Traveling Armed to the USA

This is a discussion on Traveling Armed to the USA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello people... Im wondering if anyone on here can help me out with some good information. This may I will be visiting the USA to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Armed to the USA

Traveling Armed to the USA

Hello people...

Im wondering if anyone on here can help me out with some good information.
    This may I will be visiting the USA to take part in a Law Enforcement seminar in West Virginia, and My Glock 19 is coming with me along with a whole pile of other junk.
    Now I have a permit from the ATF to allow me bring al my crap with me, But when I try and get information from police and district attorneys offices about carrying firearms, they cant tell me anything.
    I flying from Dublin to New York, then from there to Pittsburgh. From there I have to travel to West Virginia. After a week or so I go back to Pittsburgh and on to Spokane Washington, and a week after that back to new York before leaving the USA.

Now going through so many different states, who can I ask for information about how and where and when I can carry?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

2. Remove Ads

I just looked and the state department website states that the ATF issues permits to bring firearms into this county. Since you have that permit, I would presume that only allows you to transport your firearm, not carry it on your person loaded.

Unless you get a letter from a Federal Agency conducting the seminar authorizing you to carry with your credentials while in this county I would not.

http://www.travel.state.gov/

If you have a permit to carry a firearm in Ireland, then you can carry in Indiana!!! We accept "all" permits from other states as well as other countries.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by irish_ironsight View Post
    Hello people...

Im wondering if anyone on here can help me out with some good information.
    This may I will be visiting the USA to take part in a Law Enforcement seminar in West Virginia, and My Glock 19 is coming with me along with a whole pile of other junk.
    Now I have a permit from the ATF to allow me bring al my crap with me, But when I try and get information from police and district attorneys offices about carrying firearms, they cant tell me anything.
    I flying from Dublin to New York, then from there to Pittsburgh. From there I have to travel to West Virginia. After a week or so I go back to Pittsburgh and on to Spokane Washington, and a week after that back to new York before leaving the USA.

Now going through so many different states, who can I ask for information about how and where and when I can carry?

I just spoke with a BATFE agent about your question. This is not to say that all agents know everything about everything the BATFE does, everywhere it does it.

He seemed to think that you would be unable to carry your gun anywhere in the U.S. In fact, the thought it was weird that you had something from them about bringing your Glock into the U.S. in the first place. Of course, his job is mostly running down some really nasty fellons in possession of firearms, etc. not foreign LEOs coming to the U.S.

In my humble opinion, I think you need to deal with whoever is sponsoring your event rather than a bunch of guys on the Internet, as helpful as we may try to be.

Enjoy your trip.

so far, so good

So far these seem like good answers.

It appears to me that nobody in any position of authority is willing to make any statement that could possibly come back to bite them at a later stage. So its nice to hear your opinions on the subject.
    please keep up the good work.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Greetings Irish! Distant roots in Donegal here. Check with your sponsor, but generally, if you have your Glock buried in your luggage, unloaded and in the trunk of the vehicle, you shouldn't have any problems. Someone already posted a link to handgunlaws.com. Check that, check with your sponsors and go from there. Advanced welcome to the USA!!!!!!!!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Welcome to the USA from a LEO. Enjoy your training. Assuming that this is a Govt sanctioned training mission, you should be able to have a G19 or something along that line provided for you at the training site. I had an LEO from West Yorkshire PD in the UK come over to train with my group. We found it much easier to have him use our weapons that to try to bring his own. If you are training with a Federal Agency at their facility, they can make the arrangements for you before you travel.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

usacarry.com:
    Notes:
    -Indiana recognizes handgun carry permits from every state and foreign country, but only as long as the person holding the permit is not a resident of Indiana.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

We have illegal Mexicans carrying illegally all over the place here. Seems funny that a law abiding guest heading to an approved training site should have to worry!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    We have illegal Mexicans carrying illegally all over the place here. Seems funny that a law abiding guest heading to an approved training site should have to worry!
    Lets just say I'd look and feel pretty dammed stupid, getting arrested and locked up in a county jail for trying to abide by the Law. Hey being that I'm a serving officer, I might get a job as a trustee .... or a cell with a view of the river .

Looks like you're carrying a common weapon...how about just borrowing or renting the same model at the range?

Ummmm........do you HAVE to fly to New York?? Can't you fly into Washington Dulles (in Virginia) or Washington National (also in Virginia)...NY cops are afraid of American cops with guns (from out of state)--you'll confuse them and end up in handcuffs.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    So the key question is is your luggage going to be checked to Pittsburgh? I assume that since NY is your initial port of entry you will have to claim your luggage and recheck it on a domestic flight. That puts you in possession of a handgun, which is a bad thing in NY. I don't know if the ATF letter covers allowing you to possess the handgun in the airport in NY. That is the crucial part of your journey as I see it. Both ways of course.

You really need to get clarification on that NY part of your trip. If you can avoid NY that would be better. Washington Dulles may be an option. I would not go into BWI (Baltimore Washington International) as that is in Maryland.

Best of luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Checked luggage is an separate issue inside the US. Just declare it, they might want to check compliance. Don't let them put one of those "Firearms" stickers on your suitcase!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links