Shooting Situation Question

This is a discussion on Shooting Situation Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd rather not be recorded, audio or video. Remember what your state of mind might be if attacked. You're never sure what might come out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Situation Question

I'd rather not be recorded, audio or video. Remember what your state of mind might be if attacked. You're never sure what might come out of your mouth and I'd rather there wasn't a recording to dispute my recollection of the events.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I'd rather not be recorded, audio or video. Remember what your state of mind might be if attacked. You're never sure what might come out of your mouth and I'd rather there wasn't a recording to dispute my recollection of the events.
    I'm a little surprised that so many think a recording would prove we were in the wrong instead of corroborating or confirming our innocence.

What if the recording refutes faulty statements by witnesses who recall the situation erronously because they too were shocked and confused? Or there are three BGs, you shoot one and the other two lie about how it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I'm a little surprised that so many think a recording would prove we were in the wrong instead of corroborating or confirming our innocence...
    Perhaps it would be better to say that the recorded information could be used against us. It doesn't have to prove we were in the wrong to be used against us. We could be absolutely in the right, but have our words or actions turned against us, as some have suggested. I wouldn't want a recording that could be played back for the same reason I have the right to remain silent.

Yes, a recording could prove useful in some circumstances, but remember that a prosecutor's job is prosecution, not justice, not truth, not what is right. The job is to win, whether by plain fact, or by manipulating the jury and planting seeds of doubt about the defense - doesn't matter as long as the prosecution wins.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Get it - if you get into a situation and use it you might should "forget" about having the recording till you check with your lawer first & see if he\she thinks it'll help or hurt you.
    For God, Family and Country!

I can envision many times that having a recording could be beneficial and help you to prove your case. However, I personally wouldn't want to take the chance of having my words twisted out of context. You also have to consider that the recording is not going to tell the whole story. There is going to be a lot that won't be captured on the tape. Like the body language and nonverbal cues of your attacker.

There may also be things that you reacted to but didn't you didn't say anything;for example, the guy suddenly starts to draw a weapon, and instead of talking, you're concentrating on popping him before he can get you. In this scenario, an audio recording might hear you saying something like "I don't want any trouble" and then because he went for a weapon and you beat him to the draw and shot him the next thing on the tape will be "BangBangBangBang..." At that point, it would still be your word alone that things went down like you say because the tape can't corroborate your story.

Consider another example where you did have a dialogue with the person but instead of "I don't want any trouble" you said "Back the F*** off motherF***er..." (and so on and so forth). Now you would not necessarily be wrong in this case. Like physical "communication," there is a progression in verbal communication. Many times, the bad guy won't respond to "nice," you have to address them in a manner that they understand. However, on tape, it may not sound like you were trying to de-escalate or to avoid using physical force, it sounds like you were contributing to the problem.

Like I said, I don't think a recorder is the best idea in this situation because they don't tell the whole story. Also, like others have said, if there is a discrepancy between the way you remember it, and what the tape says, you're creating more problems for yourself.

Just my $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop
    Get it - if you get into a situation and use it you might should "forget" about having the recording till you check with your lawer first & see if he\she thinks it'll help or hurt you.
    That works until the police decide to search/handcuff you until they sort things out and voila, they find it in your pocket and hit the "play" button. If they hear it before you and your lawyer, you might be in for some trouble.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    LEO's in car camera (video and audio)------- How many of the video's that we see on the TV shows help the officer?? How many get twisted around to hurt the officer ?? How many of the video's do the general public NEVER get to see ?? How many get lost,stolen,or otherwise distroyed ?? ----- For me,after the BG forces me to shoot him and I come out with "There you SOB,you will never try to rob/rape/kill/assault anybody else,will you?" I would prefer that not be used against me. I also do not want the time frame recorded as to how long it takes me to regain my composure and render medical aid to the POS that forced me to shoot him(you get the picture).--- IMHO it is just like the 40rds. of ammo for the three guns that you carry,plus two knives,a couple of flashlights,multi-tool,and etc., if you feel the need to carry a voice(or even a video) recorder then GO FOR IT !! >>> but please don't record me.----------

Administrator

Well, it's something to ponder.

I am sure the Police Cruiser mounted video & voice recording helps far more LEOs than it ever hurts.
    It totally eliminates the I said - they/he/she said & documents the entire event.
    I think it is illegal to tape phone conversations not conversations or events that transpire out in public.
    Of course...thinking about it you could just call 911 & leave your phone open. All 911 calls are taped & that will always work to your advantage when your shooting is justified & it had better BE justified.
    It would seem to me that since it is a known fact that EVERY defensive shooting where the BG expires...is considered to be (and is treated EXACTLY the same as) a MURDER ...until it is proven otherwise...that whatever you can do to expedite the fact that you were justified in your shooting should work to your extreme advantage.
    Remember that if the shooting is deemed justified and is then found to be in legitimate Self-defense then usually no charges are even filed & the case never goes to court. That is my thinking.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    QKShooter, I concur, for what my insignificant concurrence is worth. I realize anything could backfire on us, but if we are in the right, a recording, along with our corroborating account, in the presence of our attorney, should support us.

A recording could be especially supportive when there are more of them than us and we know full well that they are going to tell "it" to benefit them. A recording of the entire incident would disclose who did and said what. At least we have a recording to refute their untruthful rendition. Without the recording, it may come down to their word against ours.

For most of us, cell phones will probably have to do for the time being. QKSHOOTER has a good idea about calling 911 and leaving the line open if you find youself involved in a confrontation. Also, many cell phones are now capable of sending streaming video or still images. Pointing the lens at the BG could help prevent a situation from becoming worse if the BG realizes he's on candid camera! Remember, almost all criminals value one thing above everything else, their anonymity.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    ...many cell phones are now capable of sending streaming video or still images. Pointing the lens at the BG could help prevent a situation from becoming worse if the BG realizes he's on candid camera! Remember, almost all criminals value one thing above everything else, their anonymity.
    Good point; even if "they" left the scene you'd have their picture and could even take a picture of their car and license plate.

Getting back to the voice recorder, if they realized you are recording their words that would probably be a deterrent also. Then again, if they realize what you're doing, attempting to take and transmit a picture or voice record them, it might make them want to attack in order to take the device and destroy the evidence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links