I witnessed a road rage incident that resulted in guns being pulled

This is a discussion on I witnessed a road rage incident that resulted in guns being pulled within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night after I got off work at 10PM, I went outside to start my car. I saw a small group that consisted of two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I witnessed a road rage incident that resulted in guns being pulled

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I witnessed a road rage incident that resulted in guns being pulled

Last night after I got off work at 10PM, I went outside to start my car. I saw a small group that consisted of two guys fighting in the parking lot where I work, and a couple females telling them to stop. I saw the two guys pull guns on each other, but no shots were exchanged, just verbal attacks. I started my car, and quickly put my gun back on my hip, and I went back inside the restaraunt. My manager was already on the phone with the police, and just as the cops got there, like five minutes after I saw it all go down, I left to go home, because another co-worker was outside smoking, and saw it all go down from the beginning so I let him tell the police what happened. I happened to witness it in the middle of the fight, so I didn't get all the details, but I did overhear my co-worker explaining what he saw, that two vehicles darn near collided, and they pulled into the parking lot and the occupants started shouting. I figured my best bet was not to get involved with any of it, and just keep to myself. Is there anything I should have done differently? It would've been bad had there been shots exchanged, but luckily that was not the case.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

I would have given the police my statement, anyway, or at least asked them if they wanted a statement from me. 2 witnesses are better than 1...you could at least back up each other.
    Also, did you mistype, or did you start your car, leave your car running, and then go back into the restaurant? It also kind of sounds like from your post that you started your car after the guns were pulled? I probably wouldn't make any noises that would draw attention to myself as two people are about to possibly start shooting.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I started my car to warm it up, because it was -2 degrees last night, and I went back inside, because by the time I had done that, the two guys and their female occupants took off. By the time the cops got there, they were long gone. All this happened in under two minutes.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

You should have stayed and given your statement to the LEO’s. You may have seen something your buddy didn’t, and like BerneyG stated, two witnesses are better than one.

It's idiots like those guys who endanger all our gun rights. For God's sake if you are going to carry a gun don't get involved in road rage incidents.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Spyderdude, IMHO you should have stuck around and given a statement. It never hurts to have another witness on scene.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 9th, 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Edited reference to a deleted post
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

The only other reason I would have stayed, is that I would assume that you are probably more aware of things than an average co-worker. Face it, most people are sheep, and any descriptions from an average sheep probably would not help LEO out too much...you might have been able to provide some added detail. Just guessing, it's just since I've joined this site, I've noticed that most of the people here pay a lot more attention to what's going on. But, I don't know your co-worker, so impossible for me to tell.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Rubbish! You did well.

You noticed what was going on, you assessed the situation, got yourself armed, protected yourself by staying away, and made sure the police was notified... This is what it's all about... You are fine!

FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

I would have stayed to give my account if needed. You don't have to, it is not required but that is what I would have done.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Overall I think you did okay.

With regard to staying and giving a statement... that was totally your call!

In most cases I would have offered a statement, but then again, there are occasions where I might choose not to.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Helps to know if local PD lists contact information on a call- which is public information. Stupid people usually die stupidly. I would have given 911 descriptions, but I wouldn't have waited to be interviewed by PD.

I think it was better to let the guy who saw the whole thing give the account to the officers, rather than someone who happened to walk out see a fight going on already and then two people pull guns on one another.

If he overheard the account by the witness who saw the thing from start to finish and there wasn't any discrepancies in what his story was from what he witnessed midstream, why run the risk of muddying up the water.

You done good, stay safe.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Probably drunk as well.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's idiots like those guys who endanger all our gun rights. For God's sake if you are going to carry a gun don't get involved in road rage incidents.
    I doubt if the two had CCW permits, the incident itself would have been enough to get a permit revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    I doubt if the two had CCW permits, the incident itself would have been enough to get a permit revoked.
    The OP is in Alaska. Permits are not required for open or concealed carry. If you're legal to possess, you're legal to carry.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links