I was told I was trespassing - Page 2

I was told I was trespassing

This is a discussion on I was told I was trespassing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not know if this will have any effect on your permit, it certainly shouldn't, but I would start writing a letter of complaint ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I was told I was trespassing

VIP Member
    I do not know if this will have any effect on your permit, it certainly shouldn't, but I would start writing a letter of complaint regarding your treatment to AT&T! I'd also get my money back.

You did nothing wrong and if they want to have a no firearms policy that's their right but they should at least have the decency to post it. You had no warning and again, you were well within your rights to CCW!

Forum rules prohibit me from saying what I think of AT&T!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I work for an at&t reseller if you walk into any of our offices you would assume we are a company owned store they may be an agent like we are which is private owned. I carry everyday and im carring now in our store as I type this. No one knows except the store owner and me. So you should find out if the store is a retailer first if it is contact the owner not the store manager.

You know, the property rights argument (for a commercial establishment) only goes so far. They would not be able to prevent a black/asian/latino person from entering their premises based on race. Nor someone in a wheelchair, on oxygen, etc. ACLU and any other lawyer would have a field day. So why do we accept that keeping a form of self-protection with us (in this case, a gun) - that is protected by law under the Second Amendment and pretty much every state constitution - gives any business cause to ban from premises?

And I don't buy the "made the salesperson uncomfortable" argument. If you were robbed by a asian male once could you now ban asian males from the store based on that argument? Of course not.

If someone was carrying an oxygen tank with them for health reasons, could you ban them in case of the unlikely event of the tank exploding? Nope, not that either.

We as gun owners seem to be accepting of people who look down on us, or try to prevent us access to a particular location. It would seem a few lawsuits for violation of civil rights would be in order.

/rant off.

1. Forget it and pay online or by mail. Be a little more careful next time. You can always present your side to the manager and compare your situation to the off duty LEO.Are they welcome? It seems as though the office personnel skipped a step or two with the trespass thing. You were not trespassing, doing anything illegal or acting in any manner that would cause them to ban you. They can do it, but at their own legal peril. Why the police would go along with the trespass thing is really odd. I'd talk to them too.

Tell them if you are not welcome in their store then you want your money back. They knew you were carrying BEFORE they rang up your purchase. Then go buy from people who do not employ idiots!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If made like this, would it have been a bad idea to say something like "Oh, yeah, I have to have it for my job," and then if asked what that is, say something like "sorry, but I'm not supposed to talk about it"? You wouldn't be claiming to be a LEO (and if asked directly I would truthfully deny it) but there are many non-LEO jobs out there that may require a sidearm, such as security guard, courier, etc., and it may chill out someone like this store rep to think you are a professional instead of just some "dude with a gun."

Would this be out of line?

yours/
    peter.

Quote Originally Posted by K-31 View Post
    If made like this, would it have been a bad idea to say something like "Oh, yeah, I have to have it for my job," and then if asked what that is, say something like "sorry, but I'm not supposed to talk about it"? You wouldn't be claiming to be a LEO (and if asked directly I would truthfully deny it) but there are many non-LEO jobs out there that may require a sidearm, such as security guard, courier, etc., and it may chill out someone like this store rep to think you are a professional instead of just some "dude with a gun."

Would this be out of line?

yours/
    peter.
    That's a good way of thinking about it. After all, isn't it our ultimate job to make sure we stay alive? The way I see it the regular "job" is simply to make money to provide us with shelter, food, etc. Without many of those things, we'd die.

I know this might not be the best group of people to say this in front of, but here it goes anyway. Be careful about following up with this store. The clerk was obviously uncomfortable, and if the owner tells her there is nothing the store can do about it, she might try something to the effect of a restraining order or something like that. If they were crazy enough to call the police over something like that, they might be crazy enough to take it further, especially if its the type of person it sounds like it is. By the way, YMMV, but in my state a restraining order means "bye bye CHL...".
    My opinion, talk to the local police, make sure it's not going any further, explain what happened in a nice and respectful way, and go to a different store or mail in your phone for service. If you just want 'advice' about a phone, google or their 1-800 number will probably suffice.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

A couple things I might recommend to everyone......

Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    I live in Raleigh NC, where I recently bought another cell phone. NC is an open carry State and the AT&T Store I was in is not posted. I have a CCL and was carrying at the time of the incident. While reaching for my wallet I exposed my weapon to the representative accidentally. She said I've never been this close to a gun before. I went back yesterday for advice on my phone I was waited on by the head lady she told me her rep got flustered after I left. The sight of my weapon bothered her, before I could apologies, she informed me that the Police were called after I left and an report was filed I was was under an order of trespass and I was no longer welcome in that particular office. My question is will this interfere with my renewal of my permit? Will I get a visit from local PD? Is my now valid permit in Jeopardy?

should this happen to you. One, I would have immediately reassured the first clerk that I had a permit and there was nothing to be frightened about. After all if she has ever stood next to a cop she has in fact been that close to a gun. Tell her that many of their customers are CC permit holders, she just doesn't know it. Second I would have explained this also to the head lady the next day if possible. Third, calling the police about me doing nothing wrong gets them one less customer no matter how good the deal is. I would walk out, find another company that day, return and hand them the phone and tell them to remove me as a customer immediately. Then I write to corporate, copy the head lady, and also politely inform them that I am spreading the word on a lot of gun sites and organizations such as the NRA about their policy toward gun owners. If and/or when they choose to reconsider their stance I will be happy to inform the gun owning community of this also. Here is my number I will be happy to talk to you any time. Thank you very much and have a wonderful day.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'd cancell and tell them why.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    I know this might not be the best group of people to say this in front of, but here it goes anyway. Be careful about following up with this store. The clerk was obviously uncomfortable, and if the owner tells her there is nothing the store can do about it, she might try something to the effect of a restraining order or something like that. If they were crazy enough to call the police over something like that, they might be crazy enough to take it further, especially if its the type of person it sounds like it is. By the way, YMMV, but in my state a restraining order means "bye bye CHL...".
    My opinion, talk to the local police, make sure it's not going any further, explain what happened in a nice and respectful way, and go to a different store or mail in your phone for service. If you just want 'advice' about a phone, google or their 1-800 number will probably suffice.

Your right! Probably not what some here want's to hear but very true. Personally, I'd talk to the PD and cancel AT&T. I don't think a letter to AT&T is going to do any good. They may see it as harassment and make matters worst then they are.

The girl was over her head without a doubt. You did not exactly "brandish" your gun. Perhaps she has had a previous bad experience with guns and just over-reacted.

Hondov65, did you identify yourself as a CHL holder with a permit as allowed by NC law? That should have been enough to re-assure her of the legality of your carrying.

I would follow up with local PD first to found out exactly where you stand and then deal with AT&T management at the local level. They should be willing to work something out if you deal with them in a reasonable manner.

I say return the phone there, however you may need a third party to do it as you can't go back there. Then buy from a place that wants your business.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Here in virginia you must be served with a tresspassing bar first. Call and talk with the police.

You did not say how you were carrying your weapon concealed, and how she managed to see it in the first place.

"Concealed means concealed".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links