Help! LA making it impossible to obey law

Help! LA making it impossible to obey law

This is a discussion on Help! LA making it impossible to obey law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, I would greatly appreciate some advice, because I'm frustrated as hell right now. All because I'm trying to obey the law!!! Sorry for the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Help! LA making it impossible to obey law

Folks, I would greatly appreciate some advice, because I'm frustrated as hell right now. All because I'm trying to obey the law!!! Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help.

note: LA = Louisiana

- According to LRS 14:95.6A it is illegal for me to
    conceal carry a handgun outside of my vehicle within 1000 feet of a
    state, private, or commercial educational institution's campus, known as the
    "Firearm-Free Zone".

- According to LRS 14:95.6D maps of all Firearm-Free
    Zones in a parish shall be located in the clerk of court's office and
    available to the public.

- Furthermore, LRS 14:95.2E states that "Lack of
    knowledge that the prohibited act [carrying a handgun] occurred on or within
    one thousand feet of school property shall not be a defense."

I went to the clerk of court's main office, hoping to obtain a copy of the map to keep in my truck to refer to as I run errands and such around the city.
    Even though the clerk of court at first firmly denied ("in my 30 years of working here I've never heard of that") that such a map existed, after I cited LRS 14:95.6D they finally located
    it. They informed me, however, that due to the map's
    level of zoom a copy would cost me $335. It was a 115 page 17" x 24" document that WAS NOT ORGANIZED.
    (Read: Needed to flip though all 115 pages every few blocks.) UNSAT. They referred me to the local Sheriff's Office for further assistance.

Sheriff's Office at first told me that such a law did not exist
    and would be "absurd" if it did. They stated that it was legal
    for me to carry as long as I did not enter school property. After
    pressing the issue, they confirmed that it is indeed illegal for me to
    carry within 1000'. They could not provide me with any type of map.

I did get to see portions of the map at the clerk of
    court's office and I am even more concerned now about breaking the
    law. Even though I have the situational awareness to stay away from
    schools that I see, my city is absolutely littered with hundreds of
    places such as driving schools, nurseries, and computer tutors that
    all have a 1000' perimeter around them and obviously are not marked with Firearm-Free Zone signs (even though LRS 14:95.6E states that they should be).

In some areas, these perimeters overlap each other and cover large sections of the city.

So how in the heck am I supposed to avoid these zones if they are not marked with signs and the Clerk of Court, Sheriff, and State Police (issuing authority) cannot provide me with a map?!??!?!

Thank you for any advice that you can provide!
    Last edited by wildblue; January 8th, 2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: I'm in LA not L.A. it happens :)

Here's my advice:

Move to Mississippi!

VIP Member
    Time to contact your legislators........they are the only ones who can fix this!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Time to contact your legislators........they are the only ones who can fix this!
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. Take it to a higher level.

Document the case as best you can and contact everyone relevant - from your mayor to your congressperson.

In the mean time, do your best to avoid the gun free zones.
    Just make sure you don't stir up any trouble - concealed is concealed. I'm not advocating carrying where you shouldn't, but with laws like that tangled mess, it's the best you can do right now. Do your best to obey the laws and try hard not to give the local LEO's a reason to search you.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope that your local mayor or governor or maybe chief of police will respond to you and help you figure it out. Cali does have some pretty strict (read: ridiculous) gun laws...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I'm picturing the layout of Phoenix. It'd be damn hard to stay more than 1000 feet away no matter where you went!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm picturing the layout of Phoenix. It'd be damn hard to stay more than 1000 feet away no matter where you went!
    At least Arizona makes exception for permit holders. If not I'd be hard pressed to leave the house legally.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member
    I live in Louisiana too, and this concerns me along with my curiosity. I found the following regarding school zones in Louisiana. As I interpret this, it does specify 1000 feet away from a school zone, but an exception is a gun in your car or home that happens to be within the 1000 foot zone (note: B 4 & 5 below). So living nearby or driving through the 1000 foot zone should be okay, walking through it with a gun would not be okay? Personally I think it should be changed but that's the best we have right now.

95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement building.

(2) A military base.

(3) A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed security.

(4) Private premises where a firearm is kept pursuant to law.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

C. For purposes of this Section:

(1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

(3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

D. The local governing authority which has jurisdiction over zoning matters in which each firearm-free zone is located shall publish a map clearly indicating the boundaries of each firearm-free zone in accordance with the specifications in Subsection A. The firearm-free zone map shall be made an official public document and placed with the clerk of court for the parish or parishes in which the firearm-free zone is located.

E. The state superintendent of education, with the approval of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, and the commissioner of higher education, with the approval of the Board of Regents, shall develop a method by which to mark firearm-free zones, including the use of signs or other markings suitable to the situation. Signs or other markings shall be located in a visible manner on or near each school and on and in each school bus indicating that such area is a firearm-free zone and that such zone extends to one thousand feet from the boundary of school property. The state Department of Education shall assist each approved school with the posting of notice as required in this Subsection.

F.(1) It is unlawful for any person to cover, remove, deface, alter, or destroy any sign or other marking identifying a firearm-free zone as provided in this Section.

(2) Whoever violates the provisions of this Subsection shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I wish I had a magic answer for ya. Try to get it changed is the best anyone can do.
    Makes me appreciate living in Ky.

texas & louisiana have reciprocity on concealed carry. texas allows cc on campus as long as you dont leave your car. if you must get out, secure weapon in the car befor driving onto campus. also any place that doesnot allow cc is supposed to be marked with a very visible sign. although most places dont have the proper sign. be careful, be safe.

BTW, that 1000 feet is "As the crow flies".

So even if you don't see the "Firearm free zone" you may still be in violation of the regulation.

Short of having a map, it would take a registered land surveyor to tell you if you're in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    texas & louisiana have reciprocity on concealed carry. texas allows cc on campus as long as you dont leave your car. if you must get out, secure weapon in the car befor driving onto campus. also any place that doesnot allow cc is supposed to be marked with a very visible sign. although most places dont have the proper sign. be careful, be safe.
    Not exactly, if you have a CHL in Texas you cannot carry on the premises of a school which means inside the building. You also cannot carry on school grounds if a school sponsored event is taking place on those grounds. Carry in the parking lot is ok if no school sponsored event taking place on the school grounds.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    Stop it! Stop it! Yer killin' me!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    What if you live within 1000' of a school?You have to sell the guns?

That 1000' of a school zone is an old federal gun-free zone crap. Colorado elected to not enforce or sponsor it. In Colorado as long as it is in your vehicle you're GTG. Utah is even better they allow carry in schools with a CCW. Bth states are under that old Federal Gun FreeDrug Free Zone. It was assumed that if you had a gun within 1000' of a school you were up to no good. This was before any state had CCW laws (except maybe FL).

Im not sure why LA is still talkng about it.

eww
    Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Here's my advice:

Move to Mississippi!

I second that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links