In a herd of sheeple....

In a herd of sheeple....

This is a discussion on In a herd of sheeple.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There we were this afternoon at Wally World. God I hate being there. But, we were there none the less. Among approx. 500 other people ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

In a herd of sheeple....

There we were this afternoon at Wally World. God I hate being there.

But, we were there none the less. Among approx. 500 other people in the lines for the check outs. I am always a bit uneasy in crowds and at places like this anyway but as they didn't have enough registers open for the number of people trying to get out of this god forsaken store there was a big bottle neck at the registers.(I know, I know. Don't shop there right? Well, I have no real choice. We have 5 kids and every single penny counts and they have everything cheaper than anyone else)

As my wife is paying for our stuff and I am keeping an eye on the kids and all the sheeple who are in atomic condition white I hear 5 very distinct sharp "Bangs". Could have been gun shots. But, it wasn't. They are doing some remodeling on one of the stores located at the front of the wal_mart store. I saw the sledge hammer raised again and saw it come down and strike a counter that the worker was trying to break loose from the wall.

At this point I realize I am hunched down a bit and I have all 4 of the kids (oldest was at a friends house) behind me. I look over at my wife and she is hunched a bit as well. Both of us subconsciously preparing to drop behind cover and draw if need be while finding the quickest egress with the kids.

So we both realized what the sounds were and straighten back up, smile the smile of the prepared sheep dog at each other and it is then I realize that no one else in the store is even trying to figure out what the sound was! Not one of the stupid sheeple were even concerned with several possible gunshots coming from the front of a packed store they were in! Amazing.

My wife and I still can't believe how oblivious most people are in their every day lives. It's no wonder that when they are attacked they always tell the police that the bad guys came out of nowhere. They didn't come out of nowhere. They are just too stupid to even be aware of their surroundings.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    You aren't going to believe this, but I started to write about the same thing last night and decided against it.
    I went to Walmart to get some printer ink and noticed exactly the same thing that you did. Atomic Condition White. There wasn't a person that I could see that even looked around to see what was going on. I stood behind a family of 8 and one kid was laying on the floor asleep. His parents were letting him do that and they didn't bother waking him until they had their cart filled up. I had to step over the kid. That ticked me off.

Then, the cash register attendant couldn't answer a simple question, and didn't care one way or the other.Acted like I was bothering her by going though her line. If that wasn't bad enough, a mixed race couple were swapping spit right behind me making spectacles of themselves and thinking it was cute. That also annoyed me.

So, I finally get out of that place, and I cant even pull out of my spot for the likes of 20 somethings standing around doing nothing. Eventually they move enough for me to back out, I pull out into the lane in front of the store, and I swear, not one single person bothered to look right or left to look for on coming traffic. I guess those diagonal lines mean that you wont get run over.

One kid in a conversation with his girlfriend walked longways down the street, totally oblivious to the fact, or maybe they didn't care or something, that they were holding up most of the traffic in the whole parking lot.

The sheep are everywhere. We are raising up a nation of cannon fodder types and we are screwed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The sheep are everywhere. We are raising up a nation of cannon fodder types and we are screwed.
    I agree with you there. I get discouraged sometimes... and then I see pictures of our young soldiers willingly laying their lives on the line. That gives me some hope. But yeh, lots of cannon fodder around.

VIP Member
    I agree with the concerns all of you have...but I wonder if it really has ever been any different? Has there ever really been a time in human history when there has ever been a lower percentage of than there are now? Possibly...but significantly higher? I just don't know. All any of us can do is stay as alert as possible for "us and ours," and pray for the rest that nothing too terrible befalls.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Hunter-gatherer days. When daily life included the occasional mastodon and saber-toothed tiger, I think the world was much less hospitable to Condition White.

But...since the advent of something vaguely resembling society, no, probably always have been and will be blissfully unaware people. Personally, I don't care if somebody else can't watch out for himself. It just annoys me when they get in my way because they don't even notice I am there!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Hunter-gatherer days. When daily life included the occasional mastodon and saber-toothed tiger, I think the world was much less hospitable to Condition White.
    Agree...but a long time ago.

Wal-Mart+people=Disaster
    My girlfriend used to shop there. When we stared going out, and she wanted to take me shopping, I put my foot down. I don't care if it costs me 10% more, I will never step foot in that Chinese manufacturing, Illegal-Immigrant overrun place in my life! Whose hundreds of kids are all those anyway?

I actually like having all the sheep around. The more sheep there are, the lesser the chances are that I will have to worry. Being the one doing my impression of Linda Blair, I hope to see something before it happens. Sheep make great bullet catchers. All I have to do is get as many of them between me and mine and the problem as I can as quickly as possible.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    I actually like having all the sheep around. The more sheep there are, the lesser the chances are that I will have to worry. Being the one doing my impression of Linda Blair, I hope to see something before it happens. Sheep make great bullet catchers. All I have to do is get as many of them between me and mine and the problem as I can as quickly as possible.
    Very interesting point. I had not considered that.

I like your thinking.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    on the other hand...
    a herd of scared sheep will run you over and trample you if scared.Running though the panicked masses would be like swimming upstream if you had to get out quick.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Unfortunately there are a lot of people who would fall in to the category of "sheep".

On the flip side of that coin, most of us were once "sheep" too. Lest we become too self righteous, not all "sheep" are "sheep" by choice.

Those who deliberately choose to be a "sheep", living their lives in denial of the truth they have been shown get little pity from me.

But those who have been literally brainwashed to believe bad things won't happen to them and the Police and society are there to keep them safe do.

Maybe it's just me, but I do not think it's right to generalize too much. I remember a phrase my grandmother always said... "but for the grace of God, there go I".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    You're right Thumper. We shouldnt generalize.

But I'd be tickled pink if just ONE of them in the masses acted like there was more to the world than the little 18" circle that they're standing in.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

We have been blessed with a society that does not think in terms of danger. In fact, it is so rare that people are stunned when it happens in front of them. No one wonders about a skinny-faced fellow with a large vest, we write it off as a thyroid problem. Or loud noises as anything but a machine used in demolition.
    I do carry and stay in condition yellow, but the reason I do not leave the US is because no one around me thinks anything but atomic white is 'normal'.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Several years ago I came to a simple conclusion about crowds. The more people you have crammed into an area, the less anyone is aware of other peoples presence. I find this especially true in shopping situations.

Administrator
    I dunno guys, to me sheep would jumpy around loud noises, but a sheep dog would have expected loud noises because he had been doing his job and noticed construction going on nearby.

Sorry, I just had to stir the pot a little.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links