Diversionary/distractive ploys.

This is a discussion on Diversionary/distractive ploys. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This comes up in threads here and there - but thought I'd have a thread devoted to it. Much has been discussed, and thought about ...

Assistant Administrator

This comes up in threads here and there - but thought I'd have a thread devoted to it.

Much has been discussed, and thought about in this regard. We are probably all - if faced with the ultimate situation - gonna be wanting to gain time. That will be measured in milli seconds most likely.!

The ''shout'' seems useful, as does throwing a wallet on the floor. In fact anything sudden, unexpected and loud could just extend our time envelope, the better to achieve a draw and act. Others would add with a shout - a rapid move to side during a draw - in fact anything that either startles the BG and or distracts him.

So - let's have your thoughts my esteemed CCW's.??
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I know it is gonna sound silly, but I think that a suddenly scared face with the old "Oh shut! Behind you!" works. I know I keep using it among friends and they fall for it. Then again it we are not in a tense situation.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator

Just F.Y.I.

"Your Shoelace Is Untied" and
    "Your Zipper Is Down" probably won't work.

Lead Moderator
    show em yer war face! ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I think there's a lot of things that have a decent chance of working. Throw some sand, gravel, or pocket-change. Flick your cigarette at them or toss your sun-glasses. Shine a flashlight in their eyes. We all know about reaction time. All you're trying to do is buy that split-second to start your draw and move off-line.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    show em yer war face! ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    "You don't scare me private Pyle..." (sorry, couldn't resist )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Assistant Administrator
    Matt - doncha mean - ''Look here maggot!"

Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    In my Advanced Tactica Pistol class at Gunsite, they talked about that very thing. They said you have to say something that just befuddles (that a word???) the BG. They taught that it needs to be something senseless, because it will cause the BG's mind to stall while he tries to process the words and analyze it.

One phrase that was suggested was "Put your finger in your ear!" It doesn't sound like much, but when he said it to us, drew his gun and similtaneously stepped off the line of attack, he had us before we could respond. I was literally stalled thinking, "What'd he say?" The senseless phrase kinda freezes the mind for a second or so. A second is a long time in a gunfight!

For a hostage situation where the BG has a gun pointed at the hostage, and I see I have to shoot, I figure anything I can do to distract the BG and get the gun pointed away from the hostage, gives the hostage a better chance of survival. Sooo, I came up with this, and a buddy of mine had an opportunity to use it at Gunsite in a simulator.

The tactic is to ask the BG to lower the knife - yeah, I know, he has a gun. No matter what he says, if he hasn't moved the gun away from the hostage then say, "Just move the knife away just a little, we don't want to have an accident." No matter what he says, if he doesn't move the gun, keep talking about the knife. I'm keeping this phrase in mind, "Hey, I may be old, and can't see that good anymore, but I can still recognize a blade when I see it." The goal is to get him so upset that he'll move the gun to show you it's a gun. If/when he does, put one in his head. Plus the "innocent" verbal exchange gives the impression that the two of you are talking and negotiating. Of course, your'e not negotiating you are manipulating and controlling him. Kinda lulling him to sleep.

At Gunsite, the instructor verbalized for the BG, which was a graphic of a man holding a gun on a woman. My buddy ran the ruse on the instructor and when the "BG", began his rant about "This ain't no !@#$! knife, it's a..." my buddy interrupted his train of thought with a [b/BANG[/b] between the eyes. After the drill, the instructor said, "Didn't you see that he had a gun?". My buddy said, "Yep."

Distraction works! May not be ideal, but it's better than proceeding with their full attention on you.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I always think if someone is trying to rob a place I am in I would fain fear and say "Don't hurt me, I have money, here have my money" and then pull my keltec .380 from my front pocket and double tap to the chest.

Re: Diversionary/distractive ploys.

The use of deception is a topic a technique I teach all of my students.

While the exact technique to employ will be directly related to the type and location (as well as other considerations) of the attack, one method is to immediatly fain injury or emotional hysterics.

An example of this action is found in the following excerpt from my book entitled: Welcome to the Real World, A Dangerous Place to be Caught Unprepared!

Excerpt original location: www.wttrw.com

Tips for winning a violent confrontation

In order to win in a violent conflict, it is critical that the following principles be observed; for failure to do so can, and often will, lead to injury or even death.

Your opponent is at least as skilled as you are. By taking this position, you will not become overly confident and will be less likely to make a mistake which could cost you your life.

