Shooting Situation Question

This is a discussion on Shooting Situation Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK...as we all are aware - The world is a changing place. Technology is totally amazing these days. The Question: Now that TINY digitial voice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Situation Question

Administrator

Shooting Situation Question

OK...as we all are aware - The world is a changing place.
    Technology is totally amazing these days.
    The Question: Now that TINY digitial voice recorders can fit right onto a keychain & store a full 40 minutes of voice recording...would we be wise to buy one - carry one - & "click it on" before any possible or likely confrontation?
    I'm also sure that SOON there will be tiny recorders that will be able to store that much sound and video & can be clipped right to a shirt pocket.

I am just thinking about how much "in police cruiser" voice and video has helped good police officers later on in court.
    That provides an ideal "visual & voice" verification of the actual events that unfolded.

In a civilian shooting...How will the investigating officers know that you yelled 4 times for the threat to STOP!!! advancing toward you? Especially if the shooting is in an isolated area and there are no witnesses.

How will they know in court that you tried to cross the street to get away from the encounter & tried to avoid the danger numerous times?
    It would be NICE if the "Powers That Be" actually hear your voice saying: "I don't want any trouble - I just want to get out of here - Get away from my car!"...or whatever.
    How will the judge know that the Bad Guy REALLY DID YELL..."I'm gonna "F"ing smash your face in with this tire iron!!!" & "I'm gonna KILL YOU!"
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Seems to me that it would help eliminate some impending trouble in a justified shooting scenario.
    Example: Pre~Road Rage Situation...You are driving along & some crazy horn starts blasting at you...click on the recorder right then & tape whatever might happen next.
    Even if worse comes to worse & you (God Forbid) end up being the victim then you could at least gasp..."I Love You Mom"
    What Say You All?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I think its an interesting concept worth looking into. I just haven't paid that much attention to recording technology.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Its a Good ideal and also Bad .. someone will abuse it and then make most people lives hell just to be a genral pain in the ... I deal with enough Ahole customers i dont need them trying to set me up over something

Senior Moderator
    I think that's a great idea. I've thought about using a voice recorder for a few specific situations, but after reading your post AND if I can find one small enough, I may start carrying one of these things as faithfully as I carry my tact light and knife.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    if you yelled stop 4 times you may be in very big trouble if you're in a "duty to retreat" state.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

DC Founder
    I think you would have to be very careful using an audio/video recording device. It might help clear you, it might help hang you. You know it would wind up on TV, either on the news or on the "scariest videos" type of show. Your actions would be dissected by every self-proclaimed expert that viewed it. The gun grabbers would be saying that you didn't do this or you didn't do that. While I think it might be good in some situations, I think I would avoid it.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Tell one story.

I'm not saying I or anyone else would deliberately lie tio the authorities about a defensive situation. Let's make that clear. I honestly believe we'd all attempt to be truthful because it would be the smartest thing to do period.

But notice I said attempt to be truthful. Shooting someone is an event that affects your physiology and psychology. One thing you actually can learn from these books on the subject is that an average Joe like me who actually put an attacker down typically experiences a combination of adrenaline dump and mental shock that can plunge you into a mental state where you are numb to the emotional impact of what you just did. I also honestly believe that in such an extreme state you could forget a lot of things.

If they were to take your initial statement and compare it to this recording and find any contradiction at all, I don't think your typical DA is knowledgeable enough about the subject to realize that even a rational person who just survived a savage attack is not quite in their right mind. I think what would immediately happen is they would build a murder or manslaughter case against you based around any discrepancy they could find. Because based on anti self defense logic, if there is any discrepancy at all then you obviously planned the whole thing.

By doing this I think you're possibly removing your own 5th Amendment rights. Plus I carry enough junk around already.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Prosecutor, "Mr. Smith,why did you have a voice recorder on and recording ? Did you know/anticipate that you were going to gun down someone today? ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. You get the picture. This is not for me. I will pass on the recording system. I will spend the time and money on training,gear,and technique.--------

Administrator

Question Lots Of Folks Are Packing Them Around

They are new technology to me though. Like an MP3 player with lots of digital voice record time.
    This one has 36 hours of voice recording. I noticed that many doctors are using them these days instead of taking notes.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I think you would have to be very careful using an audio/video recording device. It might help clear you, it might help hang you.
    Well if it doesn't look like it's going your way there is always the Rosemary Woods syndrome. erase the last 18 1/2 minutes.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Potentially useful but as as said - could just work against re legal things. I doubt somehow if faced with a stress situation anyways - I'd necessarily even think of or remember to turn it on!!!

Very handy for some things I can think of - but reservations overall.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Isn't there an issue with recording someone else in public without their knowledge. I suppose you could wear signs front and back notifying people that you are recording everything around you. However, legally I'm not sure how that would work when you approach someone. I would think it would be illegal and a bad idea for a lot of the reasons listed here.

Neat recorder though. As sometimers overtakes me I think I need one of those to help me remember where I left my keys that I lost 4 days ago.

-Scott-

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Prosecutor, "Mr. Smith,why did you have a voice recorder on and recording ? Did you know/anticipate that you were going to gun down someone today? ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. You get the picture.
    I agree. The sad thing is, that might be just about how it would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Isn't there an issue with recording someone else in public without their knowledge.
    As long as you are a part of the conversation you are generally okay in this respect.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Shhhh. MA will decide it needs to be added to every handgun sold in that state. The combined audio/video recorder would be like a "black box" for handguns. Turns on when you draw your weapon. Records everything that happens until reholstered.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Moderator
    Of course it could be, Prosecutor: "Mr. Smith,why did you have a gun on you? Did you know/anticipate that you were going to gun down someone today?

I guess I don't understand how hearing a recording of a bad guy say, "I'm going to cut your ####s off" and you repeatedly yelling, "Stop, don't come any closer or I'll shoot" is going to make one appear guilty.

Now if I go "macho" and start yelling, "Oh yeah, just try it", I am probably going to be in some real trouble.

It seems kinda like saying don't call 911 after you shoot someone in self-defense because what you say will be recorded and will be used against you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links