I got shot at! (why I always carry now)

This is a discussion on I got shot at! (why I always carry now) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a fairly nice part of town on the outskirts of Denver. I have my CCW and at the time of the incident ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got shot at! (why I always carry now)

I got shot at! (why I always carry now)

I live in a fairly nice part of town on the outskirts of Denver. I have my CCW and at the time of the incident I'm about to describe, I had my CCW but didn't carry. I saw it more as "giving myself the option" and simply "excercising my rights" to hold the ccw... Dumb, I know.

With that said... Last summer I was headed to a local shop that sells parts for camp trailers (they had a part waiting for me)... It was in a part of town I had never been in, but not a bad area at all. The shop I was heading to was a large warehouse-like building and on the opposite side of the street is a large trailer park. As I'm pulling in to the parking lot, I hear *pop* *pop* and think "kids with fireworks"... And I parked my vehicle. I got out, oblivious to the world, and as I close the door to my jeep I hear *pop* *pop* and the unmistakable sound of tumbling bullets (most likely from a .22 short) coming from the direction of the trailer park. At this point I put my jeep between myself and the shooter.

I waited for a bit and no more shots. I looked around and the owner of the shop was standing in his window with binoculars gesturing for me to get inside. Which I did.

He had already called the police. I waited around for 'em to show up and had a discussion with the shop owner during this time. This is where it gets weird...

He explains to me that there's some crazy elderly man in the trailer park who's "always shooting at 'em"... He's never hit anyone, but this business has bullet holes all over their building. Everytime the cops are called, the elderly man claims to be shooting at squirrels.

This has got to be bad for business.

After later discussing with the police (and telling them I had a CCW but was unarmed), their response was "the guy is lucky you weren't armed or you may have shot back!"

In the end, the police confiscated the gun and wrote the guy up for "reckless endangerment"... With no arrest. They did take his guns, though -- after the guy admitted to firing his gun "to shoot at the squirrels" Astonishing. They indicated that I MAY need to testify, but never called me to do so.

Did I mention that the trailerpark had no trees and the owner of the shop I was at had *never* seen a squirrel there? They're the stealthy Colorado Plains Squirrel, apparently. Very rare.

I never did actually see the shooter.

The moral of the story, I guess, is that there were several lessons learned:

1. Pay attention to those *pop*ing noises.
    2. Always Carry. Always. Always. Always. I wouldn't have needed it in this case, but the adrenaline rush and fear of being sniped at while being utterly defenseless was something I'd rather not experience again. It's unpleasant to feel hunted and not have any defense at all.
    3. Train. Practice. Run scenarios through your head (although I haven't seen any scenarios discussed here that involve responding to a sniper with your CCW)
    4. If you end up having to shoot at someone in Lakewood Colorado, just claim you were aiming for the squirrel... because then it's just a reckless endangerment charge which in all likelyhood will never make it to trial.

2. Remove Ads

Great story! And welcome.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result. Welcome!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result. Welcome!
    People greatly underestimate the physical reaction one has in that situation. It's impossible to describe.

I'm glad you were safe. Thanks for sharing!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Wow..... what a first post and good lesson. I am sure one you will not forget. On top of it the story is a good one and it has a happy ending!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Wow. Glad he had bad aim.

Curious, if you had had a pistol, what would you have done?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Wow, that is a crazy story!

Stealthy Colorado Plains Squirrel!

Always stay alert!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's not the squirrels I fear.. although those ******** are sneaky.. It's those Rocky Mountain Barking Spiders that are deadly.. don't even hear 'em and WHAM..

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Wow. Glad he had bad aim.

Curious, if you had had a pistol, what would you have done?
    I don't believe I would have done anything different if armed. But you have to remember, I only had a very general idea of where the shooter was. I didn't know if he was moving, stalking, coming after me or what. I considered trying to drive away, but the fact that my jeep was parked facing where he was, and the fact that I would've had to drive towards him to get out of there made it seem like I was just an easy target if I tried to drive off.

So in retrospect, it was that minute or two of panic when I'm behind my vehicle, not knowing exactly what's going on, where I'm going to go, or where the shooter was and what his intentions were -- when some part of me had to realize he could pretty much just walk up and shoot me.

I reckon he wasn't TRYING to hit me, or he would have at least hit my vehicle... But I wasn't thinking that *at the time*. The shop owner seemed to think it was more an act of menacing than actually trying to shoot someone.

Sounds like all the squirrels aren't in the trees...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like all the squirrels aren't in the trees...
    Or he should've been aiming at the bats in his belfry.

This is a very odd scenerio. I probably would have done the same armed or unarmed however i would have been irate no arrest was made(I don't care if the dude was 90).

Don't know about squirrels but there are definitely a lot of nuts in the Denver area. Got a good friend in Erie. Wish he would move so I didn't have to go that close to Denver to visit. I for sure always carry when in that area.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

a very un-nerving feeling huh.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links