B.G. First Aid

This is a discussion on B.G. First Aid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went in to the Docter today. He's a "gun Person" and has his ccw permit. Somewhere during my visit, we got on the point ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: B.G. First Aid

B.G. First Aid

I went in to the Docter today. He's a "gun Person" and has his ccw permit. Somewhere during my visit, we got on the point of first aid. We discussed wound treatment for yourself after being shot, bandages and usage of pressure on wounds. Then the Doc. asked me a question, "What are you willing to do for the B.G. after you shoot him?" That's never crossed my mind before. So, what will you do for the B.G., after the threat has been stopped?
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

2. Remove Ads

Assuming it was a legal shoot (I had good legal and moral justification to be pulling the trigger) To loosely quote Sixto, I would offer him some words of encouragement about going into the light/warmth.

If I'm positive it was a legally justified shoot... I'm not doing jack squat to help the guy come back for revenge later. The only reason I'd even consider it is to make my case look better in court, but something tells me in the adrenaline rush of the aftermath of a self defense shooting, I'm not going to be thinking about that.

Just my opinion. I know, I'm a cold-hearted *******.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

If I've done my part-----medical attention is not going to help the BG. I might dial 911 for that person just for the record. That's about the extent of things.

Call 911.

Do you really want to take the risk of him grabbing you and possibly doing harm while you are trying to help. not to mention how are you going to have your gun? In the holster? Can he grab it and shoot you with it after you've already dropped him? maybe he has a knife as well and stabs you while you are bending over helping. Remember, if you've had to shoot him, he has already proven his desire to harm you.

I'll tell the 911 operator that medical help is needed along with LE. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Call 911.

Do you really want to take the risk of him grabbing you and possibly doing harm while you are trying to help. not to mention how are you going to have your gun? In the holster? Can he grab it and shoot you with it after you've already dropped him? maybe he has a knife as well and stabs you while you are bending over helping. Remember, if you've had to shoot him, he has already proven his desire to harm you.
    I agree completely - was just thinking this through farther, and realized, giving the BG first aid could expose you to infectious diseases. I'm not getting near his bloody mess of a body. The coroner can deal with that. And considering the 40+ minute response time out here, there's a very good chance he will have bled out by the time help arrives.
    Bad victim selection on the BG's part. The fence, "No Trespassing" and "No Soliciting" signs, 400w halogen floodlights, and deadbolts should have been a clue to him...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

To stay legally safe, I would absoulutly give him the best care that I could give him. If you're able to keep him alive enjoy knowing he'll be with bubba in prison.

This person has just threatened my life and made it necessary for me to draw my weapon and shoot. He gets nothing further from me but a 911 call. Let the paramedics do what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by state6three8 View Post
    To stay legally safe, I would absolutely give him the best care that I could give him. If you're able to keep him alive enjoy knowing he'll be with bubba in prison.
    I seem to remember a similar thread here before where we discussed this and determined that, in most states anyway, you have absolutely zero obligation to give medical attention to someone you just (legally) shot. The only "legally safe" part about doing so would be the jury's opinion of it - I would guess that most juries would look favorably on it, but on the other hand, some screwed up DA could spin it as you "feeling guilty about having shot this man", and you were "trying to take it back".

Sure he might be sharing a cell with Bubba, but for how many years? What happens when he gets out?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

VIP Member
    Him needing first aid is assuming I'm out of ammunition?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm not a coroner, therefor I can't help.
    Seriously, the threat isn't over until LEO is on scene so I will call 911 and watch my back. If someone wants to help the guy with first aid I will give them all the knowledge I have but I won't holster my weapon until I see blue lights.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Unlike your doctor I'm not a doctor and thus not bound by an oath to aid and assist. Nor am I an EMT or even first aid certified. I am not a person qualified (by current certs. and establishment to be providing medical aid, assistance, or consultation of any sort to anyone.
    As a person involved in a shooting I am a victim, even as I might be physically unscathed emotionally my ability to make judgment, recall critical information, and hold a steady hand toward triage of a 'patient' which very likely could include restraint if not detention of said patient. Just as an EMT, police, and/or hospital would have to deal with and be better equipped to do so by practice and law.

I'll offer the BG my best which would be to seek out a means to alert law enforcement of the event to which I as a victim have been victimized and he as an attacker have been stopped, and as a result of that stoppage has sustained injury(s) of some degree. I would request that they come quickly and send an EMT to care for both myself, the victim, and to themselves aid the BG in care of his own injuries.

That is what I'd most likely do and say to police, EMT, my attorney, and any judge or jury.
    To the BG though I would say nothing at all other than; "STOP!! I DON"T WANT TO HURT YOU!!". After that what more is there to say?
    It'd be all over but the crying.

- Janq

P.S. - Several days ago with the case of the guy with the 16 yr. old GF who got gut shot he fought back against the care taking person who shot him, forcing the guy to further fight and by luck was able to retain his weapon and shoot the guy twice more to finally stop him. No thanks, I'd rather dance with my wife and kids than some wounded angry animal.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by sourmash View Post
    Then the Doc. asked me a question, "What are you willing to do for the B.G. after you shoot him?" That's never crossed my mind before. So, what will you do for the B.G., after the threat has been stopped?
    In short, nothing. As you have no "duty and obligation," if the BG was not dead when you approach him/her, but is when LE arrives, you could easily find yourself trying to prove you didn't murder the helpless soul you had just "disabled." (As the BG's homies and friends from the 'hood will swear...) We all have free-will here, but I would strongly urge you to occupy yourself otherwise, if you find yourself in that situation.

Ex-EMT/Corrections Officer- neither profession requires you to render aid to someone you feel was trying to kill you, after you have forcibly stopped the assault.

Call 911, if you haven't already. Nothing else!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I will do nothing.

I will call the cops and let them deal with the bad guy. Hell, the BG probably has AIDs or the HEP or even the HERP.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links