Hunter unintentionally fired into my home

This is a discussion on Hunter unintentionally fired into my home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll describe what happened and you tell me if you think I did the right thing. I was sitting on the bed in my home ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunter unintentionally fired into my home

I'll describe what happened and you tell me if you think I did the right thing.

I was sitting on the bed in my home using the telephone about 3:25 P.M. one day a week and a half ago, during the hoidays. There was a noise and I saw a puff of smoke about 12 feet away at a window. I first thought something electronic like a wall transformer or my UPS had exploded. When I realized what really happened my wife was coming in the room and I told her to wait in the hallway. I went out on the porch outside the bedroom and saw the broken window and was sure it was from a bullet.

I ran down the porch steps toward the back of the property. We have almost 5 acres and are surrounded by hay fields. The hay fields are separated by single lines of trees, primarily cedar. I was yelling for any hunters out there to stop firing and to come out and show themselves. I was out there quickly enough to see a deer running away from my property. To keep this related to the purposes of the forum, I carry whenever I'm awake and not at work (prohibited there.) I was armed, open carry at home, and very soon the hunter came out of the tree line about 350 yards away. I was still shouting and asked if he had a weapon - he said he did and I ordered him to put it down. He unloaded it and put it down the second time I demanded it.

Meanwhile my wife had called 911 and it only took about 30 minutes for the deputies to arrive out here in the boonies. While we waited, the hunter denied his shot could have hit my house. Then I showed him the broken window and we went inside to find where the bullet had gone. It lodged in the door of the wife's antique pie safe next to the window. The bullet had penetrated the screen, the double pane window (the puff of "smoke" I saw must have been the inert gas between the panes), the woven wood blinds and the curtain. It also passed right over my wife's sewing machine; glad she wasn't using that. The hunter got real pale and shaky; I thought he might actually faint.

After investigation, game wardens determined the bullet ricochetted off a small branch. But they believe it would have hit the house anyway, just a little lower due to arc. It appeared he may have tracked the deer through the scope and didn't realize his aim was in line with my house.

Some have thought I shouldn't have gone out to stop or confront the hunter(s), not knowing how many or what kind of people they might be. Maybe they're right. But I was armed and this guy turned out to be a reasonable, responsible person who accepted that he'd made a very serious mistake. Sadly, he'll likely be charged with reckless handling and at the very least lose his hunting rights for some years.

Now I'll sit back and listen to your opinions.

Rick
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Well, it seems like this man not only was discharging a firearm dangerously (case in point) close to your house,and using your land without your authorization!?!?!?!

I'm glad your okay,and it seems like confronting him turned out for the good. It doesn't seem like you had many other options considering you stated it took 30 minutes for LEOs to respond,had the hunter not been stopped,its very plausible more damage/shots could have been fired,and hit your home ,potentially endangering you/yours even more.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I personally think they would be going easy on him. That situation could have turned out really really badly! I think that walking out to confront someone that has a high powered weapon, bad idea. Though I probably would do the same thing, especially if you have had hunters near your property before. He is lucky you were a responsible person and did not return fire.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    He is lucky you were a responsible person and did not return fire.
    Too true,I didn't even think about that aspect.

On second thought,I'd advise investing in "No hunting" and "no trespassing" signs for your property.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

me
    If you did not go out then you run the risk of being shot inside if you did you ran the risk of shot outside. bad situation either way. I would have done likewise as it is better to stop the shooting
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Administrator
    Wow. Scary story. I think you did what anybody would have done.

Pistol on my hip or not, I dont think I would want to get into a gun fight with someone who has a hunting rifle at 350 yds...
    "Just blame Sixto"

You're alive to tell the tale and you're probably going to get your window replaced free - so in that light you did the right thing.

Hard call though. It could have been multiple drunken "BGs" shooting cans and crap in the fields near your house, and could have ended badly if you confronted them.
    On the other hand, waiting for the LEO's to come and deal with them would probably have meant letting them escape, and eating the cost of the window, etc... yourself.

I think I would have done what you did, but stayed behind cover (not just concealment) while addressing them until they were disarmed.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

You didn't say what you were armed with, but a 350 yard shot with any pistol would've made great news!

I despise idiots period. Sue for damages. Oh---by the way--what were you armed with? I wouldn't consider myself armed at all if I had a pistol, and the opposing team had a high power rifle at 350 yards away. Know what I mean? All in all, a real bad deal---lucky you're telling us about it instead of in a coma or dead. Likely the hunter saw the house, but would rather have taken the deer. Just think if this had happened when you weren't home. You'd discover a broken window and go ape like I would, and the FBI and everybody that carried a badge would be involved----right? I wouldn't regret anything that happens to this guy concerning his hunting privileges or anything else----that's not your concern now---getting the damage fixed is.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 7th, 2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround

At 350 yds., was he on your property? You stated that you have almost 5 acres. Is the surrounding land posted? Glad everyone is safe. As far as whether you made the right call, I can't say. Really doesn't matter what I think. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Write a letter to the prosecutor handling your case and inform him of how you want the case handled.

Then sue the idiot for damages if he does not pay willingly.

Oh, and have a rifle on hand for such occasions. If you can buy one in your area, an AK is good. Cheap, large magazine, enough umph to reach out and crush someone.

Lead Moderator
    I probably would have grabbed a rifle before heading out if I figured it was a hunter. Also hard cover would have been ideal outside. I doubt the hunter realized your house was in his line of fire, buck fever can give hunters tunnel vision.
    Glad he was a responsible enough guy to admit his mistake and come forward.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I only had a pistol with me, and

The hunter wasn't on my property, he was on adajacent property and had permission to hunt there. I was convinced the only option was to stop the shooting by whoever was out there.

I'm not a hunter and my only long guns are a .22LR and a Savage Model 24 .30-30/20 gauge combo gun.

The Savage has a broken trigger guard right now. I wonder what genius designed that model with a plastic trigger guard! I have just found a posting somehwere else where a guy showed a brass trigger guard on a model 24. He had it made by a machinist friend who owed him a favor.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

HKR
    I see nothing wrong with the way you handled the situation. Sorry it happened, glad everyone is okay. I hunt and support responsible hunting which means that you know what is behind the game animal you are shooting at or you don't shoot.Period.

VIP Member
    I guess it's good that deer season ended yesterday!

There is no excuse for a hunter to not know what is in his line of fire. He /she should know where every dwelling is near where they are hunting!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links