Do not lose your self-control and allow yourself to make foolish mistakes. You must focus on the task at hand as if your life depends upon it, because it does. As in any confrontation, whether it is physical or verbal, the moment composure is lost, the battle is lost. In the words of Sun Tzu: "The General, unable to control his irritation, will launch his men to the assault like swarming ants, with the result of one-third being slain, while the town still remains untaken." Your goal is to remain calm and focused so that if anybody loses self-control, it will be your opponent, which can lead to a mistake which you can use to your advantage.

Continually seek an avenue of retreat. It is not your responsibility to engage an attacker beyond the point of your security or safety (or that of another). The moment you have the opportunity to retreat to safety you must attempt to do so. This is important in terms of your legal liability but also because the longer the confrontation continues, the more likely you will be to make a serious, and perhaps even fatal, mistake.

Never trap or "box in" your attacker. After all, who is the most dangerous man in the world? The man who has nothing to lose. Like an animal, if cornered, your attacker may actually become more aggressive.

Try to think like your opponent. There is an old saying: "Those who hunt monsters must take great care that they do not become as monsters themselves." This saying likely came about because in order to track and capture a criminal, it is first necessary to understand the criminal mind. This is why security consultants are often asked to read security protocols. They are hired to identify flaws and to recommend counter measures should security be breached. They know the mind of the criminal element--so they know what to protect against. So, while you can't be expected to know the specific personality of your attacker, you can attempt to use what you do know. For example, are they on drugs? Are they out for money? Are they gang-bangers trying to impress other gang members? Pick up as much as you can, using your training in situational awareness, and it will serve you well; for the more you know about your opponent, the more likely you will be effectively anticipate and counter their actions.

Whenever possible, cheat! Remember that what we are discussing here is not a school yard fist fight, but a fight for your life. If a violent conflict cannot be avoided, seek out and exploit every weaknesses in your attacker, as there is no such thing as a “fair” fight. This is another example where situational awareness comes into play. Lets say that you are walking down the street and you observe an individual acting suspiciously. As he advances toward you, your alertness level increases. You observe that he is limping, and is favoring his right leg. Is he faking it? Perhaps, but you really don't know. He attempts to accost you, and you are required to defend yourself. What should be your primary target for any countermeasure not involving a weapon? The correct and obvious answer is his right leg. Why? Well, because he appears to be favoring this limb, and if it is truly injured, it will present a weak point, which should be exploited to its fullest advantage.

Deceit and subterfuge are your allies when engaged in a violent confrontation. Once again we can refer to a principle found within the works of Sun Tzu and the Art of War, which reads: “Hold out baits and fain disorder and crush him." This tactic can actually be quite effective. I personally have used it with success in the past. It's a simple tactic, which will become clear from the following story. An associate and I were preparing to engage within “Force on Force” training using paintball guns. For some reason, my associate started firing rapidly in my direction prior to the official start of our exercise. I immediately yelled for him to stop, and was repeatedly ignored. I was struck twice in the leg with a paintball at a distance of approximately 7 - 10 feet. Now it is important to understand, that the average paintball is moving at a speed of between 200 - 300 FPS (feet per second), and they do hurt on impact. So I decided to teach this individual a lesson I am sure he will never forget. I immediately feigned an injury by grabbing my leg and began yelling. Then I began to limp in his direction while playing on his sympathies. As a result, he made a fatal mistake: he let down his guard. As soon as I was within a close-range to effectively make my point, I lifted my head, looked him straight in the eyes, and “Yea, I’m fine” as I……………

What is important here is to understand that in the situation above which was a controlled (Semi) training environment the individual knew this principle but still fell for it. Did he fall for it because he knew me? No. In truth, he has admitted that my behavior caught him off guard (which is what I wanted to do) and as a result he responded in a manner which he did not expect. He felt sympathy and regret for his actions. It is important to understand that even though an attacker should be considered the lowest form of life, they are still human, and as a result they like everyone else can be exploited even if only for a moment which may be enough to end the confrontation.

It is my hope that this information will be found useful.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

Assistant Administrator
    Useful input Bryan and thx.
    Chris - P95

No problem.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

Urinating or vomiting on yourself can be very distracting.

Exclamation Distractor? SURE! FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    I think there's a lot of things that have a decent chance of working. Throw some sand, gravel, or pocket-change. Flick your cigarette at them or toss your sun-glasses. Shine a flashlight in their eyes. We all know about reaction time. All you're trying to do is buy that split-second to start your draw and move off-line.

"You don't scare me private Pyle..." (sorry, couldn't resist )
    This the major reason I'm always carrying one of my SureFire lights. I'm saving for an E2 Defender to give me another layer of protection as an impact weapon.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links