Official police responce time breakdown

This is a discussion on Official police responce time breakdown within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; stumbled across this. check it out and discuss http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf...nt/cv05107.pdf...

Thread: Official police responce time breakdown

stumbled across this. check it out and discuss
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf...nt/cv05107.pdf

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    So who here is surprised? To sum it up:

When seconds count, the police will be here in minutes.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Thank you! I love statistics.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

So, 60% of the time for viloent crimes, they will get there between 6 minutes and an hour. Very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    So, 60% of the time for viloent crimes, they will get there between 6 minutes and an hour. Very encouraging.
    It should be enlightening if anything. This issue first came to my attention after reading the book "Dial 911 and Die". If you rely on the police to save you, you may be out of luck, as many have found out the hard way. It's not that they don't want to or won't try... it's that they're spread thin in a lot of areas.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    That's why you got to take care of your self first.

Excellent post!

BTW the base URL for this document at the DoJ Bureau of Statistics site is;
    "Criminal Victimization in the United States - Statistical Tables Index"
    Table 107: Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, by police response time and type of crime
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstrac..._victim156.htm

I love this site.
    Unlike any other be it 2A or anti the information as presented is the closest to factual as anyone is ever going to get. And it's not compiled nor sifted through by persons and groups with an agenda such as Brady or NRA or bias such as so called studies presented in so called higher thinking media such as the New England Journal of Medicine which amongst others of same are well known to have bias within it's review process toward what is approved for publication.

The bottom line is what it is as based on results rather than assumptions or supposition or wishes of "It won't happen to me"and "I live in a nice neighborhood" or "Nothing like that has ever happened to me or anyone I know ".

Note that toward as indicated "Property Crimes" response time is the lowest overall with amongst that "Household Burglary" and "Motor Vehicle Theft" having respectively a 51.7% and 43.7% response time of 11 minutes to 1 hour (!).
    Further note that "Crimes of violence includes data on rape and sexual assault, not shown separately".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The less than 5 minutes can be misleading. If it takes the LEOs between seven seconds and five minutes to get there, you have some work to do on your own.

In other words, if you've already called the police, you better have a serious plan, or your going out in a bag.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Make sure you hang out alot in donut shops, I know I do... always a cop around.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

VIP Member
    Reminds me of someone's signature...

"When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I live in the city limits and any time I've had to call they are here within a couple minutes. In my community I've always felt they were tremendous in their service. I am, of course armed and have the cc permit and can hopefully contribute to my own protection.

My experience

I live in a reasonably rural area in a town with a population of around 12,000.
    I live 7-10 minutes south/east of town, on a well-traveled road.

I've had occasion to call the police twice (for trespassing), and had my () neighbors call the police on me for firing my potato cannon (see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=38713 ). All ended well (in fact the Sheriff ended up shooting my cannon once or twice).

Their average response time has been in the mid-40 minute range, with a "best time" of 38 minutes. I've come to accept that, out here at least, 911 really is dial-a-prayer.

I expect it would be better in a city. It would be interesting to see some statistics that broke down response time by distance from major city. And also a breakdown of where more home invasions occur, in urban areas or rural areas.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Assistant Administrator
    Always strikes me that - unless someone calls in and has by shere happenstance a unit ''round the corner'' - and so almost on the spot, the system cannot possibly work miracles and often that from an over-stretched department too.

I keep trying to explain to the doubters - the ones who still place all reliance on LE - that even if they are lucky to have a response time of a mere two minutes, an awful lot can happen in that short time - the time when our well being and protection is down to - yes ... US and us alone.

Try getting that thru some thick heads tho The cops are not miracle workers and neither should we expect them to be.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links