Walking in public and carrying

This is a discussion on Walking in public and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in the store tonight picking up a few thing and I noticed something I do quite often when carrying, its almost an unconscious ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking in public and carrying

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Walking in public and carrying

I was in the store tonight picking up a few thing and I noticed something I do quite often when carrying, its almost an unconscious thought. I always face my gun side towards the shelf, wall, display or what ever else is there as I'm walking thru the store. I rarely "expose" my gun side to the open while browsing in a store. How about the rest of you. Do you find that if you are carrying at 3 or 9 o'clock positions you keep your gun side away from the main foot traffic of the store and towards the display shelf instead?

2. Remove Ads

I used to do that when I was new to carrying. I also always sat with my right side to the wall in restaurant booths. Nowadays, I don't really care and carry on as usual. Pretty much the only thing I watch for is reaching up for something on the top shelf in a store.

i carry at about 4;30 position and never really think about it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22 View Post
    I used to do that when I was new to carrying. I also always sat with my right side to the wall in restaurant booths. Nowadays, I don't really care and carry on as usual. Pretty much the only thing I watch for is reaching up for something on the top shelf in a store.
    Ditto, but in VA the one time I do make an effort to keep my gun side secluded from others is when an establishment that serves alcohol, man I hate that law.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ditto, but in VA the one time I do make an effort to keep my gun side secluded from others is when an establishment that serves alcohol, man I hate that law.
    Ditto! You can go into an ABC store carrying open or conceale, but if go into a bar full of drunks you have to say to everyone "Hey look, I have a gun and here it is!"
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I thought we weren't supposed to post about illegal activities here? IIRC, in VA, you have to OC in a place the serves alcohol.

Kimbrpro,
    I am sure the man is open carrying. He just tries to keep it from prying eyes. Sitting so your weapon is on the same side as the wall or on the inside of a booth.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Kimbrpro,
    I am sure the man is open carrying. He just tries to keep it from prying eyes. Sitting so your weapon is on the same side as the wall or on the inside of a booth.

Semper Fi
    Ah, I see. I thought he meant "secluded" as in concealed since this started as a CCW thread. His case is more of a retention/prevent gun grab type situation, as I see it.

I've usually got one on each hip (BUG on weak side). I don't worry about where anyone is unless they are behind me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Kimber,
    Yes VA is OC in places that sell alcohol for consumption. Like JD I also sit with my gun closest to the wall, not that I am worried about someone trying to grab it, just do it to alleviate the hassles of someone seeing it and having a cow about it. Of course if the smoking ban in resturants and bars passes I will probably be eating out a whole lot less than I do now. Just another example of the government deciding what is right for everyone else.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Kimbrpro,

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22
    Ah, I see. I thought he meant "secluded" as in concealed since this started as a CCW thread. His case is more of a retention/prevent gun grab type situation, as I see it.
    I was simply quoting you and expanding it, technically in this case it is a concealed carry issue as you have transition from CC to OC, and is directly related to the OPs opening discussion, keeping the gun away from foot traffic, just in a different setting.

Yes and no, as long as I maintain good situational awareness, anyone making a grab is going to get my Applebee's steak knife in their guts or an elbow shoved through their chest.

Mainly it's just to avoid the questions, I like to try and eat in peace and have a good dinner with the missus.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...anyone making a grab is going to get my Applebee's steak knife in their guts or an elbow shoved through their chest.
    And one of the reasons you would react quickly is that we wouldn't want Lima to get any barbeque sauce on Wilson...

Over time, the nervousness goes away, and your attitude changes. As the years go by, and your ability to conceal gets better, you’ll no longer even notice or pay any attention to the fact that you’re carrying a weapon.

When that happens you’ll be able to go almost anywhere and no one else will notice.

When I first started carrying being nervous I think I did as the original poster. These days as I have become more used to carrying I don't really worry about it. I have come to realize that even if I print no one is ever going to notice, most of the time they won't even notice me let alone something under my coat/vest.

I guess I still walk like this, not because I am carrying but simply because I always walk on the right side of the isle.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Which begs the question, what is the difference between carrying where no one can see and concealed carry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links