Well the doctor finally asked the question today...

This is a discussion on Well the doctor finally asked the question today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by exactlymypoint I used to be a chiropractor. I can tell you, they have heard/seen it all. When you answer like that, they ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well the doctor finally asked the question today...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I used to be a chiropractor. I can tell you, they have heard/seen it all. When you answer like that, they know the answer is yes and that is how they record it.

You can sort of deflect the answer without really lying by saying something like:

"Do WE have a gun in the house?? Doctor, do you know how many people die from gun shot wounds each year?"

Well, you really didn't answer the question, but you implied that you do not own firearms. The doctor would probably report a no response.

(If they doctor is any good, he will ask you to directly answer the question, but sometimes you can bamboozle them.)

I know I could have done something along those lines or just flat out said "No." I was more into making the point of that it had no concern with a medical exam.

Also, in regards to it going into a database, I figure that it wouldn't take very much effort by some "big brother" to find that I do have firearms. I have a CCW license, I purchase a hunting license every year, the supposed non registry NCIS background check, my firearms dealer transaction records on file, etc.

So as P95 summed up my feelings so perfectly "None of your (insert explitive of choice) business!" I wanted that to be the point. If she put down yes to the question, then she falsified my medical record, because I did not answer yes.

I really don't think the guns are an issue to her. I really feel that it stems from a larger push in the medical community by anti-gun advocates. I intend to slowly work into the conversation here in the future so that I can try and win her to our side and to stop asking that question.

Another response I did think of saying was, "I understand that your line of questioning is intended help me identify any potential hazard to my family. Let me assure you that my family's safety is of the upmost priority to me. I activly work on a daily basis to take every reasonable precaution against any potential danger to my family, both within and outside of my home."
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I hear about this question I always wonder what the doctor would answer if you responded with, "Doctor, do you have malpractice insurance?"
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

"can I hook you up ."
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Funny that you mentioned this. Yesterday I had a conversation with a good buddy about his company's new "Work Wellness Program". One of the health questions asked was "Do you have a firearm in your home?". He said every gun owner he knew answered no, but he wanted to know how they would respond so he answered yes. Next they asked him if they were kept locked up at all times. He answered with a simple "nope!". He said a coworker's jaw dropped a little, and she asked why not. He informed her that a locked up firearm is useless.

When he got the results back, they stated that a firearm in the house is detrimental to his health, and they recommended he get rid of it. The results also stated that if he chose to own a firearm despite the inherent health risks, it is imperative that he buy a gun safe and keep it locked away at all times. I don't know whether to be more appalled or amused by all this nonsense.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Guess I'm lucky,when I walk into his office, he always asks if I'm carrying something new or better than him. He loves my P7M8.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Went to the Doc today for the first time in years. I left my EDC in the car but kept my holster on (still had my BUG in my rear pocket). Well he's doing his thing and when he is listening with his scope along my back he sees the empty holster.

Doc "Is that a holster?"
    Me "Yes"
    Doc "You a cop?"
    Me "No sir"
    Doc "Good for you, more people should carry"

I figured he wouldn't have a problem with it but people with "firearm issues" come in all different shapes and sizes.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If I'm asked by mydoc if there are any firearms in the house, I'd lift up my shirt and say "Besides this one?".

Administrator
    I told one once before my first was even born that yes, I had one, but lost it somewhere and couldnt find it. I think it might be in the couch cushions... My wife was mad at me for days, and the Doc didnt know which way to go with that one. It a classic jaw drop look on the docs face. We dont go there anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I would have asked her if she wrote prescriptions for narcotics out for herself in order to self medicate.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    I am appalled by the question and never been asked here in MN. I'm there for a medical exam and not a home exam.
    We're asked about this every single time we take our infant son to the doctor. We always say no, of course. We've had a few home health nurses and a social worker stop by (he was 6 weeks early and is going on his second surgery :-/), and I always make sure that anything firearm-related is out of sight on the day they visit.

I don't see the point of telling them there are guns in our house, or arguing with them about it; as far as I''m concerned, it's nobody's business but ours. And when junior is old enough for school, he will be taught not to tell anyone there about mom and dad packing heat, either.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I told one once before my first was even born that yes, I had one, but lost it somewhere and couldnt find it. I think it might be in the couch cushions... My wife was mad at me for days, and the Doc didnt know which way to go with that one. It a classic jaw drop look on the docs face. We dont go there anymore.
    I almost wish I would get that question so I could use this! That's hilarious!

My Dr knows the answer without having to ask due to my profession. But my Dr is a Pro2A guy who carries many of the same weapons that I do.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    I'm thinking something like "we'll come back to that one" if they are asking from a list of questions.

Then ask them why were there not questions like:

Do I have child locks on all cabinets and drawers below counter top level? Yes
    Do I have child proof door knob covers on exterior and closet doors? Yes
    Do I have child safety seats in all my vehicles and know how to properly secure them? Yes
    Do I check my sons toys for small parts and choking hazards? Yes
    Do I ensure that he eats his vegetables? Yes

If these questions were not on the list, I'd have to inquire as to the agenda of this office and whether I would care to continue to use there services.

Followed by, Are you trained to competently speak about firearms, or do you routinely stray outside of your area of training and expertise, which is why I would like to know if you have malpractice insurance.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

"How many people have you killed in your medical career by misdiagnosis or timeliness of care?"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    "How many people have you killed in your medical career by misdiagnosis or timeliness of care?"
    Ouch.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links