Fear - anger?

This is a discussion on Fear - anger? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does fear pre-empt confrontation - or does perhaps anger take over? Anger at the fact that someone is threatening us to a high degree? We ...

Thread: Fear - anger?

Assistant Administrator

Fear - anger?

Does fear pre-empt confrontation - or does perhaps anger take over? Anger at the fact that someone is threatening us to a high degree?

We have talked before about all the adrenaline issues but I do find that if a ''situation'' is developing real slow then fear (my fear) is detectable. Good perhaps as this might help us get the heck outa Dodge.!

The time frame is probably the be-all and end-all - if we have to react super fast then no time for much more than reaction - according to our practice and training.

If and when tho time is protracted - where we see potential threat and have time to think on possible progressions - then I have to say - I am no hero or macho type!!

The few occasions I have seen something ''on the horizon'' I have been elevated to orange and red but - also aware that fear is there - mixed with a controlled plan of action - escape being a fave!

Last ''situation'' was in a mall - having a snack. One of two guys was looking less than normal and was walking around, including behind me. I was very aware and probably looked better than alert! I was also tho feeling fear and I am not ashamed to admit it. I stayed sharp and on edge until I finished my eating and then moved on. I used all visual ploys to keep him under surveillance.

Daresay the guy was no real threat but I didn't like his looks and actions.

So - fear - acceptable - or whimpy??
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

It's a poor set of legs that lets its body take a beating.

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    SSKC - very astute observation !
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Thumbs up Another Good One Chris

The adrenaline kicks in & we become ready...then they don't call it The "Flight Or Fight Response" for no reason.
    If the situation is total S.H.T.F. then I think we probably become equally ready for either option to protect our lives.
    Just my humble one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks, but I can't take credit. A very good friend of mine passed that on to me - it came from his father.

I think we feel fear for a reason. Like pain, fear is usually unpleasant, but it serves the purpose of protecting us. And like pain, there are times to listen to it and times we have to push it aside. I see absolutely no dishonor in executing the "Nike Defense" when it can be done safely. You will never lose a fight that you aren't in.

SSKC

Lead Moderator
    fear keeps ya alive. Either by flight or fight. Training is essential , so ya can perform despite fear.

Assistant Administrator
    The one aspect of the fear response that concerns me is simply the premature injection of adrenaline. It is the slow onset ''fight or flight'' response. Otherwise known as ''being scared s***less''!

The concern is because on at least one occasion I can recall, ''things'' developed slowly (relatively) and by the time they could have gotten real hot, I was suffering what we normally think of as ''coming down'' - the less than steady knees, some loss of fine motor skills etc.

Had I had to go into ''high gear'' then, I would I am sure have been disadvantaged. Luckily things defuzed and all was OK.

Given the luxury of choice, I would prefer the sorta confrontation where there are a coupla seconds of good clear getting-ready time - not an instantanious need for action, and neither a prologued slow build. Of course needless to say - we have no choice in such matters!!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    premature injection? Sound like an old guy problem. LOL. Kidding. Yes extra time would be nice but , assaults usually happen in a short time. Traing and being aware of your surroundings should give you a fair advantage.

P95 Fear is always present before anger. Anger is your response to fear. Specifically, if some one cuts you off, immediately some of us become angry because a potential threat to our well being was introduced. Thus, fear initiated anger. In contrast, fight or flight response is when threat is definite and your mind, your body, and even the chemicals in your body change as you debate your next move. Moreover, fear is good because its your desire to survive and do well so yes, depending your the level of fear you may have a titrated dump of adrenaline.

For example, this past Friday I had just finished doing the front brakes on my car and took it for a spin and to the local car wash to clean it up. Well, as I was washing the car I noticed a guy pull up parallel to the back of the stall and raise his hood. Well his car was running so I continued to be some what alert. Now, mind you this is a single person wash only one wash stall and an auto booth. Well the guys begins to lurk and he is looking like a predator. Now I am on edge. He takes what seems like for ever to come around the front of the stall. Then now he is in my stall with his hands in pocket watching me and pretending to look at the dials on the wall.

All my military training was saying threat, and I am constantly mentally calming my self down and watching his hands. My little SW model 37 was riding shot gun in my right jeans pocket. The guy is sizing me up. I speak to him and ask him how was his day going. He less than concerned says what kind of soap was I using. Well first of the kind that is loaded into the stall I am thinking. This was a sign of nervousness for him and I knew his response was not germaine to the topic and he was disconnected. Now people about three minutes has past and now I am approaching red. Then a truck pulls up and the guy seems to know the other guy driving. I immediately watch this guy come around to the front of the stall. They are talking and I speak to the guy also. The change machine is located on front but he has not gotten change or my friend. They ease around the back of the stall out of view. So, I get in my car, place the 37 on my lap, lock the doors and exit the stall.

P95 I was scared and this was the closest I had come to pulling the trigger since my service. I learned two things when and if things go hot remain as calm as possible as to not disturb your motor skills. Secondly, the amount of rounds for us as civilians really don't matter I would have been happy with a .32. However, I was glad to have my little model 37 there loaded with +P Speer Gold dots. However, whose to say if I would not have felt better with the 1911 on my side with 230 grains of thunder. This I don't know but when things seem to hit the fan any pistol is comforting.
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 15th, 2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    BlueLion - intersting scenario - I am sure my pulse rate would have been decidely elevated and Mr SIG would have been, shall we say - accessible!!

Thx for the description. Makes you wonder after the event just what might have gone down, or if it was all relatively innocent.
    Chris - P95

Roger that P95.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Thumbs up Good Post BlueLion

Very worthwhile post & I enjoyed reading it.
    Actually it was a good enough post for you to open up a new thread on that scenario.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links