Its about time Tennessee

This is a discussion on Its about time Tennessee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=53255 Bill would allow guns where alcohol served Date created: 1/9/2008 10:41:46 AM Last updated: 1/9/2008 10:43:27 AM A person with a handgun permit could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its about time Tennessee

Its about time Tennessee

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=53255

Bill would allow guns where alcohol served

Date created: 1/9/2008 10:41:46 AM
    Last updated: 1/9/2008 10:43:27 AM

A person with a handgun permit could carry the weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol under a bill that passed the Senate Judiciary Committee on the first day of the session yesterday.Advertisement

The measure sponsored by Sen. Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, passed 8-1 Tuesday.

The legislation would not apply if the owner of the premises has banned weapons from being brought inside and posted a notice informing people of the ban.

Sen. Beverly Marrero, a Memphis Democrat and the lone dissenting vote, said she's uncomfortable with guns being around alcohol -- even if the person has a permit.

She said she's seen irrational behavior in bars and she'd prefer that people in her area not be armed.

The companion to the bill remains in a House subcommittee.

copyright AP

2. Remove Ads

No kidding - I am from there, and everytime I go back to visit, that law's the biggest pain. I don't aim to carry in a honkytonk, but O'Charleys. Applebee's, etc. it is silly not to be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by mgoldhammer View Post
    Sen. Beverly Marrero, a Memphis Democrat and the lone dissenting vote, said she's uncomfortable with guns being around alcohol -- even if the person has a permit.

She said she's seen irrational behavior in bars and she'd prefer that people in her area not be armed.
    That seems to be the problem with most Memphis/Shelby County politicians, they spend too much time in bars.....

I have in the past only disagreed with this woman, but she makes sense this time and I have to agree. I cannot see why anyone would want to mix carrying a gun and a bunch of folks under the influence...just does not make sense to me, especially in TN where open carry is legal and practiced regularly. And, yes, I have read a bunch of threads and posts on this forum and others that supported carry where alcohol is served. It just seems like too much of a risk for some drunk to think that he/she should take your gun and show you how to use it or some other stupid, drunk type thing.

The odd thing in TN is that BEER is not alcohol (according to TN law), so it is legal to carry in a BEER Joint that does not serve anything over 5% alcohol by volume. To me, that is even less desireable than carrying in a place like Applebee's or O'Charley's. But, then again, it is TN and that is how things are done here.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Michigan has a distinction thats more middle of the road.

If the place receives 50% or more of its revenue from alcohol = no carry

Under 50% = can carry.

It lets you carry in Applebee's but not an outright bar/beer joint/etc.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    I cannot see why anyone would want to mix carrying a gun and a bunch of folks under the influence...just does not make sense to me, especially in TN where open carry is legal and practiced regularly.
    First off, I don't see what the second part of the sentence has to do with the first part.
    To answer the first part of the sentence, my guess would be to protect oneself and to be assured the weapon is secure. Another reason would be not having to leave a weapon in a car unattended.
    Also, many people do not drink but are with some friends that do or maybe someone would just like ot have a glass of wine with their dinner. In either instance, I do not think there is rational reason as to why they should be deprived of their right to carry simply because they are around liquor.
    Responsibility will always be a priority.
    Of course we'll hear from those against it saying there will be shootings everywhere and people dying. You know, like when we heard that there was going to be blood flowing in the streets of Florida when the new stand your ground law went into effect.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I'd never dream of carrying open in a saloon type environment, you're just asking for some bonehead to approach you. Not to mention the jerk that might just try to grab it in fun. A properly concealed gun, IF YOU'RE MAINTAINING YOURSELF, is no threat.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 10th, 2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround

The companion to the bill remains in a House subcommittee.
    And there it shall remain and die a slow and lonely death just as it has every other time it has come up. All thanks to the illustrious Jimmy Naifeh, a big Liberal, gun hating, idiot who happens to be the Speaker of the House and keeps this bill from coming up for a vote every time it is passed by the Senate.

I can't wait for this fool and corrupt slime ball to either lose an election or die so we can get some things done that aren't his pet projects.

I would love it if TN just passed a law similar to every other state that allows carry in restaurants that serve alcohol such as Mississippi or Alabama. If you go there to eat and are carrying, you are not allowed to go into the bar area and you are not allowed to consume alcohol while you are carrying. What is so hard about that?
    And you can't carry into a bar. It seems so simple. But no, Naifeh just won't even let it come up for a vote because he knows it will pass and he is a gun hater.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozshadow View Post
    ...but O'Charleys. Applebee's, etc. it is silly not to be able to.

This is why I no longer go to Applebee's and other places like them. My family of five only goes to places where I am able to carry concealed...and I never drank alcoholic beverages away from home anyway. So the effect of the law is that these establishments have lost my (and I suspect, a lot of other people's) business.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    And there it shall remain and die a slow and lonely death just as it has every other time it has come up. All thanks to the illustrious Jimmy Naifeh, a big Liberal, gun hating, idiot who happens to be the Speaker of the House and keeps this bill from coming up for a vote every time it is passed by the Senate.
    When I took my CCW class for Tennessee in March 2006, my instructor said that this bill was before the Senate, but that they were so busy with budget issues that it might not see the light of day for some time to come.

I just can't understand why anyone has a problem with this. If you aren't drinking, and the establishment has no problem with it, then you may as well be in a candy store.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

MN prefered

Carry okay in any bar. If over .04 level, your permit is history.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

VIP Member
    I travel to Tn quite often. Mcdonalds gets real old. I wish they'd get off their butts and do something about this. No carrying in a bar, fine, but not to be able to go to O'Charleys and such is rediculous.
    If I get a hotel room in downtown Nashville and want to walk to 2nd ave to go to the Spaghetti Factory or Hard Rock Cafe ect, I have to leave my gun in the room, so I am unprotected walking the whole way there and back..I don't get it.

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas has had that one for awhile and I far I know there have been few problems with it.

You still cant go into a bar, but restaurants are OK.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Connecticut there is no such law for CCW in bars. Having said that I would never carry into a bar. If you ever had to use your weapon you might find yourself in a difficult situation in court.

VIP Member
    Poll from Fox 17 in Nashville running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=39341

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Poll from Fox 17 in Nashville running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=39341

Should you be allowed to carry a loaded gun into a bar or restaurant in Tennessee?

82.83% Yes
    17.16% No
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links