I was told I was trespassing - Page 4

I was told I was trespassing

This is a discussion on I was told I was trespassing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll second that, Austin - word for word. Also, I would not consider NC an open carry state. The appropriate explanation has already been posted....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'll second that, Austin - word for word.

Also, I would not consider NC an open carry state. The appropriate explanation has already been posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
    I'll second that, Austin - word for word.

Also, I would not consider NC an open carry state. The appropriate explanation has already been posted.
    I would not consider other states, Connecticut for example, open carry either. There is NO law prohibiting open carry in CT, but there is a "causing nuisance with a firearm" law on the books. If you are convicted of a "nuisance" charge because some sheep gets scared and calls it in, say bye bye to your carry permit. Saw it happen when I lived there. And...it wasn't even an "open carry" issue. Just a "been caught carrying and printed isssue".

Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    I carry a G22 with a SEPRA CQC Paddle holster. I am right handed. I carry on the left side from a cross-draw position, @3:00 much like Cordell Walker Texas Ranger. I was dressed in full camo except for the pants I had on jeans and jump boots I had on a hooded zip up camo jacket unziped when I reached for my wallet which I carry on my left back pocket I exposed my weapon.
    You're funny! Sounds like you have a sense of humor like me!

Unless...you were serious.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I know its been mentioned, but this is really your fault. If you are open carrying, then that's one thing. They'll probably just tell you to leave. If you are carrying "concealed" then it should stay that way. A Serpa belt holster is not exactly a concealment holster. I have one for my Sig and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Its almost useless. If you want to walk around and show your gun off to the girl behind the counter, go ahead - there's no law against it. Just don't feel like someone is trampling your rights when they feel you are being inappropriate (although legal) and ask you to never come back.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe you honestly thought that your cross draw Serpa and left pocket wallet was conducive to effective concealment. If that's the case, then let this be a lesson to you - and don't let it happen again.

If I come across as an A-hole its because I am shocked that no one has seen it from this perspective yet. That, and I am a professional A-hole. Don't take it personally - just be honest with yourself about whether you did absolutely nothing wrong. Sure you're good from a legal standpoint, but that doesn't always make it right. Its stuff like this that makes people want to make new laws, and post their business, etc...

JMO

Austin
    Sometimes the truth does hurt. Sometimes we can't avoid that even if we wanted to.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Give us an update! Talk to the cops yet?

Austin,
    You are correct, the OP made a mistake and exposed his weapon. However NC Is a open carry state, no matter what you think it is legal here. before you get to high up on your pedestal how do you know you have never done the samething? Maybe you have and somebody saw your weapon but they didn't over react and you never knew. As far as I know I have never been made, at least I have never been called on it, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. The actions of this place of business were out of line for the situation at hand. I myself doubt they even called the cops, but banning him from the store is WRONG!! The place was not posted and he didn't cause any problems while in the store. I believe the OP should post the mailing address of the store and everyone on this forum, especially NC residents should write a letter defending this member.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Count to ten, take a deep breath, say "woo-sah" and then re-read my post.

Austin

Sorry for your misfortune. I would contact the local police department and get a copy of the report. I would also insist you be allowed to tell your side of the story to the officer that took the report. You need to know if your up against something. You don't know what this woman accused you of. I would then contact the ATT cooperate office, after learning the names of the individuals who accused you of being a threat. and under no uncertain terms, I would demand the contract be broken and a letter of apology. I doubt you get the letter but it would be interesting to see the response. You were with in the law. The weapon flash was unintentional. They should post if they don't want people to carry in the store. If they want us to abide by there wishes, they must make them known before the fact, not after. Beside, if you cant enter the store, how can you conduct business.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

I would do business with siomebody else; and i would make real sure that they understood why I was doing it......

FYI I did the same thing when I dumped Sprint a few years back and didn't have to pay...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member
    If there wasn't a sign up , then I would not care if someone might of got a glance at my gun . It is legal , Aus you act like it is illegal . If I felt like that I would keep my gun at home.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I think I'd talk to an attorney and have him/her get the facts from the police and then talk to the store. Not with the intention of suing, but police and retail establishments tend to take contact by an attoney a bit more seriously.

Also, I wonder if the police were ever actually called. Since the OP was never contacted by the police they may be totally in the dark.

As a former Missouri LEO, I would have found out if the store wanted a tresspass warning issued, had the manager sign it, contacted the individual involved, given him the signed tresspass form and gotten his side. I would have advise him he may want to talk with an attorney regarding the complaint.

Since the OP has never been served, there probably not a valid tresspass complaint on file. But let your attorney handle it. One visit from your attorney and I suspect the store will not be able to apologize fast enough.

beating a dead horse?

I would put money on the following scenario, or something very similar:

The manager or someone from the store probably did call the police, and an officer probably did respond to the store. The officer probably thought this was a waste of time. The manager was probably demanding that the officer do something, so the officer said that the most that could be done was to have the OP trespassed from the store. The manager would have wanted to do that very badly, because people tend to have a very strong desire to get some sort of tangible result when they call the police. The police officer probably didn't even file a report because it is such a minor incident and he or she certainly has better things to do, but may have filed some kind of informational report to satisfy the store manager. The OP would not have to be "served" any (paper) trespass notice for it to be effective. The next time he went to the store he was notified that he was trespassed and asked to leave. That's the actual trespass notice. (Notice that the police would not have to get involved for this to occur.)

The only way that the OP can get in trouble (over this, anyway ) is if he goes to the store, the store calls the police, and the OP refuses to leave. That's it.

A little diplomacy right up front probably would have saved a few people some blood pressure medication, though.

This was good advice, assuming a little diplomacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    I'd call the store and speak to the manager, explain what happened and ask to have the trespass order removed. Explain that you were not informed that there was a problem or given the opportunity to reconcile the situation before the police were involved, and that you would have been happy to leave your sidearm in the car if you were asked (just say it). I would think that a reasonable manager would be understanding and let the matter go.
    Anyway... be nice to the . Save the aggression for the wolves.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Also, I wonder if the police were ever actually called. Since the OP was never contacted by the police they may be totally in the dark.
    This was my thought. If the PD want to contact you they should have had all the info they needed in that you had just gotten a new cell phone. ATT had you address (get to send a bill) and your cell number. If I was the LEO that and your name would been what I would have wanted if I was going to speak with you.

The manager can say anything s/he wants about your tresspassing! Go elsewhere and stop scareing people with your great big gun!!

Next Time

Simply tell this neophyte, Yes and I'm legally licensed by the state to have it. If asked if you are a LEO, answer none of your business.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Distinguished Member
    Ok, here's my advice----First find out if a police report of ANY kind was made, if it was, and your name is in the report, have they made a violation of your right to privacy by giving out your name and info. It is obvious you had not broken any laws, so why could they give out the information?

This may be a different angle to approach this and suggest a lawsuit may be forthcoming.

A side note, and I know you don't want to hear it but here goes----With your attire it makes people "uncomfortable" Camo dress seems to be the choice of shooters, and unfortunately they stereotype you, then they see your gun and think HOLY CRAP A SHOOTER

Best to ya. Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links