LTCF in anti states

This is a discussion on LTCF in anti states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We need a better search system. I looked and couldn't find this topic so if anyone knows where it is please point me in the ...

Thread: LTCF in anti states

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

LTCF in anti states

We need a better search system. I looked and couldn't find this topic so if anyone knows where it is please point me in the correct direction. Anyways the question is this. Lets say I was in MD, NY or DC etc... and I were pulled over for whatever reason. If they ran my PA drivers licence would it also show my LTCF for PA? Or is that something that would show up on a PA check? Obviously I'm not carrying in these states, I guess my concern is raising the LEO's suspison in an anti-gun state.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't heard the term LTCF (license to carry firearm) before. Anyhoo---does your "LTCF" show when your DL gets run in your home state? Ours here in Arkansas does. I would expect this scenario is nationwide. Everything is linked together these days unless one of those states you're in hasn't come out of the dark ages yet. Big brother has a national database for a backup.
    BTW (by the way)---if that ever happens in a non-carry state, get ready for a vehicle search.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    i too think it is difficult to use forum searches. (Library searches too sometimes!) I started a thread about it, but it didn't go anywhere.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=38761

Can any LEO give an answer about what they see when they pull out of state DL? Would out of state CCW = probable cause? I would guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    if that ever happens in a non-carry state, get ready for a vehicle search.
    I've got 4 words for you if that happens "Am I under arrest?", or as my CC instructor suggested "Are you investigating a crime?"

Any time a LEO asks to search your vehicle, the chances of you two being buds is gone.

Never, ever, ever consent to a search. If they threaten to keep you there until they get a warrant, "Knock yourself out." They can only detain you for a "reasonable" amount of time, and I doubt there is a judge on the planet that is going to issue a warrant based on an out of state driver with a CC permit on a traffic stop.

Keep your mouth shut, be polite and courteous - don't volunteer anything. I would be hesitant to answer any questions other than name, registration, and insurance. If you have done nothing wrong - no weapon, checked the state laws before you went there... ride it out.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I live in Florida now (thank God) and have a ccw.
    I had my buddy a New York State trooper run my license to see if my ccw came up.
    It didn't.
    But Fla ccw's are not linked to your drivers license.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I've got 4 words for you if that happens "Am I under arrest?", or as my CC instructor suggested "Are you investigating a crime?"

Any time a LEO asks to search your vehicle, the chances of you two being buds is gone.

Never, ever, ever consent to a search. If they threaten to keep you there until they get a warrant, "Knock yourself out." They can only detain you for a "reasonable" amount of time, and I doubt there is a judge on the planet that is going to issue a warrant based on an out of state driver with a CC permit on a traffic stop.

Keep your mouth shut, be polite and courteous - don't volunteer anything. I would be hesitant to answer any questions other than name, registration, and insurance. If you have done nothing wrong - no weapon, checked the state laws before you went there... ride it out.
    http://checkpointusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    We need a better search system. I looked and couldn't find this topic so if anyone knows where it is please point me in the correct direction. Anyways the question is this. Lets say I was in MD, NY or DC etc... and I were pulled over for whatever reason. If they ran my PA drivers licence would it also show my LTCF for PA? Or is that something that would show up on a PA check? Obviously I'm not carrying in these states, I guess my concern is raising the LEO's suspison in an anti-gun state.
    I don't know for a fact, but I doubt it. I say that because in PA, the county sheriffs (or Chief of Police in Philly) is responsible for LTCF issue - it's not a state-wide process. From what I've read on here and the PAFOA forum, it sounds like the license/permit isn't even uniform from one county to the next. Some are paper forms that need to be folded to fit in a wallet. Mine is laminated and credit card size (though it does have a form number: SP 4-129 (12-2003)).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The way I was trained here in Minnesota was that the LEO will not know if you have a CCW or not. He recommended to provide your permit along with your License. But I would say that if you are out of state and not carrying, I would not say anything...

JMO..

Mike

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    A PA carry permit does not appear when your DL is checked via the PennDOT computer. There is a query that can be run specifically for a PA carry permit regardless of the county that issued it. Knowledge of a subject having a carry permit by itself does not = PC for a search.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Sorry, forgot to add that an out of state agency would need to contact a PA CLEAN terminal for the carry permit query. Contact could be made with any police agency or communications center for that.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

In Michigan, it shows up on plate numbers and driver license numbers.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I got stopped in Fla, Two years ago. I told the officer I had a ccw when he asked for my DL. When he got the read back on my Ar. DL, he was told I did have a ccw. He was standing next to my car and I heard the radio broadcast.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Next time I go shooting with the local PD, I'll try and remember to ask them. I haven't been pulled over since I got either one of my permits (UT and PA) so I'm not really sure if the CCWs are linked out of state.

Links