springs, only a physical shock, overstretch, rust, or heat will change the spring constant after the initial "set." Recoil, firing pin, and hammer springs need to be replaced following the manufacturer's recommended interval. A magazine or hammer spring in static tension won't deteriorate over the time we will ever use the firearm. That said, I use my carry gun and carry magazines only enough to verify their reliability. On the range I mostly use a steel framed 1911 and range magazines of the same type that I carry. If evidence to the contrary exists, I would change my procedure.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    My understanding is storing a spring full compressed or fully expanded is OK. Anything in between is a problem.
    That is incorrect... The other posters are right; compression cycles fatigue property designed springs, not static compression/tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Tension on a spring will fatigue it over time.
    Do you have a source for that, Ram?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I personally use the "one-less-than-full" method, but I find it hard to argue with this statement "from the horse's mouth."
    I always load full up and only use Wolff springs in all my guns. First thing I do when I buy a gun is change out each and every spring to Wolff springs if they make them for it. Like changing the oil on a car you just bought. Do it so you know it is done and done right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links