Self-Defense and the Bible

This is a discussion on Self-Defense and the Bible within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to post this anyways. Since I started carrying 2 months ago I have been concerned ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense and the Bible

Self-Defense and the Bible

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to post this anyways.

Since I started carrying 2 months ago I have been concerned that using lethal force to defend myself and family conflicts with my Christian beliefs. Many people I work with tell me how stupid it is to carry a gun and how can I call myself a Christian and carry a gun. One individual simply said that when it's his time then it won't matter whether he has a gun or not. I have been having trouble defending my decision so I decided to search for an answer, and this is one of the many great examples I found.

From WND 2001 written by Joseph Farah

After my plea to Americans last week to buy firearms as a first step to fighting terrorism, a number of Christians wrote challenging my prescription as unbiblical, unscriptural and ungodly.

Wrong.

The Bible couldn't be clearer on the right even the duty we have as believers to self-defense.

Let's start in the Old testament.

"If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him," we are told in Exodus 22:2. The next verse says, "If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft."

In other words, it was perfectly OK to kill a thief breaking into your house. That's the ultimate expression of self-defense. It doesn't matter whether the thief is threatening your life or not. You have the right to protect your home, your family and your property, the Bible says.

The Israelites were expected to have their own personal weapons. Every man would be summoned to arms when the nation confronted an enemy. They didn't send in the Marines. The people defended themselves.

In 1 Samuel 25:13, we read: "And David said unto his men, Gird ye on every man his sword. And they girded on every man his sword; and David also girded on his sword: and there went up after David about four hundred men; and two hundred abode by the stuff."

Every man had a sword and every man picked it up when it was required.

Judges 5:8 reminds us of what happens to a foolish nation that chooses to disarm: "They chose new gods; then was war in the gates: was there a shield or spear seen among forty thousand in Israel?"

The answer to the rhetorical question is clear: No. The people had rebelled against God and put away their weapons of self-defense.

"Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight," David writes in Psalms 144:1.

Clearly, this is not a pacifist God we serve. It's God who teaches our hands to war and our fingers to fight. Over and over again throughout the Old testament, His people are commanded to fight with the best weapons available to them at that time.

And what were those weapons? Swords.

They didn't have firearms, but they had sidearms. In fact, in the New testament, Jesus commanded His disciples to buy them and strap them on. Don't believe me? Check it out.

Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

I know. I know. You biblically literate skeptics are going to cite Matthew 26:52-54 how Jesus responded when Peter used his sword to cut off the ear of a servant of the high priest: "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?"

Read those verses in context and they support my position. Jesus told Peter he would be committing suicide to choose a fight in this situation as well as undermining God's plan to allow Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection.

Jesus told Peter to put his sword in its place at his side. He didn't say throw it away. After all, He had just ordered the disciples to arm themselves. The reason for the arms was obviously to protect the lives of the disciples, not the life of the Son of God. What Jesus was saying was: "Peter, this is not the right time for a fight."

In the context of America's current battle as we make plans to rebuild after the devastation of Sept. 11 and defend ourselves at the same time we should recall Nehemiah, who rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem.

"They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon," we're told in Nehemiah 4:17-18. "For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded."

Any more questions, skeptics?

By the way, I am in the Navy and not allowed to carry on base anywhere, including the publicly accessible base housing area. The guys in my shop are very politically and religiously opinionated and we have very intense debates almost daily. --Just to explain the relevance of my co-workers opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Please don't let's start a religious thread per se .....DC is not into that.

However, feel free to succinctly state your take on this in broad terms.

Mine is, as a non-religious person .. that anyone trying to take my life has by that act rescinded his/her right to survival - meaning that I am well within any human rights to take measures to prevent same ... even at risk of taking that life.

If you will - in school yard terms ''he started it"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    However, feel free to succinctly state your take on this in broad terms.
    God told me I could kill 'em.

"We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I agree about starting a religious rant.

I, OTOH, am a religious person. There is nothing in the bible that prevents you from defending yourself. So what about that commandment, "Thou shall not kill"? Well, the actual translation is "Thou shall not MURDER". You can kill someone to defend yourself or your family, but you cannot murder someone.

If you read the bible from start to finish, you will see self defense is allowed. Those who say otherwise are interpreting it wrong...something that never happens.

I can go on, but I had better stop.

Please don't let's start a religious thread per se .....DC is not into that.
    Nor could support it. I firmly believe in what Jesus intended when He said "be ready". I can't quote book and verse, but I know there are a few instances. I'm a firm believer in that respect. "Be ready"---and I could hope for nothing more.

VIP Member
    I am not a religious man either. But, it's your choice rather it's you (or your family) or the BG.. I see no other way around it.

This post is in no means an attempt to start a religious debate. This is simply an example straight from the Bible in support of self-defense. I just wanted give religious or non-religious folks who have heard this argument from people who believe Christians are just supposed to "turn the other cheek".

Distinguished Member
    A church minister thought my ccw class and he was packing a sig 232 .

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just wanted give religious or non-religious folks who have heard this argument from people who believe Christians are just supposed to "turn the other cheek".
    There is a story of an Irish boxer who came to America in the 1800s. Of course at that time, the Irish weren't so popular so a couple of the towns folk went to pay him a visit. When they got there, they started beating up on the fellow. He allowed them to punch him in the face. Then he turned the other cheek and let them hit him again. After that, he said, "The Lord has given me no further commands" and beat the *$#% out of them.

Assistant Administrator
    This post is in no means an attempt to start a religious debate.
    No probs ..... but believe me with the mod experience I have, this subject can go downhill - real quick Thus the warning!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I need no book to tell me that protection of my family is an absolute good. Life is worth valuing. A good life is worth defending. To turn a blind eye to that value is to disregard the gift.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My own Christian 30 year soldiers' viewpoint-

A reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:
    Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Hand grenades not generally available, I carry regularly. My intent is never to let the Bad Guy win. My family, my friends and me are more valuable. Bad Guy loses. Period.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Since I started carrying 2 months ago I have been concerned that using lethal force to defend myself and family conflicts with my Christian beliefs.
    Thanks for posting. I had to work through the issues as well before I made the decision to carry and am glad you are searching your convictions and seeking wisdom. Its a very personal decision and that at the end of the day you must be convinced in your own mind and heart that carrying is right for you. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to this one as there are with some (few) things in life. So I would say - keep reading, discussing, and weighing the issues on their merits - giving prayerful consideration as you go. If after a season you have not reached a comfort level, then maybe time to reconsider.

Yep, there is theology that can shed some light on it.. . At the end of the day however, for me, it came down to my duty as a father and husband to love, provide, and protect my family as best I can. Whether its buying the better tires for the family van for safety's sake, working extra hrs to pay bills, or lugging a carry weapon while hiking the trails, it really all serves that same goal.

Thank you for your service.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

"Get thee a Kimber Ultra and be vigilant..." Gunsite 1:1-4
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    At the end of the day however, for me, it came down to my duty as a father and husband to love, provide, and protect my family as best I can. Whether its buying the better tires for the family van for safety's sake, working extra hrs to pay bills, or lugging a carry weapon while hiking the trails, it really all serves that same goal.

Thank you for your service.

Well said!!.

Many people do not take the responsibility of personal safety seriously. Most of these folks seem like they are in my family. It is your right and duty to protect you and yours. If they don't agree then thats just too bad. And I would tell them so.

Might be a good idea to limit the folks you tell about your CCW.

Congrats on standing up for your beliefs.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links